Weapon you wanted added to the game the most

GoldenBullet

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mosin Nagant.

A 5 round, bolt-action, common as hell, robust, reliable, long-lasting, powerful lance that also functions as a rifle.

Would make the most sense to add mosins. There's a surplus of them right now. If you go to a gun show you can see crate after crate after crate of them on sale for around $90 -$130

Personally I think the number of weapons in the vanilla game should stay low focus on different "class" of weapons instead of offering a large choice of the same things that only weapon afficionados would appreciate (which can be made with mods anyway).

We already have a shotgun (short range, large spread, powerful at close distance) and a semi-automatique pistol (average in everything but light weighted), it would be nice to see :

• a hunting rifle / semi-automatique rifle with a mountable scope  (slow rate of fire, long range, precise, powerful)
  • a military rifle / semi or automatique rifle (large magazine, high rate of fire or bullet by bullet, long range, powerful)
  • a six-shooter / you know those cowboy kind of gun ;o (slower rate than pistols but more powerful and smaller mag)
  • bow & arrows
  • crossbow & bolts / more powerful than a bow but heavier and takes longer to reload/shoot

and melee wise :

• a hunting knife or military knife / way more resistant and reliable than a kitchen knife
  • shovels /  can as well be used for gardening and burrying corpses
  • machete
  • hatchet / or another kind of axe than the fire axe
  • katana / because it's a classic ;o maybe it should be rare and require a certain lvl of "blade skill"
  • craftable melee weapons (a handmade blunt weapon, a handmade blade weapon, a handmade piercing weapon) with planks/bats and different pieces of metals or parts of broken weapons + tools and stuff to craft
  • empty firearms / hilt bashing when your firearm is empty or you don't want to waste ammos/make noise.

There ! I would be surprise if most of them weren't already planned. But that's what would make sense imo.

Ditto for M1 Garand, though not as common and semi-auto. My actual weapon of choice in a real zombocalypse.

I think a semi-auto weapon that isn't the pistol won't really bring much that's new to the table. Pistols are one shot, one kill as it is, with one shot per click. I think bolt-action is the way forward (for balance).

Think of holding down CTRL and moving the mouse outside your initial range of vision by a little, and using that to cap other players/NPCs.

The 5 round per load, bolt-action, and stripper clips will be a major factor to balancing such a weapon.

As cool as going PING is, a Garand (or any other semiauto rifle) is asking to do the same as a boltie but with no meaningful delay between shots.

All of these ideas are awesome but what I'd like to see is something craft-able such as a bow but considering where the current map is finding a hunting bow wouldn't be much of a stretch. I'd love to be able to pick up my arrows after it goes through a zombies retina.

I really, really, really, really don't want to see Project Zomboid go down the DayZ route and add military grade weapons to the game.

As a matter of fact, i'd be happy just to leave it at Pistols and Shotguns. The melee focus of Project Zomboid is one of the things I love about it the most and it means you need to be up and personal. Sniping or shooting from a distance is just too easy, impersonal and boring.

I'd love to see more conventional weapons. Things that you WOULD find laying around in somebody's house or garden. So I guess:

I would like:

• Weapon "mods" such as wrapping barbed wire around a bat or wrapping a toaster in a towel.
  • Garden tools
  • Small hand axes
  • Combat Knives
  • Low-grade pistols
  • Pickaxes
  • Metal poles (rebars)
  • Home made explosives or combustibles (beyond molotovs)
  • Chainsaw. Not only would you find one in a place like Muldraugh, but it has the drawback of being very loud. Also doubles up as a great way of getting lumber!

I would NOT like:

• Machine Guns or any automatic rifles or subs.
  • Mediaeval or Ninja-Wannabe weapons. Most of your replica / commercial katanas for example are squared or dulled or so cheaply made that they would have no practical use and would break easily. A viking battleaxe also has no place in Muldraugh and would be immersion breaking to me.
  • Unrealistic Mods. Dead Island's "Electric" and "Venom" blade mods were a bit unrealistic.
  • No Sniper Rifles....
  • NO SILENCED WEAPONS!!!

I'm still not sure about the whole bow and arrow or crossbow thing....

I think that's the sort of action hero route and I doubt your average Joe would even know how to make an effective bow.

I really, really, really, really don't want to see Project Zomboid go down the DayZ route and add military grade weapons to the game.

As a matter of fact, i'd be happy just to leave it at Pistols and Shotguns. The melee focus of Project Zomboid is one of the things I love about it the most and means you need to be up and personal. Sniping or shooting from a distance is just too easy, impersonal and boring.

I'd love to see more conventional weapons. Things that you WOULD fine laying around in somebody's house or garden. So I guess:

I would like:

• Weapon "mods" such as wrapping barbed wire around a bat or wrapping a toaster in a towel.
  • Garden tools
  • Small hand axes
  • Combat Knives
  • Low-grade pistols
  • Pickaxes
  • Metal poles (rebars)
  • Home made explosives or combustibles (beyond molotovs)
  • Chainsaw. Not only would you find one in a place like Muldraugh, but it has the drawback of being very loud. Also doubles up as a great way of getting lumber!

I would NOT like:

• Machine Guns or any automatic rifles or subs.
  • Mediaeval or Ninja-Wannabe weapons. Most of your replica / commercial katanas for example are squared or dulled or so cheaply made that they would have no practical use and would break easily. A viking battleaxe also has no place in Muldraugh and would be immersion breaking to me.
  • Unrealistic Mods. Dead Island's "Electric" and "Venom" blade mods were a bit unrealistic.
  • No Sniper Rifles....
  • NO SILENCED WEAPONS!!!

I'm still not sure about the whole bow and arrow or crossbow thing....

I think that's the sort of action hero route and I doubt your average Joe would even know how to make an effective bow.

Pretty sure assault rifles will come out if Fort Knox gets released, i mean. It HAS military personnel, i do agree sniper rifles shouldn't be added since it wouldn't work out on a isometric style game. And some people do know how to improvise suppressors(Not saying our characters are cybernetic robots that know everything).

What i would like to see are variations of weapons, like more types of pistols and shotguns. Like a 'Heavy Pistol'(Icon could be based off a M1911) that is stronger than the ordinary pistol but has a capacity of 8 rounds(again, could be based off a M1911) and is louder due to the .45 ACP rounds(new rounds, also not a gun expert so i don't know if different rounds make a weapon louder or not) or a 'Semi Automatic Shotgun', some Benelli type of shotty that's semi auto?, also would love to see everyday items like pipe wrenches, brooms, etc.,

And my favorite... Machetes and other hunting weaponry. :3

Pack-a-Punched...

Bolt-action rifle what would deal great damage, but would be slow to shoot.

A Revolver. Six bullets, slow reloading, good damage.

Air gun. Doesn't deal much damage faraway, but could be used for moving hordes away.

Machete. Would be rare, but great weapon.

In the end I think there should be no ultimate "I win" weapon.

You know, 'the' weapon that once you have it renders all other weapons pointless.

I think players should find it a difficult choice to pass up on a weapon they happen across. For example, I find it nigh heart-wrenching to pass by a Fire Axe without taking it because I value them. Same for baseball bats and even kitchen knives on occasion.

And I love that feeling! That's how I know I'm playing a true survival game!

Of course some weapons will definitely be better than others ("Butterknife or Fireaxe? Hmmm..."), but I do think it's important to bridge the gap between all of the weapons in terms of their effectiveness or their "level curve".

For example, if a Cricket Bat and Baseball Bat had identical damage and durability, then you would see more people walking around with either of those weapons and things would just feel more varied. They would both be valued.

However, if the Baseball Bat was better than the cricket bat, then people would either pass up on the Cricket Bat entirely or drop it in exchange for a Baseball Bat ASAP. And things become linear, boring and repetitive. 

So I guess what I'm saying is that I disagree with the typical "weapon level up" system that many games employ where you outgrow starter weapons far too quickly and so early in the game that people learn to bypass one third of the arsenal available because "they'll find something better shortly".

Everything should have a value to the player, even after several months have passed in game. 

Vantus: I think you've got some great ideas! I like your suggestion of adding barbed wire to a bat or other blunt weapon. A barbed bat, that'd be sweet!

As others have said, I also like the idea of a rarer but more durable hunting knife or survival knife. I'd like to try the knife play-style, but the low durability has caught me off guard before.. Would a whetstone be a suitable repair object for knives? Could be limited to a number of uses.. But repairing knives would be handy.

Another idea I liked is emergency craftable weapons, specifically the idea of harvesting a table leg as a blunt weapon seems totally plausible. It'd do less damage and lower durability than the bat. But at least in a starter house you could wander out into the wild with more than a butter knife. Although busting down a table should be a noisy process..

The Big No's!

These are a list of things that are either vehemently opposed by the majority of the community, confirmed "no's" by the dev team, or impossible within the game as it is. I'm going to try to make this completely unbiased, but if you disagree with anything posted feel free to mention it. The most important ones are highlighted in red. If you take nothing else from this thread, please pay attention to these.

Aerosol Can + Lighter = Flamethrower

[n]    Beginning the game before the infection

[n]    Children or babies

[n]    An ending or any game over other than death

[n]    First Person or other viewpoint changes including camera rotation

[n]    Immunity/Cure

[n]    Military Aid

Mini Maps

[n]    Morality or Karma meter

Nudity

Nukes

[n]    Overpowered weapons/specific firearms

Overpowered Vehicles/Tanks

[n]    Personal Hygiene (going to the bathroom, etc.)

Playing as a zombie

[n]    Porting/Console Version

[n]    Random generated maps

[n]    Rape

[n]    Respawning/Quicksaving

[n]    Sex

[n]    "Special" Infected or any type of superhuman zombies

Specific named weapons (such as AK47, M14, etc.)

[n]    Unlimited/large amounts of ammo and weapons

[n]    Voiceover

[n]    Zombie Beasts or Infected Animals

[n]    Zombie Camo, or Using Zombie Guts as a Disguise

I see a few people listed it but I want Chainsaws.  Why?  Just about any house in America has one in the shed or garage, it should be almost as abundant as the baseball bat.  Of course the drawback of having the ability to chew up zeds is the noise it would make and of course attract more zeds. 

I see a few people listed it but I want Chainsaws. Why? Just about any house in America has one in the shed or garage, it should be almost as abundant as the baseball bat. Of course the drawback of having the ability to chew up zeds is the noise it would make and of course attract more zeds.

and the need for fuel which is rare even with loot set to abundant

I see a few people listed it but I want Chainsaws.  Why?  Just about any house in America has one in the shed or garage, it should be almost as abundant as the baseball bat.  Of course the drawback of having the ability to chew up zeds is the noise it would make and of course attract more zeds. 

Well the chainsaw is one of the most horrid weapons you could use in a Zombie apocalypse but it seems like it's confirmed to be added already since it's so iconic.

In the end I think there should be no ultimate "I win" weapon.

You know, 'the' weapon that once you have it renders all other weapons pointless.

There's always a "the" weapon in games.  Guns are too loud to use all the time because they attract zeds. Kitchen knives and such allow the zed too close and you could get bit even though you dispatch them.  Golf club is the worst, it literally has one sweet spot on where the zed is compared to you, and if you miss you have to back up and try to find that spot again.  In my book, the baseball bat is king for this game.  Medium range so zeds can't get close enough to bite, enough power to knock them down or away in case you need to run, and another couple whacks while they are down, then it's next please. 

I see a few people listed it but I want Chainsaws. Why? Just about any house in America has one in the shed or garage, it should be almost as abundant as the baseball bat. Of course the drawback of having the ability to chew up zeds is the noise it would make and of course attract more zeds.

and the need for fuel which is rare even with loot set to abundant

Ya I agree with that, you would think with all the cars and gas stations it wouldn't be rare but you need the two cycle engine oil and gas mix to run a chainsaw.