Finding Katanas in Museums

PunishmentPanda

You should be able to find Katanas in mexican restaurants

However in all seriousness, there is the "General George Patton Museum of Leadership" previously known as "Patton Museum of Cavalry and Armor" not very far from Muldraugh. In a later version of the game if Fort Knox gets incorporated into the map, it would be a likely place to find at least some cavalry swords. Maybe we can pretend the museum was having an ancient japanese exhibit.

Also there have been talks about maybe later adding Louisville.

But all this is all very behind on developer's list of worries and pretty irrelevant to the game having swords or not.

A true katana is very durable as long as your not an idiot and use it like a sledgehammer or something, theres a huge gap between what a real katana is and what an American made pawn shop one is.

Not true at all.  a "true" katana was made from some of the worst metal if its an ancient japaneese sword.  The level of carbon was very low and added in and tried to spread evenly with folding the steel.  Which btw, was a Celt technique.  They do not fair well for age, and the weak spots are unpredictable at best.  

They were built with a full tang and taper though.  Replica swords for the most part have better steel, but they are constructed with a welded 'rat tail' tang in the handle.  Very small pins keep the handle (tsuba on down) which means any real impact on the weapon will give you a STRONG chance of of turning your sword into what sword people call the 'idiot copter' (i.e. spinning out of control blade as it breaks away from the handle/hilt w/e.)

Modern swords with modern super steels (3V, S30V, Elmax, CTS-XHP) with the carbon evenly spread through the metal are MUCH MUCH MUCH stronger, sharper, wear resistant, and flexible than any old jap sword.  Modern high end swords will still chip/crack/ and shatter if used on the human skull or any thick bone structure.  3V would probably be the only steel that might work with such a narrow slicing blade and not go bad in the first couple of skulls to go through... but the sword would have to be a little dull to avoid edge folding.  But as 3V is not stainless, lots of upkeep would be needed to keep corrosion at bay.

For my money give me a modern made Da Dao or Oakeshott X or XIV, and you would have yourself a good zombie slayer if you need a sword.

Weapons you would want for zombies would be a axe with a thorn, mace, flail or tomahawk with a thorn.

What i mean by a true "katana" is one that is meant to be battle ready, not one that is merely used as decoration. This might surprise you, but yes a huge portion of katana's now days are made with modern techniques so saying "modern blades are better than katana's" really just makes you sound ignorant seeing a katana is a type of blade not the method used to make it. In fact, in the US you will find more modern katana's than traditional ones since traditional katana's cost alot and mostly are only made in Japan. If you acutally want to know about how katana's made watch this video, even traditional katana's are very durable by blade standards.

As far as modern steel breaking when it cuts through bones, thats not even close to true. Bones are DURABLE but that does not equate to hardness. The reason why bones are so durable is because they are made to be shock absorbant. Bones are actually very low on the scale of hardness being at a 2 out of 10. In fact, you would have a much easier time slicing bonel with a sword than trying to bash through it with a baseball bat without it shattering or denting over if aluminum

In fact, you would have a much easier time slicing bonel with a sword than trying to bash through it with a baseball bat without it shattering or denting over if aluminum

This is incredibly untrue. It's easy to puncture bone, hard to crack bone with a blunt object, and incredibly in another league difficult to slice bone. Why even post something like that if you don't actually know what you're talking about :/

Edit: not that you wouldn't dent a baseball bat; you assuredly would. But saying that it would be easier to slice is just… hilariously wrong.

Curved swords can indeed cut through bone, but only if they're well made, well sharpened, and in the hands of an experienced practitioner. But yeah, gonna go with the "most difficult" camp here. For an average joe you'd have a much easier time with a large hammer or even a baseball bat if you want to break bone.

In fact, you would have a much easier time slicing bonel with a sword than trying to bash through it with a baseball bat without it shattering or denting over if aluminum

This is incredibly untrue. It's easy to puncture bone, hard to crack bone with a blunt object, and incredibly in another league difficult to slice bone. Why even post something like that if you don't actually know what you're talking about :/

Edit: not that you wouldn't dent a baseball bat; you assuredly would. But saying that it would be easier to slice is just… hilariously wrong.

Yea can say the same thing to you, slicing through bone is easier than shattering it. How do you think people in 1600's were able to do amputations without powered tools? If your trying to argue that an ordinary person would have no hope of slicing through bone, than I can easily counter that an ordinary person would have absolutely no hope of shattering through a skull. The only weapon that your "average" person could actually use to break a skull is a full sledgehammer and most people couldn't even wield that correctly. If you really want to go to town on something, sure a baseball probably could do that job. On a single person and then it would be ruined beyond repair. The same goes for the pole cue, golf club, pretty much every single other blunt weapon in game. The only thing you got right in your entire post is the fact that it's easy to puncture skull in which none of the weapons in PZ applies besides the screwdriver.

However since it seems that some people just like to insult people and ignore obvious facts, here is a video to enlighten you.

Yea can say the same thing to you, slicing through bone is easier than shattering it. How do you think people in 1600's were able to do amputations without powered tools? If your trying to argue that an ordinary person would have no hope of slicing through bone, than I can easily counter that an ordinary person would have absolutely no hope of shattering through a skull. The only weapon that anyone could actually use to break a skull is a full sledgehammer and most people couldn't even wield that correctly

...Can't tell if you're serious or just trolling now. My apologies on missing the joke. If not, you realize they used serrated bone saws not fucking solid edged blades, right? Right?

I've put a knife through a skull before. I've cut through bone with a bone saw before. I've even cracked a skull with a blunt object before? What experience do you have that contradicts all logic, reason, and thousands of years of human experience?

So when your wrong, do you just call everyone a troll to feel better. Also how about looking at my entire post.

You edited that into your post. And I'm serious, I can't tell if you're trolling. But seriously, they had bone saws they didn't cut through bone with slicing weapons, they cut through them with sawing tools. And if you think that a Youtube video with the rock music and teenage guy saying that his 'new' zombie is so real is factual evidence then you really have no place in a logical arena whether you're trolling or not.

Edit: Wait, nevermind, they have an attractive young girl showing off the sword. Now I'm convinced that this is indeed a factual piece of evidence; my apologies for not taking you seriously. Oh, but seriously, you do know that these people are a joke, right?

Ah, watched to the end of the video. They're using little thin PVC as the bone analogue. So... do you really still feel proud of linking that video?

Edit: To be clear. PVC may be close to the hardness of bone but the structure of it is laughably incomparable. It has much more flex and give, which is why you mistakenly think it stands up to blunt force better than it does. Bone is a rigid, carbon structure that is very resilient to flexing and is much more likely to crack or shatter. The structure of PVC is also such that it's much easier to slice. The mesh- almost a lattice- inside bone makes it more resistant to slicing. In fact, the majority of sword attacks to the skull actually kill by crushing the bone (like a blunt weapon) not by slicing through the bone. This has been well documented by skull from battles throughout history. Further, the rounded shape of a skull also tends to deflect slicing attacks (much like the angled plates of a tank deflect small arms). It's much easier to land a solid blow with a blunt or piercing weapon because they apply pressure over a wide area (blunt) giving more friction or a very small area (piercing) which gives more force per area allowing it to grip much better.

Missing point number one (in this entertaining argument): amputations are most likely held at the joints (elbow, shoulder, knee, wrist) because cutting there is a little easier. (Of course nowadays you can cut right through a shin but i'm pretty sure around 1700 they preferred joints because it was easier.) Though an amputation at that time was a pretty risky task where you were pretty likely to die.

Missing point number two: stating that an average Person is unable to shatter a skull except with a sledgehammer makes you Sound pretty ignorant or like the Rathlord said, trolling. An ordinary Hammer (500g Hammer) is a pretty devastating weapon if applied to the head with a nice swing. If you can't believe, head to home depot, call ambulance first and knock yourself a good one. ;D

Missing point number one (in this entertaining argument): amputations are most likely held at the joints (elbow, shoulder, knee, wrist) because cutting there is a little easier. (Of course nowadays you can cut right through a shin but i'm pretty sure around 1700 they preferred joints because it was easier.) Though an amputation at that time was a pretty risky task where you were pretty likely to die.

Like I said, though, bone saws have been around since amputations have really been a thing. So that's not really applicable at all, and pretty much just goes to show Golden doesn't know what he's talking about =\

And just for the record, anyone who was being serious about trying to do this kinda stuff would use a pig head. Easily found at local butchers, not all that expensive, and you don't have to worry about you having no idea what a good skull analogue is just like the jokesters and Zombie Go Boom.

Ah, watched to the end of the video. They're using little thin PVC as the bone analogue. So... do you really still feel proud of linking that video?

Edit: To be clear. PVC may be close to the hardness of bone but the structure of it is laughably incomparable. It has much more flex and give, which is why you mistakenly think it stands up to blunt force better than it does. Bone is a rigid, carbon structure that is very resilient to flexing and is much more likely to crack or shatter. The structure of PVC is also such that it's much easier to slice. The mesh- almost a lattice- inside bone makes it more resistant to slicing. In fact, the majority of sword attacks to the skull actually kill by crushing the bone (like a blunt weapon) not by slicing through the bone. This has been well documented by skull from battles throughout history. Further, the rounded shape of a skull also tends to deflect slicing attacks (much like the angled plates of a tank deflect small arms). It's much easier to land a solid blow with a blunt or piercing weapon because they apply pressure over a wide area (blunt) giving more friction or a very small area (piercing) which gives more force per area allowing it to grip much better.

The neck was PVC, the skull was ballistic crystal meant to emulate the human skull with 99% accuracy in density and hardness. So yes keep on talking out of your rear while not paying attention to what anyone else is saying or showing. Also if your talking about deflecting attacks this would apply far more to blunt attacks seeing that the force is applied to a larger area and is more likely to move yoru target than a slice is.

I don't have experience with real katana's but I do have experience with short blades like the Kukri and they can definitely cut through bones. Also judging someone by their avatar, real smart on your part aren't you a role model for all of us to follow.

Like I said, though, bone saws have been around since amputations have really been a thing. So that's not really applicable at all, and pretty much just goes to show Golden doesn't know what he's talking about =\

And just for the record, anyone who was being serious about trying to do this kinda stuff would use a pig head. Easily found at local butchers, not all that expensive, and you don't have to worry about you having no idea what a good skull analogue is just like the jokesters and Zombie Go Boom.

You know it's a show of character when you can admit when your wrong. So your saying if a test is done on a pig than it's valid. Good to know. Try not to come up with the first excuse that pops up in your head this time. If you have a quesy stomach anyone, don't watch

Also lord knows before you try to say something like "only sword Grandmasters can do stuff like this with a blade" that's a fallacy. A blade is a weapon like any other and is extremely deadly. Of course just like a gun those who train with it will be better than those who don't but the thinking of "Katana is ultimate weapon if your learn how to use it or total garbage if you don't" is simply not even close to true.

You know it's a show of character when you can admit when your wrong.

Oh, such sweet irony. You do realize that you're the one claiming it's easier to deflect blunt trauma. You have no room to lecture others on being stubborn when you spout such ludicrous, albeit hilarious, claims for the sake of "winning" the discussion.

Oh, such sweet irony. You do realize that you're the one claiming it's easier to deflect blunt trauma. You have no room to lecture others on being stubborn when you spout such ludicrous, albeit hilarious, claims for the sake of "winning" the discussion.

Has nothing to do with "winning" the discussion. Its just amazing when people try to state that I don't know what I'm talking about when they don't. It's also  funny how he is continuously trying to say things like "your just a troll" or "internet teenager who doens't know anything" when i have shown him continuous facts and VIDEO PROOF. I just showed a video of a katana cutting through a crystal replica of a skull that had 99% of the same density and hardness. And it's amazing obviously that you didn't read or watch anything I posted either besides the first sentence. If you did watch the 2nd video you would know that yes it's much easier to deflect blunt force trauma than a slice. There is a reason why when you box they tell you when you get hit to move with the blow. When someone slices you, your body cannot move because it's slicing through it's not pushing. Blunt force is a force and it directs itself through your entire body, so yea it's much easier to deflect blunt force than than a good cut.

None of what you've shown is proof. And your argument is weak, how do boxers minimizing impacts from punches somehow equate to slashing weapons being harder to deflect? Not only that, a fist is not a tool, it's much different to take away power from a punch than it is to deflect the blow of a hammer. You're just throwing things together and not much of what you're saying is based on actual fact.

The neck was PVC, the skull was ballistic crystal meant to emulate the human skull with 99% accuracy in density and hardness.

Ballistic Crystal is a lovely little catch phrase for PVC. They even say it in their video that's dedicated to explaining the "crystal" skulls. Also, I just explained in excruciating detail why PVC is a horrible analogue for bone. It's truly laudable how puerile it is to simultaneously monologue about how one participant isn't perusing your entire assessment while entirely ignoring my own statement.

Also if your talking about deflecting attacks this would apply far more to blunt attacks seeing that the force is applied to a larger area and is more likely to move yoru target than a slice is.

Also *just* explained why this wasn't true. Oh the irony.

I don't have experience with real katana's but I do have experience with short blades like the Kukri and they can definitely cut through bones.

I have experience with real blades on real bones. Get back to me when you have first hand evidence.

Also judging someone by their avatar, real smart on your part aren't you a role model for all of us to follow.

I never mentioned or referenced your avatar in any way shape or form so... "real smart" to you, too?

You know it's a show of character when you can admit when your wrong. So your saying if a test is done on a pig than it's valid. Good to know. Try not to come up with the first excuse that pops up in your head this time. If you have a quesy stomach anyone, don't watch

I hope you realize he was chopping through a deboned pig. I'd cool it with the insults, because it's not only obnoxious, you're also wrong about your own links. Twice now.*

Edit: **** Watched more in the video, you're right. He did chop through the thin narrow part of the back of a pig's skull. Impressive, except not. Like with all elongated skulls, they taper to near paper thinness near the back. My apologies for not making it all the way through- I get pretty tired of their products being pushed on me in hilarious and useless ways.

Has nothing to do with "winning" the discussion. Its just amazing when people try to state that I don't know what I'm talking about when they don't. It's also  funny how he is continuously trying to say things like "your just a troll" or "internet teenager who doens't know anything" when i have shown him continuous facts and VIDEO PROOF. I just showed a video of a katana cutting through a crystal replica of a skull that had 99% of the same density and hardness. And it's amazing obviously that you didn't read or watch anything I posted either besides the first sentence. If you did watch the 2nd video you would know that yes it's much easier to deflect blunt force trauma than a slice. There is a reason why when you box they tell you when you get hit to move with the blow. When someone slices you, your body cannot move because it's slicing through it's not pushing. Blunt force is a force and it directs itself through your entire body, so yea it's much easier to deflect blunt force than than a good cut.

first of all i think you should stop to mess things up just to feel entitled to be pissen.

he didn't call you an internet teenager, he called the guy from the "ballistic crytsal" video a internet teenager. And as also has already been stated by Enigma it seems that ballistic crystal is bollocks.

Secondly, just because it is on youtube, doesn't mean it is a proof.

thirdly (and this is the point where it get's funny again): you start to compare boxing as blunt force with slicing of a katana. It's like saying "my car is bulletproof, because my airrifle can't penetrate it!"