Actually Been There.

Buzzkil88

I don't see why height-maps couldn't be implemented, I mean stairs/fire escapes should be using a sloping piece of some sort, which in a sense makes the current game have height-mapping capabilities, it just needs to be tweaked and adjusted for vision, movement, and possibly a system that re-evaluates rain/fire for areas above (or below) the main level plane.

I'd really like to be able make basement levels for houses and player-created houses, if they decide to actually get farther into development of Height-mapping.

I really hope the profanity filter can be toggled, if me and a bunch of my mates are playing we always talk like sailors. Why filter what 19 year olds say?

I don't see why height-maps couldn't be implemented, I mean stairs/fire escapes should be using a sloping piece of some sort, which in a sense makes the current game have height-mapping capabilities, it just needs to be tweaked and adjusted for vision, movement, and possibly a system that re-evaluates rain/fire for areas above (or below) the main level plane.

I'd really like to be able make basement levels for houses and player-created houses, if they decide to actually get farther into development of Height-mapping.

It will also make for interesting building designs where you can have a perched sniper overlooking an entrance.

• 2 weeks later...

Heightmaps as good as confirmed, but they could be a year or two away. Or they could be six months away. Maybe even three months away. They are certainly not around the corner though, but we really want the wilderness to be more interesting, including proper big trees with canopies, little cliffs, rivers that have proper beds, hills and whatnot. 

There are no immediate or medium term plans to add 3D terrain, but it's the kinda thing that may serve a fun side project when main tasks get my head in a knot.

Btw taliban dummy with goat is a bit offensive dont you think?

To whom?  The taliban?  Who would care?

In any event, goats are a commodity in that area of the world and goatherds are common.  Therefore if you are going to do a mock-up of someone from that region, including a goat is just being accurate.

In any event, goats are a commodity in that area of the world and goatherds are common.  Therefore if you are going to do a mock-up of someone from that region, including a goat is just being accurate.

It's offensive to people. Just because i'm not Chinese, doesn't mean I suddenly don't get offended at racism toward Chinese people. Same goes with a Afghani Taliban mock-up, it just doesn't make sense to defend that sort of caricature. It does nothing good at all, perhaps a victimless crime, but makes me embarrassed as a citizen of this great country.

It's offensive to people. Just because i'm not Chinese, doesn't mean I suddenly don't get offended at racism toward Chinese people. Same goes with a Afghani Taliban mock-up, it just doesn't make sense to defend that sort of caricature. It does nothing good at all, perhaps a victimless crime, but makes me embarrassed as a citizen of this great country.

Agreed - you don't have to be a member of a particular group to be offended by something racist towards that group.  I suspect where you and I would differ is whether or not this particular 'caricature' is in fact racist (in the sense that most Americans understand that word) and beyond that whether or not the fact that anyone finds it offensive is really relevant.

AND NOW, ANOTHER USELESS FACT! :P

Stairs don't really work that way atm. Game Characters can't actually move in vertical decimal increments, its just the animations are offset to make it look like they are.... Moving in a decimal increment on the z axis cause's pathing errors :(

Think of stairs & sheetropes as an elevator with an animation attached to them.... That's pretty much how they work atm

I suspect where you and I would differ is whether or not this particular 'caricature' is in fact racist (in the sense that most Americans understand that word) and beyond that whether or not the fact that anyone finds it offensive is really relevant.

It's ignorant, like racism, since a more accurate portrayal would be a Taliban using American weaponry, since the United Sates of America supported them militarily to hinder Russia's efforts in Afghanistan a few decades back.

Anyway, really cool information about where they keep those gold Bullion, and I wonder if we'll find it in PZ. Can't wait to see where they take it and personally, and I think having different elevations will really help with immersion. High ground starts to become a factor, which is great.

i very much enjoy the prospect of heightmaps 

but first and foremost "multi-lvl line of sight" has to be properly implemented

not being able to see a horde on the street when you chill out on the balcony ... is ... to say the least ... meh!

same goes for not being able to shoot at them