Actually Been There.

Buzzkil88

Pretty cool seeing Muldraugh and West Point in the game. I have actually been there, almost stayed at the SunStar Hotel even  (except its really called the Golden Manor) but we ended up staying in Shepherdsville which is just east of West Point. We stopped at Dodge's Chicken and bought gas and cigarettes, not sure the name of the place in the game, but its the gas station near the laundry mat on Dixie Hwy. I was working inside an underground tunnel at Fort Knox that they used to test munitions and explosives.

and trust me when I tell you, the helicopters in the game are spot on...  They are constantly flying blackhawks over there. annoying as hell. They have an entire mock village built in the woods where they fly in and shoot the place up with door gunners then repel out onto the roof tops. They told us at the gate "don't look, don't stop, don't take pictures"  lol.   At the edge of the mock town there was a little shack that had a dirt bike propped up against it with a Taliban dummy sitting in a chair holding a rope attached to a goat haha   so when you add the base in the game, don't forget the goat. (I really don't expect the map to extend that far into the base) The whole road (Mt Eden Rd.) is littered with old tanks, trucks, etc that the army has used for target practice. (you can see it on google earth or google maps)

The only thing that zomboid has wrong is the flat groung... its quite mountainous instead. Very cool nostalgia playing a map where you have actually been. Such an awesome game. well done!

Wow that was very fascinating! Cool to hear that it's pretty realistic!

I heard recently they chose muldraugh so they could include Fort Knox at some stage so they probs will extend the map out that far.

Same deal with more mountainous, 3D terrain. Apparently they're adding hilly terrain as well as basement floors/sewer etc. so there will be more layers to explore.

Thanks for the mental image of the goat too!

yeah I read on the forum they may even add in parts of Louisville, that would be nuts. Seriously if they add that much map and 3d terrain with some elevation, this game is going to be so epic.

and I knew they planned on adding Fort Knox, but Fort Knox is huge, if you look on google maps or something, the whole forest behind Fort Knox is all military base (that's actually where the cool stuff happens)  If they add Mt Eden road, that would be most amazing, its literally a tank/truck/hummer grave yard all the way through the woods that cuts across from the main base, over towards Shepherdsville, with a mock town mentioned above.  

Thanks for the kind comment unsaved_progress.

Same deal with more mountainous, 3D terrain. Apparently they're adding hilly terrain as well as basement floors/sewer etc. so there will be more layers to explore.

What? Is mountainous, 3D terrain confirmed? That with the map extending from Louisville (i hope) to Fort Knox... Omg, is going to be so epic. How on earth are they going to design all that?

Tentative Yes's

These things are things that either the community overwhelmingly supports or the devs have already said they're interested in adding. These things do not need further threads, so please refrain.

[y]    Ability to lock doors

[m]  Amputation

[y]   Animals

[y]   Hunting

[m]   Armor

[y]    Barricading with furniture

[Added]   Bodies of water 

[y]    Bows and Crossbows

[y]    Cauterizing wounds

[y]    Car Batteries

[y]    Chainsaw

[y]    Cleaning up corpses/blood

[Added]    Crawling Zombies

[y]    Dogs

[y]    Electronics

[y]   Feral Animals

[y]    Generators

[y]    iPods

[y]    Malnutrition

[y]    Area Maps (no location marker)

[y]    More animations

[y]    More map content

[y]    More weapons

[y]    More jobs

[y]    More sprites

[SoonMore Baldspot and Kate

[y]    More/Different sneaking animations

[y]    Movable items (such as wheelie bins)

[SoonNPC's (of all types, good and bad)

[SoonNPC relationships

[SoonNPC companions

[SoonNPC infection

[SoonNPC management

[y]    Online Multiplayer

[y]    Passing out

[y]    Profanity Filter

[Added]    Rain Barrels

[y]    Suicide

[y]    Sadist Movie Director

[m]   Sleep quality

[y]    Sewers and basements

[y]    Traps

[Added]    Unarmed combat

[y]    Vehicles

I guess it isn't quite confirmed, but I think i read about it someplace...

(in response to tsambo)

So, Buzzkil88, can you fish in Ohio river near Louisville all the way through to West Point? Would you catch anything?

How is the water quality of the river at these parts? What would happen if you drank it without boiling it? Is it even safe to drink it after you boil it? I read that Ohio river is one of the most polluted rivers in the US (although it provides drinking water for 5 million people!)...

My Grandmother lives in Highview County in Louisville, KY. I can only imagine what they come up with for a map to cover all over that land, it's so vast and there's a lot to see, spread all over the city. Military aircraft fly through all the time near there and due to the high chances for snow and rain, the water near there is very clean, IMO. (I live in TX)

Can't say much for outside of Louisville, but West Point on the google Earth map looks nearly identical, it's quite amazing.

What? Is mountainous, 3D terrain confirmed? That with the map extending from Louisville (i hope) to Fort Knox... Omg, is going to be so epic. How on earth are they going to design all that?
It's been confirmed that terrain heightmaps are a possibility.

It's been confirmed that terrain heightmaps are a possibility.

I dont think it will ever be implemented. I dont really think it's necessary tho. I would love a fort upside of a hill but heights would probably fuck up buildings and view.

Btw taliban dummy with goat is a bit offensive dont you think?

ya know, i tend to believe someone who is actually on the staff of TIS.

seems to me he may know a bit more about it than the rest of us.

Oh, but nasKo is not a dev so he isn't deciding those things and all he said was what the devs have said to the community. 3D makes it a possibility to make hills etc. It is very likely that it will not happen due to so much changes that needs to be done in the engine and map altogether.

Having military firing ranges, mock towns/obstacle course for counter terrorism drills... I like the sound of this. When the start adding in content for the military bases and the like, we should have some nice terrain to plan on/over/under.

Hell, if some of the military installations I've seen in Australia are anything to go by, even a small military set up should become as epic as the train yard. Some buildings, some supplies, and strong perimeter walls covering a wide area would make for the most epic of survivor bases.

I believe heightmaps are very likely, considering EasyPickins already worked on the tools to support this.

They might not be in the game for a while but at some point, they surely will

Well, thanks. Now you made me look silly while divulging information that you have purposely hidden from us and by now saying that, making it awesome news! :D

So heightmaps confirmed!   YAY!  haha      and if not, I am completely ok with that. The flat map doesn't really take away from the game in any way in my opinion. I could also see all sorts of problems and complications from having heightmaps. Shadows, line of sight, zombies hitting you from terrain lower than you and you no being able to hit back, broken bones when you fall a square, getting stuck, fires....oh god the fires...    shooting, flashlights...

but then again I don't make games, I just play them, so all of those problems may not be a problem at all.

Do the words 'crown fire' mean anything to you?

Imagine how much destruction bushfires would cause in the Kentucky woods...

Yeah, well imagine how much destruction a fire in a city like Louisville can cause if left alone!!! I think i would want a random fire destroying one fifth of the map to be able to happen (offcourse the user should be able to turn off that posibility in options... or not?). I feel conflicted on the matter. :P

My grandfather used to work at Fort Knox back in the 80's (he was the Deputy Assistant Commandant for Education Technology), but they lived in Elizabethtown, which is a bit south. I'd love love love it if the map extended past Fort Knox and covered E-town too.