Ghilly Suits

CatGuitarist

Only 1 person did anything remotely "roid ragey"

My response was remembering the dumb arguments from the posts about that camo tactic.. The horrors.

please don't tell me, it was me...i have such a nice Forum statistic  :cry:

there_is_no_need_to_be_upset-4390.gif

Always love the flying lawnmower :P

Having camouflage, be it clothing in muted colours, looted hunting/military gear or home made ghille suits, would add to the game, if only for hunting. Slowly inching across a wide open field due to the zombies upwind and in the distance? Also a good idea. The zombies in Build 25 seem to be using their eyes a lot more, and anything to give survivors a bit of an advantage, and a new mechanic to play with, seems fun.

For multiplayer? Make the player wearing the camo gear fade into and out of view at different rates depending on what they're wearing. Boom. Done. But, this also opens up another, interesting possibility. Tying a survivor up, dressing them in high visibility gear you looted from a construction site, and discharging a firearm before leaving. That, or having the people assigned to pulling the horde around wearing fluoro vests (that they can easily pack away or toss), for that little extra attention grabbing.

Visibility and concealment could certainly be interesting, if handled properly.

Slowly inching across a wide open field due to the zombies upwind and in the distance? Also a good idea. The zombies in Build 25 seem to be using their eyes a lot more, and anything to give survivors a bit of an advantage, and a new mechanic to play with, seems fun.

Well, if the zombies do have three senses to spot us, it only stnads to reason that some countermeasures be available for all of them (not saying 100%, foolproof countermeasures, just something to give you an edge). As far as I read, the set of available clothing was on the "to do" list (can't find the link for that post now though), so while giving it one more parameter ("brightness") sounds easy, the "does zombie see you ?" mechanic might be a little more tricky.

Also, if we're on the subject of sight, we could go crazy in yet another direction: Empower the sun. Correct me if I'm wrong, but for now the time of day (and, hence, the position of the sun in the sky) determines the lighting level. The diffuse light level to be certain. What if we had a point light source as well ? Shadows would likely be a burden on the graphics engine (or would they ?), but what about reflections seen as making the player a source of light (whereupon the clothes would need both a "brightness' or "reflectance' and a 'roughness' index - think: black woolen sweater and a shiny black suit) ?

Ghillie suits would be a neat addition later on, but I would prefer a plethora of other issues to be considered before that.

If nothing else, the ability of clothing to resist scratches and bites, as well as a wider selection of clothes and armor (more realistically denim and maybe leather) to be made available first.

Imo.. It's not that common that people/military/hunters got a ghillie suit stashed at their home.. it's even rare in military bases.. it's not even common in a hunter's lodge, maybe you'll find an orange hunting vest, some coffee and beefjerky :). a small chance in huntingstores if so.

Whats a ghilliesuits benefit when you can't prone nor crouch ? why cant we not use a more improvised method? cardboard + greenpaint + leaves to make a "walking bush disguise"? even a green shirt + scotchtape +leaves will do it. will it make you more stealthier then ?

Also, it feels like it rip the ghulliesuit straight out of dayZ.. if u know what i mean.

Imo.. It's not that common that people/military/hunters got a ghillie suit stashed at their home.. it's even rare in military bases.. it's not even common in a hunter's lodge, maybe you'll find an orange hunting vest, some coffee and beefjerky :). a small chance in huntingstores if so.

Whats a ghilliesuits benefit when you can't prone nor crouch ? why cant we not use a more improvised method? cardboard + greenpaint + leaves to make a "walking bush disguise"? even a green shirt + scotchtape +leaves will do it. will it make you more stealthier then ?

Also, it feels like it rip the ghulliesuit straight out of dayZ.. if u know what i mean.

You've read the whole thread, did you? Cause if you did you would have recognized that we're mostly talking about self made makeshift ghillie suits :P

Imo.. It's not that common that people/military/hunters got a ghillie suit stashed at their home.. it's even rare in military bases.. it's not even common in a hunter's lodge, maybe you'll find an orange hunting vest, some coffee and beefjerky :). a small chance in huntingstores if so.

You've read the whole thread, did you? Cause if you did you would have recognized that we're mostly talking about self made makeshift ghillie suits :P

Well.. not all to be exact But! crafting one sure it works for me =). no complaints about that. it must have some sort of feature? maybe more weight added to ur character but less chance to get spotted by a player? =). or is it just for cometics?

Sheets are heavy when folded up in to stacks. Its like saying why is paper so heavy?.

I made a ghillie suit once before i joined up, i was 12 at the time.

I picked up a full size green army netting from a army surplus store. It was 6 feet by 4 feet. The holes in the netting was about an inch in size and the net was made from thick dark green cording.

From that i cut up brown, black and green old t-shirts, with a mix of shades in to strips about a 6inch to 10inches in length. Then began knotting the strips on the netting.. I got thick climbing cord and threaded the cord through the center across the 4 feet length. Then a second towards one end as thats for wrapping aroundy neck area so can be tied off like a cloak with hood.

Then i had the old british H webbing complete with kidney pouches and mag pouches.. I tied the entire net to my webbing straps and so when i put on my webbing. The entire ghillie suit would hang down around me with a hooded bit. And from that was my suit.

I would break branches and other local foliage and add to the suit when needed to help brake up the human shape of the ghillie suit.

It worked for me, when i was in the army cadets.before i grew up to join up.