Randomly generated maps

tadejcek007

Hi community,

Random map generator for Project zomboid is only thing (with NPC's) that i would love to see added in game. It gets a little boring when you know whole map and you lose great experience when you first start a game and a first time you play on map. I would love option n singleplayer that you will be able to choose if you want to play known map or play a different map every playthrough. i love exploring so i would love that option.

Few days ago i also tweet to developers with question about randomly generated maps in game. They tweet me back that they probably won't add this but modding community perhaps can made this for people like me.

So i'm aksing you community :D. Is it even possible to make something like this? And if it is, will ever be out? First for singleplayer because i'm sure that it'll be very hard to make this work for multiplayer.

Thank you all for answers ;)

Currently, we have map tools available to anyone interested and some maps in the works, so some nice exploring should be coming our way... That's to say I share your sentiment, nevertheless, it may be impossible or extremely arduous at the very least, to construct such a map generator.

Procedurally generated stuff tends to be simple (vide Timber and Stone, Minecraft, etc.), so coding in the constraints for generating houses (or at least houses that don't look like something out of Picasso's nightmare) could be ...tricky.

Yeah, it should be possible to do; but this is without looking at the map file contents. It would involve writing a randomization program (or mod) and then generating a map within, then loading it in the game. Probably do-able honestly. But I have doubts it would result in the same level of immersion without a considerable amount of work and attention to detail. Otherwise you might end up walking into a gas station in the middle of a forest or other weirdness. ;)

Possible, but if it ever existed maps would probably look fucked up. As makkenhoff said, you will end up finding a random gas station in the forest. So, you should just wait for user-made maps. :D

Speaking of user-made maps, here's a little sneak-peek of my map project Rebuild:

py14tdth671pi18fg.jpg

Yeah i understand :) it's possible but it will be very very hard to make it work and to make it right. Great work Jela311! I love almost every user-made maps by now. But i'm just saying that you might one day play already all of them (hard to belive but possible) or expecially when game will be out for very long (10 years) and mod community will stop making more maps (hope that will never happen :D) you will still be able to play on new/fresh map. But yeah for now user-mad maps are all i need but you know i was just wondering and hoping that we'll see mod like this in game sometime in the future.

It gets a little boring when you know whole map and you lose great experience when you first start a game and a first time you play on map.

Boring? It's all about knowing the map, knowing landmarks, being able to get yourself around competently. At least for me anyway.

I love Minecraft's procedurally generated worlds but I don't want to see that implemented everywhere. If you compare Minecraft to GTAV's Los Santos, I know which world I would rather play in. 

In case it wasn't clear it's the intricately hand crafted map not the random biome mess. 

Yeah agree. You need to know the place so you can survive. But if you play i don't know like 100 times on the same map is not the same experience anymore because you already know where to go, where you are and so on. I think that option for random map it'll give a game a new challenge (don't understand me wrong i'm not for that only option in game is random generated map i would love just to have an option so i can choose between random map or known map (like west point) playthrough) but yes i agree that map generator for this game must work properly and it has to make sence which will be very difficult thing to do.

I actually though first few times playing through the map was randomly generated. LOL

This would be a great idea. Perhaps a way to possibly overcome the random mess it could create what if you split the map into say 9 sections and it will only spawn certain things.

So for example the first row of 3 could be all forest and forest type buildings/locations, so log cabins, lumber mill, farms.

Next row of 3 could be only urban, so housing, shops, petrol station, schools, churchs etc

Last row of 3 could be industrial.

Perhaps not this methodical, althought a random map would be awesome having "set" section that will randomly create buildings of a set type could be a way to curb weird designs.

Also for MP, it will create a bit more excitment and longevity as it allows heros to create new bases and bandits missions to try find these, as generally bases tend to pop up in the same "highest profitability" positions

I know that developers won't include random generated maps, but community might be able to do a mod wiht random map generator mehanic (at least thats what dev team said to me on twitter) so i'm asking modders if that kind of mod is even possible. I'm not suggestion developers for this but i'm asking moding community.

Preface, I'm not a coder, I don't -know-, but the line of reasoning I came to is this;

it's theoretically possible, as an external program, I see it happening is like this - 

You create tiles out of existing objects, buildings, roads, and such. These tiles need to be fairly large in order to make any sense when they're put together, and are defined by the road they sit on. Thus, you have tiles with potential exits north, south, east, and west.

These tiles then "snap together" based on their roadwork, so you don't have roads just turning into nothing. Everything ultimately fits together like a puzzle. The program is written to prevent roads from ending abruptly, or trying to join a north/south tile with an east/west one. 

Thus, the tiles define the environment in a semi-random sort of way, you establish that the roads determine which pieces can sit next to which other pieces, and there are several potential tiles for each road configuration. 

Now that might not always (or often) give you a sensible map, a school right in the middle of a shopping strip, or a whole bunch of gas station tiles in a row. But it provides the basis for further examination. And hey, maybe a fun after-school project for a budding software engineer.

don't any of the new people bother to read this thread http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/192-commonly-suggested-suggestions-read-before-posting/

there will be NO random generated maps.

Also, hi, welcome to the modding section of the forums, which is not to be confused with the suggestion box. Save your condescending attitude. You're contributing nothing useful to this discussion.