Your best fortress

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The best I've ever built was a few walls and barricades with fences outside of the walls. Eventually I died from a horde. Currently I plan to make a great fortress. But that'll probably be hard because I'm running around the whole map being surrounded by hordes  :-D. One month in and I don't even have a home anymore :(

How are you all able to build these huge fortresses? I'm lucky if I can build a couple water barrels and walls before I'm surrounded by multiple hordes.

For me I always use the NE farm house for my main safehouse.  In the game that the screenshot is taken from I basically got lucky and didn't have a great deal of zombies at that location yet.  I like to get there within the first 2-3 days of a play through and then just use it as a drop off point.  I will often spend 4 days at a time in the town scavenging so maybe that helps keep the zombies away.  I use the time I have before the power goes out to basically scavenge as much food, cooking pots, and importantly 1 of every skill book I can find.  After the change to soups in the next version I will adapt by just mainly ignoring fresh food as ingredients for soup, as you won't have the time to eat most of it if, just eat the stuff raw.  

Once the power goes out I switch to finding tools (axe, sledgehammer, saw etc).  Then I turn my attention to clearing out all the warehouses of nails and ammo, then finally I turn attention to building.  Tip in the current builds, don't do any carpentry unless you have the max skill modifier for that level (books) and don't build walls until you have level 4 complete.  Just sawing wood will give you lots of xp with the modifiers and build things that don't make a difference with level (crates,water barrels, barricades).    Note I understand that higher level carpentry will give stronger barricades but it wont make enough of a difference at the start of the game to matter 

Once NPC's are in the game though I doubt I will be leaving my safehouse that much if they are going to loot it :D

This was my best attempt in 2.9.9.17.  Unfortunately the build bug/issue when building things above ground level prevents me from finishing it and is the reason why there is a staircase at the front and random tiles and boards in the air 

How did you managed to destroy the white fence?

I've tried many times with the Sledgehammer but it seems i can't remove that. Maybe I'm doing something wrong...

I'm currently playing 2.9.9.16

This was my best attempt in 2.9.9.17.  Unfortunately the build bug/issue when building things above ground level prevents me from finishing it and is the reason why there is a staircase at the front and random tiles and boards in the air 

How did you managed to destroy the white fence?

I've tried many times with the Sledgehammer but it seems i can't remove that. Maybe I'm doing something wrong...

I'm currently playing 2.9.9.16

Make sure the sledgehammer is equipped then right click the fence, you should get an option that says something like destroy fence .  The gates can't be destroyed this way, you need to just hit them with the axe.  That's why the side posts are left 

Make sure the sledgehammer is equipped then right click the fence, you should get an option that says something like destroy fence .  The gates can't be destroyed this way, you need to just hit them with the axe.  That's why the side posts are left 

I'm gonna try that, thank you.