Your best fortress

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the older version I walled off a block of 5 detached houses and broke all the garden fences giving me 5 fortified storage lockers with no way in other than the back door which was only accessible after getting through a thick forest. Ah the good old days where you could kill an NCP, find a sledge hammer and destroy entire houses to get enough wood to build anything you wanted.

I took refuge in a restaurant and spent a long time boarding up everything. I lasted ages in there, it was beautiful... Then one day I thought I'd go through the back door (I'd usually leave via a side window) to get to the warehouse next door, there was a colossal horde just sitting outside the door, and as soon as they saw me a long bloody battle lasting a couple of days raged on between my barricades, the zombies and my shotgun. Eventually I got infected and died in one of the back rooms. 

In the older version I walled off a block of 5 detached houses and broke all the garden fences giving me 5 fortified storage lockers with no way in other than the back door which was only accessible after getting through a thick forest. Ah the good old days where you could kill an NCP, find a sledge hammer and destroy entire houses to get enough wood to build anything you wanted.

I just used to cheat with spawning items with cheat engine and otherwise mods,

The house I'm living in is currently the best one I've built. It has a huge fenced in area that I'm using for a garden. Every one of the bottom floor windows has been barricaded shut. I've also built a secondary wall around every door that leads outside that I'm using as a sort of makeshift airlock.

That is exactly what I planned to do, had I not succumbed to infection before I could find a hammer :cry:

lol.  If you make it note the stairs.   You don't need that wrap around wall but if you put it in do it before the stairs.   The tile layering system will,  iirc,  try to display the boards over the stairs if you do the boards last.   I'm not 100% but I think that happened and I had to destroy the wall.   I also think it might be possible to put the two stair units one step closer to each other to avoid the gap.  If I knew how to remove stairs I would move some things around.

A better way is to skip the wall   (though it looks nice it serves no purpose)  and just put pillars at the four corners for aesthetics.   Then you can pretend that the stairs arent the only thing holding up a giant deck.

Just curious as to how long it took you to build this. Also - item spawner or all legit?

Had it built before the first month was out.   Maybe a few days over.    All legit in survival mode.     Just head north to the forest beyond the parking lot and cut trees for a day or two.    Then saw every log,  drop the planks,  then saw more.    Leave a forest of planks.     The nails came from the warehouse,  a few areas in the north part of town,  and McCoy logging.

When you chop and find no zeds coming,  keep chopping.   Might as well get it out of the way before zeds arrive one day.     If Zeds are near when you arrive,  lead them off.    I still have piles of planks sitting out there,   but no nails.    Have to go south for more nails. Havent seen a zed near here in weeks.    They are in big mobs near the restaurants.

You can't tell but the outer wall is only on two sides.   It's just for aesthetics and saved me some nails.   The brick already blocks line of sight.     The catwalks go all the way around but floors are cheap  (1 nail,  1 board).   The fences are pricey.

Best one i had was back in the old version that had the big map, and i done the same thing mathas did, where supermarket with the warehouse is and the restaurant, i boarded up the restaurant and blocked off the allyways and it done me fine then i was stupid and knocked a hole from the restaurant to the shop without first making the space between the two buildings sealed off, safe to say the noise attracted zeds to me and i died over night, my longest survival has been in that area though

That is how i do it. Chop, Turn into planks, Then build. Here is my new effort just south of the large warehouse by the little park and house foundation. i will get  2 more safe houses up here as soon as they release next patch. i cant play that game as it is 6 months in and i have only enough food to get me though some growing time(assuming the patch dont break my save game).

bpk4.png
Will post a finish pic when i get done!

Back from the versions on the old map.

This was when you had to use furntiure to sleep - had to drag a chair from the restaurant from the north.

I actually ended up being completely overrun by a massive horde due to an NPC firing a shotgun near by. Haven't made a fort in the latest yet due the akwardness of moving supplies.

Oh, and it was all legit, i.e. no mods.

nybjwh.png

skvm9x.png

Back from the versions on the old map.

This was when you had to use furntiure to sleep - had to drag a chair from the restaurant from the north.

I actually ended up being completely overrun by a massive horde due to an NPC firing a shotgun near by. Haven't made a fort in the latest yet due the akwardness of moving supplies.

Oh, and it was all legit, i.e. no mods.

nybjwh.png

skvm9x.pngWWOW... JUST WOW

Well all that work went down the crapper :( i left a campfire burnning and had a huge horde when i re loged. I just left it and ran to the farm house. Just finished my 4th run into town to get my supplies. will post a pic when i get done building.

• 4 weeks later...

Work in progress:

dR4eLVK.jpg

Note: all the roof of the house had to be re-floored, otherwise I fell through :/ On the plus side I can now safely climb out and second floor window and go all the way around.

I wanted to add sheet ropes in various places to provide more escape routes (hence the window frames), but the rope doesn't seem to work with crafted windows yet.

The hardest part is finding enough nails to build everything. The town and the logging company is totally overrun and mostly looted. (The date is incorrect, had to be reset once due to the dig bug.)