Gunplay needs an overhaul for PVP

GodWaffle

Ok, so basically I think that multiplayer gunplay needs some big improvements.  

Yesterday I was playing on a server and me and one other guy were in our base doing some farming and construction when all of a sudden the door into our base opens (also barricading on player-made doors doesn't seem to work) and a few random guys walk in with guns.  

Me and my team member both ran indoors and went upstairs to grab our guns, I went out onto the second floor walkway that we'd built and couldn't see the guys but I could hear the gunshots, and saw my teammate get gunned down, I went down and watched the door, waiting for them to walk in, eventually they did (2 guys, one was dead) and it turned into a clickfest.  CLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICK dead, and so was one of theirs.

Basically I didn't like how this played out, I hate the auto-aim within a 90 degree radius and I hate the ability to fire at an infinitely high rate of fire using a pistol without any loss of accuracy or anything.  

Sure the gunfight was tense but it wasn't really a gunfight, you weren't aiming and taking cover or anything you were just seeing who could click faster than the other.  In my opinion if gunfights in multiplayer are to be fun, the aiming and shooting needs an overhaul at some point.  I have another topic I made a while back which goes into detail about the changes I think should be made:

http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/5589-the-aiming-overhaul/

Also something I didn't mention in there is the fire rate of pistols, I think there needs to be a delay after each shot so that you can't just click like a maniac to win fights.

Other than that (and the barricade problem and the lack of threat that zombies pose in MP), loving the Multiplayer, although in my 4 hour or so playthough yesterday I saw about 10 zombies total..

-GodWaffle

Slowing the rate fo fire makes no sense...since thats how they work in real life. Lowering accuracy makes sense though...maybe a stacking .5 second accuracy debuff or something.

As for the zombies? Must be a server setting or something...because in the new build 25 in multiplayer me and all my friends are finding plenty of hordes on normal settings.

Slowing the rate fo fire makes no sense...since thats how they work in real life. Lowering accuracy makes sense though...maybe a stacking .5 second accuracy debuff or something.

As for the zombies? Must be a server setting or something...because in the new build 25 in multiplayer me and all my friends are finding plenty of hordes on normal settings.

I know, but you cannot physically bend your finger to pull a trigger as fast as you can click a mouse button, having even a very very short delay would help as currently you can basically machine-pistol people.  For the zombies, not sure, the server was about 3 months in though but the zombie apocalypse was basically over.

Agree. We've got this planned, don't worry. :)

Awesome to hear! Looking forward to seeing what you guys come up with.

Thanks,

-GodWaffle

You definitely can fire as fast as with a mouse...the movement is very similar and in real life it is very easy to fire off multiple shots per second. I know this cause I have done it (was in the military). I suppose it all a moot point though til we see what they do with it.

You definitely can fire as fast as with a mouse...the movement is very similar and in real life it is very easy to fire off multiple shots per second. I know this cause I have done it (was in the military). I suppose it all a moot point though til we see what they do with it.

You can empty a 15-round magazine of a semi-automatic pistol accurately in a second?

With a 9MM? I know you can pull the trigger quickly, but depending on the gun the recoil would make most of the shot miss wildly. A mouse has zero recoil. You absolutely cannot shoot a real handgun as fast as you can click a mouse. 

You can empty a 15-round magazine of a semi-automatic pistol accurately in a second?

With a 9MM? I know you can pull the trigger quickly, but depending on the gun the recoil would make most of the shot miss wildly. A mouse has zero recoil. You absolutely cannot shoot a real handgun as fast as you can click a mouse. 

No where did I suggest it could be done in an accurate manner...in fact if you look at my actual suggestion above I pointed out that there needs to be an accuracy penalty.

Fire speed should be left up to the player, if they want to make good shots that hit they need to learn fire control just like in real life.

No where did I suggest it could be done in an accurate manner...in fact if you look at my actual suggestion above I pointed out that there needs to be an accuracy penalty.

Fire speed should be left up to the player, if they want to make good shots that hit they need to learn fire control just like in real life.

You did say this:

You definitely can fire as fast as with a mouse

Which is the point I disagree with. "You absolutely cannot shoot a real handgun as fast as you can click a mouse." That was really my point. The part about the accuracy was basically saying "yeah, you can fire off a bunch of shots in a short amount of time with a real handgun, but it won't be effective." I wasn't claiming that you were asserting that it would be accurate, just that the simple physical act of firing quickly in real life is most often useless. My brother-in-law was a competitive shooter, and I have seen things that blow my mind in terms of speed and accuracy, but not even close to being as fast as mouse clicks, which require a fraction of the effort than does pulling a trigger.

Haven't gotten into MP yet, but you can't really expect much else out of a new release for it; syncing issues alway seem to occur, usually due to offset pings for each client to the server and balancing the resyncing in the server-side code to compensate, so that should be expected. If the syncing doesn't quite work, it would only be logically to believe that any sync process, ie window barricades being on/off, could be affected, plus it would be hard not to expect PvP to be a bit rough with how the guns are as-is.

But my personal choice to opt out of MP for now is simply that there would be little to do within MP that isn't going around and killing somebody. I could say that I would prefer MP to be entirely PvE, but alas without decent migration implemented the zed population dwindles too quickly. Everything in due time, however, so I'm not really too worried.

I'd just like to mention than the game is not supposed to be realistic, if you can fire a pistol as fast as you can click a mouse in real life, that's great.  But in a game context it is not fun, I think that to prolong gunfights and make them more fun, delays between shots (even half/quarter of a second would be sufficient) would really help.

I do think though that once a serious aiming system is in place that requires skill from players, then this won't matter as much.