Has anyone really died from zombies?

Blasted_Taco

I was playing on my friends' server last night because of a cheater. I noticed a lot of lag with a horde (I mean horde, it was huge) so I went inside to reload my Shotgun, went outside and my friend was gone and so was the horde but a few seconds later I got mauled by the horde that went invisible. :P

I did also get scratched a good amount of times. and bitten once on eliakoh's server, not due to lag but because I was careless...

I seem to do better in MP with/without friends than SP just because SP's items are pretty easy to get, like food and water, so I get a little overwhelmed. But in MP I just go into survival mode.

"So people with higher ping might have a considerable advantage. This needs to be fixed as this is one of the two main reasons that zombies aren't a threat"

Nu uh. Zombies are 100% server side. People with a large ping do NOT have an advantage.

The main problem is the grabbing mechanic doesn't work in MP yet, and zombie vision doesn't work right yet. This will be fixed. There are other tweaks or optimizations we can make to make it closer to SP. Have faith.

"So people with higher ping might have a considerable advantage. This needs to be fixed as this is one of the two main reasons that zombies aren't a threat"

Nu uh. Zombies are 100% server side. People with a large ping do NOT have an advantage.

The main problem is the grabbing mechanic doesn't work in MP yet, and zombie vision doesn't work right yet. This will be fixed. There are other tweaks or optimizations we can make to make it closer to SP. Have faith.

Ah, so the grabbing DOESN'T work right in MP yet. Still, I feel that the zeds are a threat in large numbers, especially if they're the fast, durable ones, even if they can't slow you. Don't count the zombies entirely out, but I think that raiders and griefers are of larger concern in MP.

Zombie grab distance could use a little bump and let's see how it goes in my opinion. That and zombie respawning is sorely needed.

Server admins can spawn zombies at will, fortunately.

Not sure grab distance is the problem. SP plays just fine, within a few increments of a title, the zombies latch on and make your life hell.

Ah I was referring to MP zombies, SP ones are good.

Yeah I meant you can't do this anymore:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sn2egi4niw18d2z/ProjectZomboid64%202014-02-27%2001-53-26-47.mp4

Still the game could do with some seriously enhanced difficulty, it gets to be very boring after the first few days in all honesty.

Good point

But i wonder, what can they do to enhance the difficulty? 

I got inspired here and posted a new suggestion over at the suggestions forum.

http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/7169-intersecting-zombies/

I was playing on a server with fast zombies ... and for some reason my character got sick. So being in pain, sick ... I had to change my location because food was an issue as well. So there was this guy who said to follow him ! I did so until we were surrounded by entire West Point of zombies ... I had to throw my backpack away to keep moving. Basically there was nowhere to run but inside the house, so my poor character crawled on the 2nd floor. And had his last orange juice in the bathroom. I could have jumped from window... But uh there were zombies below waiting for me to jump seemingly. Scary stuff.

I got scratched twice, and became sick. Once I was about to turn into a zombie I had my friend shoot me in the head. I have yet to get bit, and it's too easy to evade the zombies even if they grab you, the two times I got grabbed is because I wasn't paying too much attention to the game. But yes, I have died from zombies technically.

I haven't myself, but I've taken up the habit of traveling with a large horde by just walking through the streets and screaming, and I've fed them about 3 players by just maneuvering around them. I wait for them to get nervous and fire their gun off and get swarmed, then I lead them away for a little bit and loot the body. 

• 3 weeks later...

Erm, yes? Zombies can kill in ways other than "sudden and instant gangrape". Slow, lingering death is usually the way I've seen it unfold.

Been playing on a private server over the last few days with 2 - 6 of us at any one time trying to work at cleaning out the surroundings in an ever-increasing radius, and we've all now snuffed it at least once due to the actions of zombies. What usually happens is:

1) Game starts! We attempt to meet up and find/secure a safehouse, then start planning out some quick supply runs as we kill all the offending zombies nearby. Sometimes one of us is unlucky this early on and keels over, but it's no big loss. No skills, no equipment; doesn't really matter.

2) Once we've got our feet on the ground and something we can call a base is set up, supply runs targeting buildings further away are organised; we gear up with weapons, food/water, and bags for looting whatever we find. Slow progress is made, beating/hacking everything/anything to death if it's alone/alerted. Bigger clumps are gradually chipped at or avoided when possible.

3) Eventually, the targeted building is not only miles away but also locked, so we have to open/smash a window to make the time worth it. If the smashed glass doesn't wake up a few neighbours, then the alarm usually spitefully goes off, causing a huge rush of zombies from every direction. This is where things have the potential to go tits-up in a very bad way.

4) We get surrounded, leaving no option but to use a firearm to clear a path ASAP. This in turn alerts untold hordes of surrounding zombies from much further away; if we don't get the Christ out of the area in the space of seconds, then we're all as good as dead.

5) In the confusion/panic, more shots are likely to be fired, and even more zombies are attracted to the party. We get split up in all the commotion. When this happens, one of us invariably gets hit with at least a bite or scratch because of some bastard crawler or getting jumped from behind, which is pretty much Game Over for him. If he's not slowed down with injury and torn to bits by the shambling hordes there and then, and the ensuing fever doesn't kill him shortly after, then the next day will certainly see him drop dead for seemingly no reason.

tl;dr -- Yes, because zombies are an increasingly bigger threat as time goes on and easy supplies start drying up, and rightly so. Even after an unavoidable three-man massacre of 200+ zombies on the main road running along north of the city (a venture which cost many shells and bullets), only a few blocks down was still absolutely crawling with 150 or so more of the sods... and they were in clusters all around where we wanted to get to. The whole run was a total loss on overall supplies and skills!