Has anyone really died from zombies?

Blasted_Taco

Well i been playing on and off the MP, and yesterday i tested the new build 25 and i have notice 1 single thing.

I have never been scratched or bitten or seen anyone who has been killed by a zombie before...actually only 1 person that was in my group got biten because he was AFK.

So far the zombies dont grab anyone, and if they do, they most of the time escape and they dont bite or scratch quickly.

So has anyone died to zombies in a server? 

The issue seems to be more "lag related", it really feels different from Singleplayer somehow. They're often warping back or lagging on one spot, so it's certainly the same for their "attacks", when they shout scratch/bite your lag happens so you have more time to get away from it.

Really now? Seems like the zombies in build 25 can see through walls or something. I've snuck past a zombies and into a house and a few seconds later they're banging on the door. I know for sure that they didn't see me yet they know where I'm at even when inside the house. Like if they're banging on the door and I move to the bedroom they move to the bedroom window. That and they don't ever stop following me. They're incredibly hard to get rid of.

I got so annoyed at it that I loaded all my guns up and brought all ammo boxes with me and just massacred multiple hordes from the large warehouse to Starset Motel. I went down that entire road kiting them and gunning them down.

The Zeds do seem more... tenacious of late. 8 days in, and my character's already gone through two bats and 110 zombies. That and they do seem to be moving a bit. Safehouse lost a window, and they were trashing a nearby neighbourhood. This being in singleplayer of course.

My question is how you used only 2 bats on 110 zombies lol. I break 2 bats on like 20 zombies

The Zeds do seem more... tenacious of late. 8 days in, and my character's already gone through two bats and 110 zombies. That and they do seem to be moving a bit. Safehouse lost a window, and they were trashing a nearby neighbourhood. This being in singleplayer of course.

My question is how you used only 2 bats on 110 zombies lol. I break 2 bats on like 20 zombies

I think using a bat until it's nearly broken, then making a nail bat out of it, then repairing it often enough.

Zombies do slow you in IWBMS, just not as much. But yeah the zombies are way too easy at present. Maybe once they migrate it Will be better. At least you can't run through a horde at your door anymore.

actually i can  (tophat)

open door, sprint out ... never had any problems with zombies "blocking" me or smth like that (and i still dont have)

Zombies do slow you in IWBMS, just not as much. But yeah the zombies are way too easy at present. Maybe once they migrate it Will be better. At least you can't run through a horde at your door anymore.

I kinda did that actually lol

I was trying to trap the horde insde a church with double doors, there was another horde waiting in the other side, i just rushed pass them and closed the door.

I've actually died from falling down stairs once... and someone else by falling out of a window (and in turn we became nauseous etc and then dying). A few of us have been bitten and died, several times.

This was all on the last build and they've actually become MORE difficult in build 25 now with you slowing down when they grab you. Before, you could just run through them. (This is all on multiplayer)

you can still run through zombies ... but if you "stay" a little too long too close to one of them he will grab onto you and slow you down ... and as soon as youre slowed, and theres more than 2 zombies around you, you are basically dead. 

i actually find maneuvering around zombies pretty easy ... i tend to kite zombies around, screaming "Hey!" while i do it and get them into one big bulk ... then shoot them with the shotty so i can get maximum kills out of one shell.  :evil:

and when i finally run out of shells i kite this big ass horde over to some other players safe house and just sneak away into corners / trees  (clyde)

Edit:

yeah falling down stairs and stuff like that is what msot of the time is killing me xD

especially that one office building with the outdoor firestairs ... when i turn to close on of the doors and i dont angle right my char will climb over the fence and just drop down 2 levels -.-

Yeah I meant you can't do this anymore:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sn2egi4niw18d2z/ProjectZomboid64%202014-02-27%2001-53-26-47.mp4

Still the game could do with some seriously enhanced difficulty, it gets to be very boring after the first few days in all honesty.

Good point

But i wonder, what can they do to enhance the difficulty? 

Well I had a good experience so far, but the whole point of zombies not being a threat at all is severe, beacuse the only threat that is really left is players.

Its a bit sad, and I think the netcode and the way a few things are handled internally are to blame.

I have to strongly disagree to the person who said 

"Would you prefer people whose ping is over 130 to lose in every encounter with a zombie?"

This game is very slowly paced, 130ms are nothing in this game. I remember back in the old days that I could play Wolfenstein with 300-400ms ping over a dial up modem and it didn't lag half as bad and I could still have fun and get kills. I see how 130ms are a big deal where milimeters of aiming can make a difference, but not in this game. 

As a professional programmer (although not a game programmer) I kinda know a thing or two, so the following things seem very apparent:

- It seems that the fact that zombies are grabbing you (so you walk a lot slower) is not something that is initiated by the server. Its entirely client sided, or completely absent from multiplayer 

So people with higher ping might have a considerable advantage. This needs to be fixed as this is one of the two main reasons that zombies aren't a threat

- The other one is the fact that the extrapolation of player movements are seemingly not taken into account when zombies do their path finding.

When I was playing with European people this was really annoying. You can see how the zombies stopped every few steps, because they didn't yet have new client position. Results of this were that they werent even able to hurt you when you walked in aiming mode.

The combination of these two issues is what makes them absolutely harmless if you ping is a little higher.

Thats not a rant, only an observation. I had a very pleasant time just with the PVP aspect, finding awesome people, and having had one of the best MP-experiences in months.

I hope the developers will take a look at these two issues, then the difficulty should come close to single player.

Zombie grab distance could use a little bump and let's see how it goes in my opinion. That and zombie respawning is sorely needed.

Server admins can spawn zombies at will, fortunately.

Not sure grab distance is the problem. SP plays just fine, within a few increments of a title, the zombies latch on and make your life hell.