Game will not launch on Windows but will launch on the same computer with Zorin Linux distro

lfry2279

Hey everyone, 

New to the forum so sorry for any weird formatting or things I may be missing on mentioning.

When I try to open PZ on my desktop computer in which I have both Windows and Zorin installed onto my SSD, I can only launch the game when booted into Linux. On Windows 11 (and previously on 10 as well) the game won't launch with either the regular launch or in compatibility mode. For the heck of it, I even tried going into properties on Steam and doing -debug to see if that would do anything, but unfortunately the game still won't launch. Copy of logs .zip attached in case that can be of any use.

When on Zorin Linux the game opens just fine. Not sure why.

PC SPECS:

AMD Ryzen 3800x

32gb RAM

1080ti

SSD for operating system but Zomboid is installed on a HDD.

Any help or insight into this is much appreciated, I'm not sure if anyone here has experienced anything similar. If this hasn't been seen before, I guess maybe I've brought something new to the table with my first post.

Thanks survivors. Happy looting, long days and pleasant nights.

logs.zip

Can you try using the "Alternate launch" option when launching the game through Steam? If the game fails to start again, can you share your console.txt file, found in C:\Users\YourUserName\Zomboid?

• 2 weeks later...

Absolutely, thank you for the fast reply. Sorry I took so long.

I tried the alternative launch option on Windows and was unfortunately met with the same fate of the game not opening. I have attached both the console.txt file and a screenshot of the console that appears when launching the game.

It should be noted that PZ is installed on a separate drive from my boot drive, as I have very little space on my boot drive. This may have something to do with it, I'm not sure.

Screenshot 2023-06-18 192638.png

console.txt

Hm, yeah this is unusual, it just seems to fail to create the Java VM, do you have enough RAM on your PC when trying to start the game? At least 4GB preferable, And have you tried reinstalling your game? As the logs you sent seem to be from the old 40 version of the game, while the latest one is 41.

• 3 weeks later...

I just tried uninstalling and reinstalling the game to see if this would have any affect, but unfortunately the game will still not launch with either the regular launch or the compatibility mode option. 13/32GB ram being used when trying to launch Project Zomboid.

Could you check the Windows reliability monitor and find the game failing to load there? If you do, can you share a screenshot of the technical details of the game there?

https://www.howtogeek.com/school/using-windows-admin-tools-like-a-pro/lesson3/

https://www.dell.com/support/kbdoc/sk-sk/000178177/how-to-use-windows-reliability-monitor-to-identify-software-issues