Amputation

Ian M

I was playing the TWD game a few days ago (I was at the part where Clem is amputated by AJ,) and I wondered if maybe it was a good idea to have as a mechanic in Project Zomboid, considering how strict the game is with bites and giving you no second chances. If we were to see it in Project Zomboid one day, I have a few ideas that might balance it out.

You can amputate yourself with a saw, it could be any saw, but I think if a medical saw could be added to the game it could mean you get a lesser chance of getting infection (the normal kind.) After you amputate yourself, which would take about 20 seconds, you immediately lose 33% of your health and you will start to bleed very quickly, near the same rate as if you got lacerated on the neck. While performing the action, your character or the person you may be performing it on will scream loudly, alerting any Zomboids nearby. Both the amputate and the person amputating will begin to become more and more panicked. If the amputate has a tissue or toilet paper in their inventory, they can use it to muffle the screams by equipping it.  There are specific disadvantages depending on which body part you amputated.

If you amputated your hand or arm:

You will immediately be given the All Thumbs trait, or instead lose Dexterous if you have it on your character.

You cannot wield weapons with two hands or hold items in your secondary after being amputated. 

You cannot climb sheet rope.

Climbing fences or windows will be slower.

You cannot use shotguns or rifles, only pistols or revolvers.

If you amputated your foot or leg:

You will not be able to walk without a walking stick or two crutches. (Crutches could be made with level 5 metalworking or found in hospitals and can be used permanently, and a walking stick could be crafted with a short blade weapon and a tree branch but will lose condition over time.) If you don't have either item, your character will have to crawl instead.

You move slower than normal when first using crutches or a walking stick, but over time your character will get progressively better at moving with them and will return to normal speed after a period of 3 weeks.

Swinging weapons is slower. Guns are not affected.

If you climb a high fence with crutches, you will have to leave your crutches behind. However, a walking stick will not be left behind and can still be used after climbing the fence, which incentivizes the player to have one on them in case of an emergency.

You will not be able to sprint.

Other features/changes I'd make for amputation:

The perk name "Dexterous" would be renamed to "Ambidextrous" to make the feature with arm or hand amputation make more sense.

Getting bites on your leg is more likely because having your legs attacked is a rarer occurrence.

Fear of Blood will cause the person to become panicked much more quickly when amputating or being amputated.

Doctors will get a new career trait: Emergency Medic.
Emergency Medic decreases the time it takes to amputate to 10 seconds, decreases the probability that the wound will get infected, allows the wound to be bandaged up much faster than normal, and they do not become panicked when amputating themselves or others.

What do you think?

Edited by Ian M

• 6 months later...

The addition of such a mechanic could certainly add a layer of realism and consequence to the game, reflecting the harsh reality of surviving in a zombie apocalypse. The inclusion of specific items needed for amputation, such as a saw and makeshift crutches, adds a resource management aspect to the game. It encourages players to plan ahead and gather necessary supplies for potential emergencies.

wordle

Was requested a few times already and I hope it will be added at some point. However, I don't think that there are many individuals out there able staying focused and conscious while sawing off one of their arms or leg. Would be more of a multiplayer feature I'd assume or only if you have a specific trait like "high pain threshold" or "strong willed".

On 12/14/2023 at 2:28 AM, Unamelable said:

Im very sure that devs don't gonna implement this just because of their style of "THAT IS HOW YOU DIED". Making such a decision just make their rules against itself. So i don't see a "canon" point on this one. After all we have amputation mod so whatever.

I dont see how this goes against their style. Amputation may save you in the short term but it opens you up a lot of danger and will certainly be part of your death in the future.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/11/2023 at 8:16 PM, Bekean Loinse said:

The addition of such a mechanic could certainly add a layer of realism and consequence to the game, reflecting the harsh reality of surviving in a zombie apocalypse. The inclusion of specific items needed for amputation, such as a saw and makeshift crutches, adds a resource management aspect to the game. It encourages players to plan ahead and gather necessary supplies for potential emergencies. wordle

I also have the same thoughts as you.

Edited by tuancho