Soft Reset

Breaker

Yeah it'd be kinda silly for player made crates to be emptied because I spent hours sorting and gathering my loot. I kinda wish that the soft reset only resets the zombies.

I think it might be a side effects of the fact loot gets resetted. I suppose it's a toss up between keeping the crate contents, or allowing for more loot and zombies.

I'm currently doing a soft reset on my server, pretty long because of the number of files to check.

I add to create the script file myself as my server runs under Linux and there's no soft reset script for Linux. I used the parameters from the windows .bat file so it looks like :

#!/bin/bash## projectzomboid.sh################################################################################SCRIPT="`basename $0`"GAMEDIR="${HOME}/.project_zomboid_2.9.9.17"LOGFILE="${GAMEDIR}/${SCRIPT}.log"INSTDIR="`dirname $0`"/projectzomboid ; cd "${INSTDIR}" ; INSTDIR="`pwd`"[[ ! -d "${GAMEDIR}" ]] && mkdir -m 0755 "${GAMEDIR}"JARPATH=".:lwjgl.jar:lwjgl_util.jar:jinput.jar:sqlitejdbc-v056.jar"# XMODIFIERS is cleared here to prevent SCIM screwing up keyboard inputXMODIFIERS= java \    -Djava.library.path="${INSTDIR}" \    -Dorg.lwjgl.util.NoChecks=true \    -Dorg.lwjgl.librarypath="${INSTDIR}" \    -Dsoftreset \    -Xms8192m \    -Xmx8192m \        -XX:-UseSplitVerifier \    -cp "${JARPATH}" \    zombie.network.GameServer \    "$@"exit 0## EOF################################################################################

The script ran for 10mn then hang, and I had this error :

Soft clearing chunk: map_1073_878.binException in thread "main" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space        at java.util.ArrayList.<init>(ArrayList.java:132)        at zombie.iso.IsoGridSquare.<init>(IsoGridSquare.java:202)        at zombie.iso.IsoGridSquare.getNew(IsoGridSquare.java:1845)        at zombie.iso.IsoChunk.Load(IsoChunk.java:790)        at zombie.iso.IsoChunk.Load(IsoChunk.java:230)        at zombie.iso.WorldStreamer.DoChunkAlways(WorldStreamer.java:182)        at zombie.iso.WorldStreamer.addJobWipe(WorldStreamer.java:305)        at zombie.iso.WorldConverter.softreset(WorldConverter.java:326)        at zombie.iso.IsoWorld.init(IsoWorld.java:942)        at zombie.network.GameServer.main(GameServer.java:99)

So 8GB not enough for soft reset ?

Another info : Zomboid/Multiplayer/servertest = 705MB

I'm currently doing a soft reset on my server, pretty long because of the number of files to check.

I add to create the script file myself as my server runs under Linux and there's no soft reset script for Linux. I used the parameters from the windows .bat file so it looks like :

#!/bin/bash## projectzomboid.sh################################################################################SCRIPT="`basename $0`"GAMEDIR="${HOME}/.project_zomboid_2.9.9.17"LOGFILE="${GAMEDIR}/${SCRIPT}.log"INSTDIR="`dirname $0`"/projectzomboid ; cd "${INSTDIR}" ; INSTDIR="`pwd`"[[ ! -d "${GAMEDIR}" ]] && mkdir -m 0755 "${GAMEDIR}"JARPATH=".:lwjgl.jar:lwjgl_util.jar:jinput.jar:sqlitejdbc-v056.jar"# XMODIFIERS is cleared here to prevent SCIM screwing up keyboard inputXMODIFIERS= java \    -Djava.library.path="${INSTDIR}" \    -Dorg.lwjgl.util.NoChecks=true \    -Dorg.lwjgl.librarypath="${INSTDIR}" \    -Dsoftreset \    -Xms8192m \    -Xmx8192m \        -XX:-UseSplitVerifier \    -cp "${JARPATH}" \    zombie.network.GameServer \    "$@"exit 0## EOF################################################################################

The script ran for 10mn then hang, and I had this error :

Soft clearing chunk: map_1073_878.binException in thread "main" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space        at java.util.ArrayList.<init>(ArrayList.java:132)        at zombie.iso.IsoGridSquare.<init>(IsoGridSquare.java:202)        at zombie.iso.IsoGridSquare.getNew(IsoGridSquare.java:1845)        at zombie.iso.IsoChunk.Load(IsoChunk.java:790)        at zombie.iso.IsoChunk.Load(IsoChunk.java:230)        at zombie.iso.WorldStreamer.DoChunkAlways(WorldStreamer.java:182)        at zombie.iso.WorldStreamer.addJobWipe(WorldStreamer.java:305)        at zombie.iso.WorldConverter.softreset(WorldConverter.java:326)        at zombie.iso.IsoWorld.init(IsoWorld.java:942)        at zombie.network.GameServer.main(GameServer.java:99)

So 8GB not enough for soft reset ?

Another info : Zomboid/Multiplayer/servertest = 705MB

Soft clearing chunk: map_1069_966.bin

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space

at zombie.iso.IsoObject.factoryFromFileInput(IsoObject.java:254)

at zombie.iso.IsoObject.factoryFromFileInput(IsoObject.java:411)

at zombie.iso.IsoGridSquare.load(IsoGridSquare.java:1325)

at zombie.iso.IsoChunk.Load(IsoChunk.java:826)

at zombie.iso.IsoChunk.Load(IsoChunk.java:230)

at zombie.iso.WorldStreamer.DoChunkAlways(WorldStreamer.java:182)

at zombie.iso.WorldStreamer.addJobWipe(WorldStreamer.java:305)

at zombie.iso.WorldConverter.softreset(WorldConverter.java:326)

at zombie.iso.IsoWorld.init(IsoWorld.java:942)

at zombie.network.GameServer.main(GameServer.java:99)

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\ProjectZomboid>PAUSE

Press any key to continue . . .

If soft reset is just removing all map_*_*.bin you can do under Linux this:

Stop your server process

cd ~/Zomboid/Sandbox/servertest/

find . -type f -name "map_*_*.bin" -exec rm -f '{}' \;

start your server.

I used this method to reset world at 23 build, and it works for me.

If soft reset is just removing all map_*_*.bin you can do under Linux this:

Stop your server process

cd ~/Zomboid/Sandbox/servertest/

find . -type f -name "map_*_*.bin" -exec rm -f '{}' \;

start your server.

I used this method to reset world at 23 build, and it works for me.

That's a full reset, the soft one is supposed to generate new loot and zombies on each map*.bin, so the players' constructions are kept.

Yeah I got the same problem

erro_server.jpg

Try to give it more memory, or less. Edit the bat file. Give it 1024m, not 2048m.

Somebody made it work with 12GB, i'll try that later as I already tried with 8GB (like the server) and it's not enough.

Edit : Annnd it crashed :(

I started at 1024 and retested all the way to 9216 before it started freezing my computer forcing me to shutdown to regain control.Never did  I get a proper soft wipe out of it. So in short waiting for a fix hopefully in next release.

I am very interested in the OP question in regards to the trees and player made boxes. Please can someone elaborate with some personal experience or knowledge if the trees come back after a soft reset, and if items stored in player made crates disappear.

I am very interested in the OP question in regards to the trees and player made boxes. Please can someone elaborate with some personal experience or knowledge if the trees come back after a soft reset, and if items stored in player made crates disappear.

Im not sure anyone can answer since soft wipes seem to be broken atm

Im not sure anyone can answer since soft wipes seem to be broken atm

Ahhh ok thanks for that :) hopefully someone can figure out how to get their server soft reset and enlighten us all!

no idea about trees, but the devs said that player made crates will still be there, although your loot will be gone and it will spawn random "industrial" loot. stuff you would normally find in crates.

I started at 1024 and retested all the way to 9216 before it started freezing my computer forcing me to shutdown to regain control.Never did  I get a proper soft wipe out of it. So in short waiting for a fix hopefully in next release.

How much RAM do you have in your computer like? A process that takes up that much is bound to cause issues to be fair.

Yeah I got the same problem

Try to give it more memory, or less. Edit the bat file. Give it 1024m, not 2048m.

Somebody made it work with 12GB, i'll try that later as I already tried with 8GB (like the server) and it's not enough.

Edit : Annnd it crashed :(

I was able to run the process with 14GB on the server ( the file Server_SoftWipe.bat with "-Xms12384m-Xmx12384m"), the process used about 7GB

unfortunately I have not noticed if the trees were reset... but the items in player made crates simply disappear 

the zombies were not reset, they simply disappeared too  :lol:, so you need to make a backup of files zombies_ * and after reset paste in the folder servertest (to "reset" the zombies back up the files from a new server)

important: the Server/serverOptions.ini seems that is also reset ( I will confirm soon) then backup this file too (because if the ResetID in this file is diferent from the previous one, the players will have their saves deleted upon entering the server)

well that's what happened to me, if someone else has a different experience share with us  :P

thanx for the infos, but if zombies disappear and you copy paste the zombies from before reset, the zombie population is still the same like before?! so the soft reset failed here? what about spawn hordes with admin commands?

Will try the reset next time with over 12 gb ram like you....

thanx for the infos, but if zombies disappear and you copy paste the zombies from before reset, the zombie population is still the same like before?! so the soft reset failed here?

Yeah, if u really want to reset the zombies u need do backup the  zombies_* from a state when they are all alive 

what about spawn hordes with admin commands?

whenever I used this command, worked smoothly

I found a work around guys. I can make soft wipes work for the whole map its kind of a pain but it works!

1. Start a soft wipe.

2. Take note of where it stops.(Soft clearing chunk: map_1095_944.bin)

3. Go to C/users/"your pc name"/Zomboid/Multiplayer/servertest and cut (not copy) all files leading up to where the soft wipe stopped.

4. Paste those files in a new folder.

5. Restart softwipe and with the last soft wiped files gone from the servertest folder it will pickup where it left off.

6. Repeat 1-4 untill you have the new folder containing the rebuilt serverfiles in its folder. now copy paste those files back to the original servertest folder and you have your full soft wipe.

I cant belive it was this simple. lmao have put hours into figuring this shit out.

With this method you dont really need to change your ram value on the soft wipe bat either.