Steam dedicated server not launching

Sancer

Question

I´ve been trying to set up my server for friends so they can play while I´m not available, but every time I try to launch it either from the steam library or the PZServer64 in the folder itself I get this. I´ve tried changing or deleting the workshop mod it says in the CMD attached, but it always changed to the next one on the list; it seems to me like the dedicated server just CANT download workshop mods.

I can host the server without any issues from the Host option ingame, but this doesnt work.
What am I doing wrong? Has anyone run into a similar problem? How do I change it so it launches another server so I can try launching a non-modded one instead of the modded one to see if another issue pops up?

image.png

8 answers to this question

That says about renting a server to do it. I want to host a dedicated server on my own PC. Am I not understanding something here or is it IMPERATIVE I rent a server to host it on?

It is a guide mainly helpful for people who rent servers, which is why it is mentioned there. But you do not need to rent a server if you want to run it on your own PC. Therefore you can skip the part about the rented server and just use the SteamCMD install steps.

Thanks, that got it working! 

But now there are some other issues: 
One, and the most pressing, is that one of my friend joined and the server kicked him after a while and it gave me this message: WARN : Network , 1685049047663> 1.064.106.513> UdpEngine.decode> GOT PACKET FROM UNKNOWN CONNECTION guid=112590054115772423 packetId=218 

Is this something on their end going wrong, something I can fix, or what?

And also: The server is using a servertest.ini server file to launch. But that´s the same one we used to launch from Host with. The Dedicated server launches a new world with new players and all; but the one we had prior is still existing from the Host option.

How do I make the dedicated server use the one we had from before?

The server will always use the "servertest" settings file by default. If you want it to use a different settings file, you will have to edit the .bat file for the server and add the -servername NAME parameter at the end of it before the PAUSE command. Here would be all the parameters: https://pzwiki.net/wiki/Startup_parameters

As for the kick error, did your friend get any specific kick message? Could they share a screenshot of it? Was it a specific message or just a "connection lost" message?

Another friend joined and the server is now set correctly. Maybe the other friend was just confused.

And this is the message this 2nd friend got, which I´m assuming is the same one the first one got. "You´ve been kicked from the server. Malformed Packet Detected. Type 21" roughly translated.

image.png

That error is specifically caused by mods causing problems with the anticheat system. You may either try to disable the mods (hard to tell which ones cause that) or you can disable the Anticheat feature in your server settings if you are just playing with friends. The anticheat options are at the bottom of the server settings file, or you can see them through your Admin > Server settings menu as well.

Thanks, that solved it! Appreciate all the help. Our map data, what we´ve seen and whatnot, has reset when on the dedicated server, but other than that it all works perfectly. Really appreciate it!

Archived