Enabling Comments on the Project Zomboid Trailer and Other Official Project Zomboid Videos

Nowthere27

This video is really awesome but some reason you can't comment on it so I think TheIndieStone should enable comments. 

Why? It'd get all the great conversation going on about the game if people could talk about on the video. Also it'd more views!

Yeah you'd get bad comments but you'd also get good ones so I think it's worth enable them.

Also it'd be nice to hear conversation on the other videos as well.

The only possible reason I could think of would be as a means of trying to moderate the YouTube comments by just turning them off. Basically, impossible to enforce a be lovely rule on YouTube for example.

But YouTube favors active comment sections for the mighty algorithm so kind of a double-edged sword. 

5 hours ago, IndustryStandard said:

The only possible reason I could think of would be as a means of trying to moderate the YouTube comments by just turning them off. Basically, impossible to enforce a be lovely rule on YouTube for example.

But YouTube favors active comment sections for the mighty algorithm so kind of a double-edged sword. 

But why would they disable them in the first place. I mean without a definite answer I can only make inferences. 

Comments are always a cesspit and we don’t need the aggravation of having them exist, needing to moderate them, or pumping them directly into a dev’s account  — before even considering the spam epidemic of youtube. They’re just too easy for people to shoot off in.

We have forums (here, on Steam, reddit, and gog) for actual discussion, requiring only a minimum to use, but it’s enough inconvenience to prevent most dickery before it starts.

(And we’re not chasing youtube views. Game can sell itself on its own merits via word of mouth, as it always has. There’s little need to disrupt that now.)

On 5/23/2023 at 6:19 AM, EnigmaGrey said:

Comments are always a cesspit and we don’t need the aggravation of having them exist, needing to moderate them, or pumping them directly into a dev’s account  — before even considering the spam epidemic of youtube. They’re just too easy for people to shoot off in.

We have forums (here, on Steam, reddit, and gog) for actual discussion, requiring only a minimum to use, but it’s enough inconvenience to prevent most dickery before it starts.

(And we’re not chasing youtube views. Game can sell itself on its own merits via word of mouth, as it always has. There’s little need to disrupt that now.)

Alright, that answers that. Cool of you to give an official answer. I hope I didn't make you mad though. I feel like based on your response (which seems kind of blunt) that I may have been interpreted in being silly in asking. I just don't want to ask anything I shouldn't.

Anyways, I feel that good comments outweigh the bad and as for moderation I've see a lot of uploaders (including developers) that don't really do it or feel they need to. It's just pretty much just leave people to their devices in the comments section whether they flame, troll, spam whatnot. It's not necessarily they approve of any bad behavior it's more of they don't think it really matters. Like "The dumb people can say stupid things, but it doesn't really affect anyone so it's whatever if they do."

As for the merits of being able to comment on the game on Youtube, it's basically getting to know what a lot of people who watched the trailer (who would've commented if they could) thought of it.

It's would also be more convenient and flows better being able to watch the trailer and see what people thought of it below in the would be comments rather than watching it and having to go to a separate site such as this one.

It's more connected and immediate basically. 

As for views since the trailer has less than 1 millions views I was worried the game wasn't getting enough coverage but I'm glad it is anyway.

Hope I'm not getting long winded, I just try to be thorough with what I say.

Nice game you guys made by the way! I've been playing it since last August! I've even been making on ongoing playthrough: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLTk_W6MlSablxAPZ5k086Jg8iHxy_Z_VW

So yeah congrats on the game!

You’re welcome to your opinion, but after moderating most of the game’s portals for the past 10 years, the “good comments” do not outweigh the bad in terms of impact ( if not volume  )— not by a long shot. More likely what you’re seeing is what’s left after they attempted to moderate their comments rather than a free-for-all that just happens to be mostly “fine.” 

Growing up on the Internet and being around for 35 years has taught me that you don’t get good places on the internet without  active moderation and by slightly inconveniencing people so that they take a moment to think it though before shooting off.

Since we’re not chasing every dollar and cent, we don’t have to care about the possible benefit of engagement that comments might possibly provide (at the expense of our own mental health and morale, naturally). You can have a proper discussion on the forums, instead.

Archived