Memory Usage Notification Threshold

Zombieguy

Hi,

I setup a dedicated server on a home PC (Linux Mate, i3 9100F, 8Gb RAM) by following the linux instructions for setting up a dedicated server from the PZ Wiki. (https://pzwiki.net/wiki/Dedicated_Server) It worked perfectly for running a two player Vanilla server for my mate and I to enjoy this fantastic game. I hit the titular issue when I tried to introduce mods to the server. At first I believed it was the amount of mods I added (being around 25-30 on first try) so I culled it down a little but kept hitting the Memory Usage Notification Threshold log message in the terminal when I try to launch the server, where it would simply stop on that notification and not ever reach the (very close) final point of "Server is VAC secure".

I ended up testing the same server setup with 0 mods and it worked fine, then added only one mod and immediately hit the same problem. (I tried several different mods one at a time too to rule out it being a particular mod) Changing the starting RAM values didn't make a difference. At first I had it set to 5Gb which worked fine for Vanilla but not at all with mods. Changed it to 6Gb (in ProjectZomboid64.json) and it still gave the log message and stopped the server from starting. I tried 4Gb in case it was a weird glitch as some reading indicated assigning too much memory could be buggy but it didn't help either. I confirmed it is definitely changing the maximum amount of RAM as the log message shows it. I fail to believe that adding one mod, no matter how small, is causing the server to use up so much extra RAM to the point where the server cannot complete loading and as such figure it must be some odd error. I've also tried creating a completely new server using mods only to experience the same issue, whereas removing the mods lets the new server run just fine with Vanilla settings.

Posting here in the hopes that someone, somewhere has the answer to this issue as all the googling across the web, reddit and the indie stone forums has given me nothing to go on, as though no-one were having this issue except me. I know 8Gb of RAM isn't a lot for a modern PC but for Zomboid with only two players assigning 6Gb should be more than enough to run a server with at least a couple of mods.

Any insight?

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...