Is Car modification update coming in 42?

ZombieHunter

I think around build 41 - there was a news post about modding cars 

Which was universally liked 

While modders have taken up the mantle in a more janky fashion 

Is this feature being added to base game with more control? 

Directly welding metal plates to doors and bars to windows?

Adding a Turbo charger to engine? Raising clearance level of car so it can better travel offroad instead of moving 10 mph and somehow zombies being able to walk and overtake you?

Edit:

Article: ( from Build 40 ) 

https://projectzomboid.com/blog/news/2018/09/beeverdoid/

On 4/27/2023 at 3:12 PM, Ciber Ninja said:

Even just making car's actually animated would be nice.

I wouldn't mind it being step wise - 

Phase 1 

Add Car Mods

Phase 2 

Animate Car Joints

-------------------------------

I also understand why Developers want to do their proposed idea of welding parts onto the car with a seperate art layer. 

Which is now far more easier to do in Build 41 thanks to the new way clothing layers work

That way it can affect all cars even modded cars 

People need a way to access the weapons displayed on vehicles. Nothing makes me as sad as when I have a tank and its turret is completely useless.

The way gunfire and vehicles work also - could use some work. People should have the ability to shoot through their front window.

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/30/2023 at 1:46 PM, Jack Bower said:

People need a way to access the weapons displayed on vehicles. Nothing makes me as sad as when I have a tank and its turret is completely useless.

Ambrams tank have crew of 4 men: commander, gunner, loader and driver and you would like to multitask in tank or just pretend its ok?

• 2 weeks later...

It would be cool if they added Broken Tanks at Louisville. Or maybe APCs that are so broken you need to find parts all around the map to fix it.
I've been thinking of a way to get myself more sucked into this game after i lose interest and it would have to be More Player Made Quests. Like if i found a Sweet Military Vehicle and it needed parts i would devote my whole game just to fix it up. Maybe it adds more protection against hordes of zombies or adds more storage. Something with Vehicles would be cool to add. Maybe more Intricate Mechanics so Mechanics Professions Can have fun and Have a reason to play other than quickly replacing a part on a vehicle.
Further Animations would be cool. Like needing a Crawler to slide under your car to fix the transmission or anything under the vehicle. Or making the Vehicles Jacks work so you can lift cars and work on them easier. Or make it add a slight speed boost if you are using better equipment/Methods.

On 5/25/2023 at 1:25 PM, getstoopid said:

Why multitasking? I could just switch seats.

Indeed, it's not like running it with one person make it impossible. Just very slow an inefficient

There are some mods on Steam that offer some car modding, but I believe only for specific vehicles. Still neat though.

• 1 month later...

I'll just leave it here.

(This is the official concept from the old devlog on September 6th, 2018).

0TIp-6sgMtI.jpg?size=768x304&quality=96&sign=1d4797558b51cd3626b43219c30a5655&type=album

What's more, right now, there are unfinished but functioning instances of animated cars in the Project Zomboid files.

I once spawned them in the game with the help of a mod for all kinds of cheats.

S91NtvP0uI8.jpg?size=1152x787&quality=96&sign=e1293465c76f2d77f07084d7ddcffb75&type=album

All this means that experiments/work on animations and modifications for cars were once done by the developers. Unfortunately, what they refused and what they put on the back burner - we will not know if they themselves do not tell us about it. Either way, don't lose hope.

On 7/19/2023 at 12:23 PM, Milove said:

I'll just leave it here.

0TIp-6sgMtI.jpg?size=768x304&quality=96&sign=1d4797558b51cd3626b43219c30a5655&type=album

What's more, right now, there are unfinished but functioning instances of animated cars in the Project Zomboid files.

S91NtvP0uI8.jpg?size=1152x787&quality=96&sign=e1293465c76f2d77f07084d7ddcffb75&type=album

All this means that experiments/work on animations and modifications for cars were once done by the developers. Unfortunately, what they refused and what they put on the back burner - we will not know if they themselves do not tell us about it. Either way, don't lose hope.

That gives me some hope that cars will get an overhaul maybe in 42.5

On 7/19/2023 at 10:23 AM, Milove said:

I'll just leave it here.

That armor looks sick. I'd love to slap some spikes on that and go full Mad Max.

Archived