"Member Titles" - How do i change mine ?

Jethro

I think that everyone needing to know the exact origin and reasoning behind their mod-given titles almost ruins the magic and fun of it nearly as much as making them yourself.

It's like having a nickname. If you come up with your own nickname and just convince people to start calling you that, it's pointless and egotistical. If someone else gives you a nickname and you ask them to break down why that nickname was given to you, then it still feels like you're going from "your nickname defining you" to "you defining your nickname" as the next step is typically an individual assessing and approving or disapproving the accuracy of said nickname and/or judging themselves or their behavior by said nickname.

Are your achievements in life really so trivial that you must be validated via an internet title?

Simple fix for that, Rorek: Don't open a thread and ask for an explanation. ;)

Though I do agree in principle that explaining the title does rob it of some of it's magic, if they ask and I can provide an answer beyond "Who the hell knows," I'll tell them. It's their choice to spoil it for themselves. A better argument is whether this should be made public  on the forum or only done through the PM system, to avoid people unintentionally coming across an explanation.

. . .  the next step is typically an individual assessing and approving or disapproving the accuracy of said nickname and/or judging themselves or their behavior by said nickname.

I'm willing to heavily bet  that after a feeling of slight bewilderment upon noticing you have title, this happens whether or not an explanation is forthcoming.

I didn't open a topic, nor did I ask. Though mine is so obvious and simple that I'd be hard-pressed to not understand it.

And of course it's their own choice, I was simply offering my own opinion and view on the psychology behind nicknames and member titles. I enjoy having a nickname or title all my own; it gives a sense of community acceptance or individuality in said community, as opposed to being just another blank face in an ever growing crowd. But I wouldn't go out of my way to see that my behavior "abides by" the nature of my title or vice versa.

I feel anyone who measures themselves by their nickname or alters their behavior otherwise to suit said nickname was never really all that genuine to begin with, as they would be acting as the person they thought they SHOULD be acting as or the person they believe they were desired to act as.

It's like wearing makeup; the real you is in there and sometimes people will get a look at it but more often than not you're putting on a facade that in your own mind looks better than the real you does.

I think it's silly, that's all. Especially with the wonderful anonymity of the interwebs.

Heh, I know the reply I got my new title from. (I would put the quote here..... IF I COULD FIND IT!)

I can tell your title is by EG, because of his habit of leaving spaces between dots

". . ."