Russia - Ukraine

Cdr.Keen

i don't know any of the background and the history of both, but for me as european the situation over there looks very bad.

as germany in world war 2, russia used the olympic games to prepare their attack and now they are attacking the ukraine (like germany poland). and whole europe has to look at it because it dependents to russia (gas).

i'm sure russia has weapons of mass destruction, but unlike they do, usa also keep doing nothing.

i don't know - i thought russia was one of the big 8 - but now they're take the place of germany and try to create their own "europe".

I am Lithuanian and i am am extremely close to all of these things so i can tell it a bit more precise maybe so the story is that back when there was the soviet union Ukraine, Lithuania, Latvia and other countries were part of it after the soviet union was no more he released all the countries and decided to give Crimea to Ukraine because they knew that they will have a lot of influence on Ukraine . So this is a back story and I will tell you what is happening now so the Ukrainians were tired of being controlled by their president because he was washing money from the country to his own pocket but he was very close to russias president Vladimir Putin after years of suffering from the president they decided to revolt and join the Europe  union. now the country had split into 2 parts those for free Ukraine in Eu and those for Ukraine remaining in Russia's influence so this was like a mini civil war the Europe side Ukrainians won the revolt and agreed that the president must resign and leave his post. so this was the first part of Ukraine story. The second part consist of Russia so as you know Ukraine was once part of Russia and the part called Crimea had a lot of Russian talking citizens living there and it was once a legal part of Russia so the Russians decided to take it back and they can freely wage war on Ukraine as it is not yet accepted by Europe union. And a lot of Crimea's people want to join Russia. So this is kind of a long story short.

As for us Lithuanians we support Ukraine in every way possible because we once were suppressed by Russians but managed to free ourselves its time for them to do the same. And yes it saddens me to see that other Europe nations just watch because they need the Russian gas. But there is yet no military conflicts between them they are just showing their power so maybe it all will go out in diplomacy we cant know.

Of topic: there might be mistakes in here because I am just 16 and I am not a English speaker sorry for that

Whilst I am glad to see Yanukovich go (what a shit that guy is) I think denying the Crimea a referendum is a bit hypocritical for the defenders of democracy. If people are stupid enough to want to be part of an Oligarchical pastiche of demcoracy a la Putin's Russia then you should allow them a vote and let them do it.

I am from Russia.

There is only one thing i want to say: if you really thinks about "war" or about military conflict Russia vs Ukraine - please shutdown your TV and never watch it again! 

Now 21st century and i guess all people understand that TV - lie. 

I don't know where you get this information about "war", but please never say something  if you not sure.

Thanks.

As a U.S. citizen i would love to see my country do something with teeth in it. I don't like the new russian aggression that's been displayed for the past decade or so. From what i can tell, between russia, china and what's going on in the middle east we are heading for another world war.

And the problem isn't letting them have a referendum. The problem is having one while russian troops are occupying the area.

Also, to head off the inevitable, please don't get me started on all the stupid belligerent nonsense the U.S. has done in the recent past. The last president was a greedy idiot and i don't agree with half our foreign policy for the last decade.

[...]

Of topic: there might be mistakes in here because I am just 16 and I am not a English speaker sorry for that

thank you for this short story

I am from Russia.
There is only one thing i want to say: if you really thinks about "war" or about military conflict Russia vs Ukraine - please shutdown your TV and never watch it again! 
I don't know where you get this information about "war", but please never say something  if you not sure.
Thanks.

don't take it personally, i just write my thoughts very provocative because it isn't that easy as you say.

sure, no missles are flying yet, but as i know russia sended their army to ukraine and thats a declariation of war. this is no "staff outing" for the army with a cook out and happy end - they invade an other country. don't think about any other european country would do so - e.g. france will invade russia like that.

russia was always able to chose a friendly way and give the ppl the chance to decide - but instead of that they chose to send in armed troops and boycott the UN to take part as an independent advice.

First of all - i am don't take in personally. I am not Russia-fanboy. I live in Russia, i born in Russia, but i don't like my country.

We just a humans, and i wont blame citizens of other countries because they also just a humans. Presidents - little kids and i don't want to be their doll. I hope we done with it.

So, first of all - Crimea is not a Ukraine. Crimea it's another country that in Ukraine. Russia have military bases on Crimea's territory, so.. Russian army always been in Crimea (in Ukraine, as you say). 

New fake government of Ukraine want to dismiss officials of Crimea, but Crimea don't want listen current Ukraine government. (Current government of Ukraine is realy fake, because when you killing police and people, destroy your city and then told to people -> "Ok, well done! Now i am president!" - it's not make you real president.)

Many Russians live in Crimea, and thats why Russian army come to Crimea. Because Crimea (and Russians) ask for protection from new government of Ukraine.

Now Crimea ask Russia to be part of Russia.

Thats all. I don't want to talk about politics because we have too big "language bridge"

Sorry for error. Don't have enough time to fix my spelling. Sorry.

I am from Russia.
Thanks.

Just curious, where do you get unbiased news and information from in Russia?

Just curious, where do you get unbiased news and information from in Russia?

I get information from different internet sources and from my friends, compare it and then make my own conclusions. How can i belive in that what others say me without checking information?

I am a Danish citizen.

I think that NATO and the EU have to grow some balls and force the russians out. Get a agreement with Turkey and block all sea trade routes out of Russia. I have nothing against the country personally. I just think it has gone to far: First the anti gay laws and now this?! I think that the Russians should leave Ukraine and the Crimea alone..

I think the west needs to spend less time reacting to international politics and start educating themselves about international politics.

Western media's perspective on this who crisis is off.  Russia is in a stronger moral position than the west on this.

First of all - i am don't take in personally. I am not Russia-fanboy. I live in Russia, i born in Russia, but i don't like my country.

Russian here as well (actually about 3/4ths). I wouldn't consider myself a fangirl of Russia as well, nevertheless, this is my country and I love it dearly. That said, I neither agree with or approve our government's foreign policy.

With the case of Snowden, our leader(s) did manage to earn a tremendous amount of good PR and seem to have liked it, hence, the whole game to get the Crimean parliament to ask Russia for annexation - if our people are in distress, sweeping in to "save them from the Ukrainian fascists" seems justifiable. Now, it is only a question if the West buys this story (with some material motivation, no doubt) or not. The latter will result in another Georgia, while the former is not something I would like to think about. Of course, everything originates from and boils down to the strategic naval base in Sebastopol...

PS: Another thing is that as a gesture of goodwill when Ukraine disarmed its nuclear arsenal, we gave them Crimea as a gift, so trying to take it back now is ...not very elegant.

PPS: Cdr. Keen, have we met before ? I am quite sure we did - if so, great to meet you here as well.

We just a humans, and i wont blame citizens of other countries because they also just a humans. Presidents - little kids and i don't want to be their doll. I hope we done with it.

So, first of all - Crimea is not a Ukraine. Crimea it's another country that in Ukraine. Russia have military bases on Crimea's territory, so.. Russian army always been in Crimea (in Ukraine, as you say). 
New fake government of Ukraine want to dismiss officials of Crimea, but Crimea don't want listen current Ukraine government. (Current government of Ukraine is realy fake, because when you killing police and people, destroy your city and then told to people -> "Ok, well done! Now i am president!" - it's not make you real president.)
Many Russians live in Crimea, and thats why Russian army come to Crimea. Because Crimea (and Russians) ask for protection from new government of Ukraine.
Now Crimea ask Russia to be part of Russia.
Thats all. I don't want to talk about politics because we have too big "language bridge"

Sorry for error. Don't have enough time to fix my spelling. Sorry.

Нажмите спойлер для моей попытке перевести это на русский язык (click spoiler for attempted Russian translation)

To address the bolded parts...

-Wrong. Crimea was/is a territory that is a part of Ukraine. If a comparison must be made, it's more like a state would be in the US. Or a very large county.

-The new government is not a fake government. They impeached the president that is currently hiding out in your country. (By the way, somebody claimed Yanukovich is dead. heart attack) The current government is a temporary government until elections can be held in the next two months.

-Yes, the pro-Russian patsy that Putin installed in Crimea asked for Putin to save him from the big bad wolf of the west.

There's a guy in my gaming community, a Ukrainian, who spent time on the cooking area for his fellow citizens during the protests and uprisings. He saw what the Yanukovich government did. I saw the videos. Berkut on rooftops throwing firebombs on the heads of unarmed protesters. Yanukovych snipers shooting civilians. Berkut shooting shotguns and assault rifles into the crowd. Maybe I'm an American, but at least I'm trying to take the time to investigate these things. I understand you have to defend your country, if not your government, but I implore you, my young friend, open your mind and expand your sources of information.

A Russian woman, a reporter who works for the BBC, was detained for a short time by these "unknown" soldiers. While she was being detained she noticed that one of the soldiers had a tattoo on his neck. VDV. So Putin sends tough, elite Airborne soldiers into Ukraine, and he looks into the camera and says there are no Russian soldiers in the Crimea, they have to be Ukrainian civilians, pro-Crimean supporters. He says that they bought their equipment in hunting and military surplus stores.

He expects us to believe this ? That pro-Crimean supporters went to the store and bought Iveco LMVs and GAZ Tigrs, vehicles of the Russian army ?

Putin = uncivilized madman.

Для решения полужирным части ... неправильно. Крым был / является территория, которая является частью Украины. Если сравнение должно быть сделано, это больше похоже на состояние будет в США. Или очень большой округ.

Новое правительство не подделка правительство. Они импичменту президенту, что в настоящее время скрывается в вашей стране. (Кстати, кто-то утверждал, Янукович мертв сердечный приступ.) Нынешнее правительство является временным правительство до выборов может состояться в течение ближайших двух месяцев.

Да, про-русская марионетка, что установлен Путин в Крыму попросил Россию, чтобы спасти его от большой плохой волк Запада.

Там парень в моем игровом сообществе, который провел время на приготовления области для своих сограждан во время протестов и восстаний. Он видел, что правительство Януковича сделал. Я видел видео. Беркут на крышах домов бросали бутылки с зажигательной смесью на головы безоружных демонстрантов. Янукович снайперы обстреливать мирное население. Беркут стреляют пушки и автоматы в толпу. Может быть, я американец, но по крайней мере я пытаюсь не торопиться, чтобы исследовать эти вещи. Я понимаю, вы должны защищать свою страну, если не ваше правительство, но я умоляю вас, мой юный друг, открыть свой ум и расширить ваши источники информации.

ля Русская женщина, репортер, который работает на BBC, был задержан в течение короткого время путем этих "неизвестных" солдат. Как она идет, она заметила, что один из солдат была татуировка на шее. ВДВ. Так Путин посылает жесткие, элитные воины в Украине, и он смотрит в камеру и говорит не русские солдаты в Крыму, что они должны быть украинские и российские гражданские лица, про-крымские сторонники. Он говорит, что они купили свое оборудование в охотничьих и военных излишков магазинах.

Он ожидает, что мы считаем, что это? То, что про-крымские сторонники пошел в магазин и купил Iveco LMVs и ГАЗ Tigrs, транспортных средств российской армии?

Путин = нецивилизованные безумцем. Накипь. Филтом.

Russian here as well (actually about 3/4ths). I wouldn't consider myself a fangirl of Russia as well, nevertheless, this is my country and I love it dearly. That said, I neither agree with or approve our government's foreign policy.

With the case of Snowden, our leader(s) did manage to earn a tremendous amount of good PR and seem to have liked it, hence, the whole game to get the Crimean parliament to ask Russia for annexation - if our people are in distress, sweeping in to "save them from the Ukrainian fascists" seems justifiable. Now, it is only a question if the West buys this story (with some material motivation, no doubt) or not. The latter will result in another Georgia, while the former is not something I would like to think about. Of course, everything originates from and boils down to the strategic naval base in Sebastopol...

PS: Another thing is that as a gesture of goodwill when Ukraine disarmed its nuclear arsenal, we gave them Crimea as a gift, so trying to take it back now is ...not very elegant.

PPS: Cdr. Keen, have we met before ? I am quite sure we did - if so, great to meet you here as well.

Well maybe Crimea wasn't a gift to be given in the first place :/

What makes me most sick about this whole affair is how the media revels in it, angling and biasing headlines to attract readers. I think EU is being hypocritical considering sanctions. EU/USA tends to forget that Russia is a large, proud and powerful country. The west develops politics and think their laws apply to everyone beyond their own borders. Well Russia thinks the same.

I'm from Denmark and I think all countries are awesome.... almost all.

The Russians not taking military actions is not true I think our government knows better then plain citizens of Russia. NATO has sent 6 fighter planes to Lithuania to watch over our air safety and there is a chance to get some rocket launchers. I didn't say that Russia is waging war against Ukraine I said that they can freely do it.

Well, most likely they expected our "beloved" Советский Союз to last forever, so giving away Crimea was like giving yourself a gift. That didn't work out as planned though.,,

That's the media for you - nothing is important apart from amassing the largest share of the viewers. There was once a photo of an African kid dying of thirst, which sparked a lot of controversy over how the reporter should have given water to the kid, instead of taking the picture first. In my humblest opinion, that sums up the media's approach perfectly.

The Russians not taking military actions is not true I think our government knows better then plain citizens of Russia. NATO has sent 6 fighter planes to Lithuania to watch over our air safety and there is a chance to get some rocket launchers. I didn't say that Russia is waging war against Ukraine I said that they can freely do it.

While it is a nice gesture on their part, I would say NATO has the talent for situational humour, what with the crisis being related to Ukraine's south... Or, did I miss anything and Lithuania became involved somehow (apart from the EU outrage and sanctions, of course) ?

Another problem is, that if the West is somehow convinced to accept the "saving the indigneous Russian population" excuse, no war will be necessary (not to demean Ukraine's military potential, but a strike by the entirety of the Black Sea fleet could be sufficient to take and hold until reinforcements arrive, evolving into another prolonged civil war scenario).

All of them are. Some (if not most of them) just have bad leaders.

Well, most likely they expected our "beloved" Советский Союз to last forever, so giving away Crimea was like giving yourself a gift. That didn't work out as planned though.,,

That's the media for you - nothing is important apart from amassing the largest share of the viewers. There was once a photo of an African kid dying of thirst, which sparked a lot of controversy over how the reporter should have given water to the kid, instead of taking the picture first. In my humblest opinion, that sums up the media's approach perfectly.

While it is a nice gesture on their part, I would say NATO has the talent for situational humour, what with the crisis being related to Ukraine's south... Or, did I miss anything and Lithuania became involved somehow (apart from the EU outrage and sanctions, of course) ?

Another problem is, that if the West is somehow convinced to accept the "saving the indigneous Russian population" excuse, no war will be necessary (not to demean Ukraine's military potential, but a strike by the entirety of the Black Sea fleet could be sufficient to take and hold until reinforcements arrive, evolving into another prolonged civil war scenario).

All of them are. Some (if not most of them) just have bad leaders.

Amen to that

This is a whole situation that could get unlovely quickly. Just remember if this eventually leads to fighting, especially between nato and russia, that I, as an american citizen and human being, like everyone and disapprove of war in general. Don't let political tensions at an international level affect how you feel about individuals. I don't blame the russian people for the actions of their leaders and i hope my russian counterparts feel the same about me.

Click on the subtitles to read the english version of it. He pretty much explains the whole thing with what is going on over in Ukraine and how it affects Russia (those who live in Ukraine/Europe may find it offensive, be aware. This guy isn't afraid of being brutally straight with his opinions)

To say it, though, I find it quite ridicoulus to compare Russia to Germany from World War 2. I try to stay as neutral in this matter as possible, but ever since I heard that Ukraine government decided that "talking Russian" in Ukraine is considered a crime, it's becoming more and more hard for me to do so.

It seems that ukraine is pretty much going to devolve into civil war. In that case i understand russia needing to protect it's black sea fleet. I just don't like it when any country acts unilaterally. I would like to see more international cooperation to keep ukraine from becoming the next syria.

Click on the subtitles to read the english version of it. He pretty much explains the whole thing with what is going on over in Ukraine and how it affects Russia (those who live in Ukraine/Europe may find it offensive, be aware. This guy isn't afraid of being brutally straight with his opinions)

To say it, though, I find it quite ridicoulus to compare Russia to Germany from World War 2. I try to stay as neutral in this matter as possible, but ever since I heard that Ukraine government decided that "talking Russian" in Ukraine is considered a crime, it's becoming more and more hard for me to do so.

He's saying that the new Nazi government in Ukraine will allow NATO to have missiles aiming at Russian cities. Is that a common oppinion in Russia, that NATO is a regarded threat and humiliator of Russia? I'm just curious because it's difficult from where I sit to actually get a sense of what people in Russia thinks about NATO and the west

The only thing that might have stopped Putin from this land grab is if NATO, the EU, and the US (if NATO refused) had all immediately condemned the act, raised the alert level of our armed forces, deployed the entirety of the 6th fleet into the Med, steaming east, and threatened Putin with armed intervention unless he backed down by a deadline set by the UN.

But because Obama is a coward and a fool, Crimea is lost to Ukraine, until such time as Ukraine is absorbed back into the great Russian Empire that Putin is intent on creating. Frakking madman.