Rotate Map

Magusyk

11 minutes ago, EnigmaGrey said:

I'm pretty sure I would have just passed on Project Zomboid if it didn't have the fixed, isometric camera and pixelated graphics. along with the K&B story and a commitment to simulating large numbers of zombies on screen, that's the main reason I'm here, really.

Just wouldn't have felt the same as a fully 3D world with a rotate-able camera. It also means we don't have to play tag with the camera to interact with and find objects in the game.

I could honestly care less about a rotatable camera and shiny graphics, But I would still like the world the be aesthetically pleasing like most games now a days are, I like the style of the whole flat map and everything but I would rather have a smexy game world with REAL terrain than an old school world with an always flat terrain, I think that's partly why some people judge the game on "bad graphics" I think a fair few would agree with me on that just like a fair few would want to keep the classic zomboid style.

The map doesn't need to be 3D to have details such as hills or river banks. There are serveral ways to do that from simply drawing textures that match to backgrounds.

PZ probably would have had to have been designed with that goal in mind from the beginning, though. Now it'd be an overhaul of 4 years of map just to accomplish that, not to mention engine reworks.

Precisely. And you could still keep the style, just have the functionality of 3D, especially now with the x2 tiles since it won't look like a 3D 90's game. A locked camera would still work, everything would just look smoother. Heck, if you wanted to you could then add shadows and atmospheric lighting, etc. If I sledged a wall pieces could crumble to the floor. Now I'm not saying this will ever happen, I know it won't, but it's fun to fantasize.

Just now, EnigmaGrey said:

The map doesn't need to be 3D to have details such as hills or river banks. There are serveral ways to do that from simply drawing textures that match to backgrounds.

PZ probably would have had to have been designed with that goal in mind from the beginning, though. Now it'd be an overhaul of 4 years of map just to accomplish that, not to mention engine reworks.

I would happily settle for that, I feel that it's a change that's needed down the road to make the world feel more real at least in my opinion.

You could sledge a 2D wall and have it crumble to the floor with a 2D animation, as well. Again, you guys are attributing features to 3D that are still possible in a 2D world.

That said, certain things 3D does much better: shadows, for one. If everything is a 3D model then shadows can be derived on the fly.

2 minutes ago, Spracky said:

Precisely. And you could still keep the style, just have the functionality of 3D, especially now with the x2 tiles since it won't look like a 3D 90's game. A locked camera would still work, everything would just look smoother. Heck, if you wanted to you could then add shadows and atmospheric lighting, etc. If I sledged a wall pieces could crumble to the floor. Now I'm not saying this will ever happen, I know it won't, but it's fun to fantasize.

It's a 15/85 chance ;)

On 4/6/2016 at 7:45 PM, EnigmaGrey said:

Do you think the devs would do that at some point then? in 2D.

Just now, EnigmaGrey said:

Probably not, Sly, though never discount the possibility that Lemmy's played with the idea in private. Would be kind of a bummer to have to rework the current map again, I'd assume . . . though it'd be nice to have better definition for things like river banks.

Maybe for Project Zomboid 2? :D

Okay thanks for the info. Also PZ 2.0 confirmed. I'm screenshotting for future use. :P

It would be an absolute workload nightmare to have a "backside texture" for walls. At the moment if you just switched the angle 45 degrees and just had the texture on one side of the wall mirror to the other side, you would have houses with multi-colored exteriors (because the wall paper on the outer-most rooms would show on the other side) and it wouldn't look right.

On 4/5/2016 at 5:42 PM, Rathlord said:

Its already been explained in detail why this wouldn't be possible in this thread. There's not much else we can say about it. 

I guess I missed that explanation.

Anyway, I was just pointing out how it could be made and got sure I said that I do not know how the game is built and if it could make it possible or not.

It would be awesome it if would be possible. If not, that's cool.

I much prefer the animation style the way it is. Many games make me nauseous, especially all the cool high action zombie games I want to play. PZ gives me high action and no motion sickness. I love it.

Not only that but it really sets this game apart in the genre. So many other games offer high detail gory monsters with first person or third person with camera rotation views. This is the only game I've seen that incorporates both aspects of first person (directional targeting, directional vision) and third person (overhead view) gaming.

Being at 52 total fractures since playing this game... (picked up a few recently) .. I can say a rotating camera sounds nice. But there are other possible fixes as well. And before anyone comments. How in the world did you break your leg 52 times.. I like building stuff. Lots of stuff.. and I'm ditzy and dumb.. And alot of times its hard to see what you are doing if you are building towards the SW, S or SE sides of the screen. Sometimes hard to see behind walls even if something would be directly in front of you at POV. And roofs... roofs... *shudder... So many broke bones putting roofs on structures... 

1 minute ago, EnigmaGrey said:

Right click, walk to. Never break a leg again.

I've tried that, but it gets weird at times when you build walls and have multiple layers with unfinished roof sections. the guy starts walking all over the place. its really bad when trying to "Remove Grass" or place certain tiles when you are N of a wall. The guy keeps going out whatever door to the S and doing stuff there. 

6 minutes ago, Queen Glory said:

Shadows might be nice because being on a roof top in the winter trying to  build it's just... awful... you end the winter with broken legs and shins.

You know I wonder. Right now the middle scroll zooms in and out. i wonder if functionality could be added to click in the middle wheel and then scroll and change "level" of perspective. To get what I mean. Go to the Zomboid Map and load it up and click the Change level thing on the left side. The Sims does this very well and makes the isometric view easy to use, but then again they also have camera rotation.  With the sims, you can do. "No walls" "semi transparent walls"  "full walls" and "roofs"  That may help the views a bit.  

Edited by Slice985

23 minutes ago, Slice985 said:

You know I wonder. Right now the middle scroll zooms in and out. i wonder if functionality could be added to click in the middle wheel and then scroll and change "level" of perspective. To get what I mean. Go to the Zomboid Map and load it up and click the Change level thing on the left side. The Sims does this very well and makes the isometric view easy to use, but then again they also have camera rotation.  With the sims, you can do. "No walls" "semi transparent walls"  "full walls" and "roofs"  That may help the views a bit.  

Semi transparent walls is nice

Yeah, I guess people want to rotate the map more because of the POV on some occasions. Not so much for 3D or anything.

Speaking of seeing behind elements:

Maybe some kind of key to toggle on and off the elements directly in from of the character (player POV, not the actual character) would help.

Something (again) like in The Sims 2 where you can get some king of blueprint view of the game.

As for the "right click - walk to":

Thats actually a nice tip although it gets weird to play like that, sometimes. I guess the ASDW is so perfect for the game...

Bottom line: this game is great and everyone just wants to make it even greater!