Trouble connecting to server

Fatrat

Question

So sorry to bother you, I'm having trouble connecting to my server and could use some help. I strongly suspect it is a problem with my router configuration, the server itself seems to be working fine.

The server is a Lenovo Thinkcentre thin client, running ubuntu server. I followed the wiki tutorial to install and set up the PZ server program via steamcmd, and that seems to start up and run perfectly. I've included a copy of the terminal output on startup, as well as a copy of my servertest.ini file in case I messed something up in there. One thing to note is that I set UPnP to false, because it was throwing an error even though it is enabled on my router. I've also attached 2 photos of my port forwarding rules. I suspect those are the problem, particularly because my router does not give me the option for point-to-point as the wiki specifies for the 16262 port.

Again so sorry I couldn't figure this out for myself, normally I can fumble my way through an issue but this one really has me stuck. Than you in advance for your help!

Port forward rule 2.png

Port forward rule 1.png

servertest.ini.txt PZ server output.txt

5 answers to this question

The router config looks fine, is this hosted on your local network or on a distant network (if you bought a server)
And can you share the IP of the server so we can try testing the connection to it?
Lastly, how did you exactly install the server?

Thank you for your response! Here is the link to the wiki i followed: https://pzwiki.net/wiki/Dedicated_Server

Aside from changing the serverside username I followed it pretty much to the letter. It is hosted on my local network, I have a little tech shelf with my router, modem, and a raspberry pi it lives with. I will re-enable the server program so you can attempt to connect, although I believe my ISP changes my public IP several times a day. At the moment it is 24.231.174.48

The name of the server is Fighting Irish, and the password is masarks. Thanks again, and take care.

Yeah it does not seem like I can connect to it. I cannot even ping the IP actually. Which generally indicates that the IP you gave is either wrong or that something is blocking all the traffic to it as far as I am aware. I would likely recommend checking if any of your router configuration is not blocking pings and connections to you, perhaps in the Security tab of the router?

Additionally, I would recommend testing connecting to the server using your Local IP, just to check that the server itself works. Since a connection through the local IP should work fine.

Thank you again for your help, and sorry for the delayed reply, I work weekends. After your feedback and some research I believe I've found the issue; My Netgear router, in particular the firmware. Apparently at some point they rolled out a firmware version that completely borked UPnP, even when it says it is running. At the moment I'm running the latest firmware version (1.0.4.84), but I've found that others have had success by downgrading to a previous version. I haven't had the chance to try it yet, but will post the results.

Yeah still no luck. I would recommend using this website to search for your server, it should appear on it within 10 minutes or so if started. The website just takes straight from the Steam list, so if you server is here, it should be on the server list as well:
https://www.battlemetrics.com/servers/zomboid

Additionally, are you sure you can host a server on your network? Especially if the IP changes several times, as players would likely have to keep changing the IP as well (unless you have a hostname set up)

Archived