Get your own fortress just almost anywhere

Tsambo

Well i have noticed that in almost all two (or more) storey buildings the staircase is just made out of wood more or less. You are allready guessing it, aren't you?

What if you just destroyed the staircase with an axe or a sledgehammer? Especially in the houses that the stairs are just supported by some wooden pillars it would work 100% and your second storey would be out of reach of the undead for ever. When you have a more sturdy staircase foundation it would work a little worse and a little worse as the foundation gets stronger from case to case. You just have to make a (preferably retractable) wooden ladder or hang your sheet rope from a window. That's it.

Bonus: you don't have to go around building (totally unrealistic as they are designed until now) wooden fences and stuff.

Simple feature to design, totally realistic, really practical. What do you think?

I've heard bad stuff happen when you get rid of the stairs, so I won't even risk getting rid of the stairs.

Well bad stuff are going to happen eventually in a zombie apocalypse. :D

But what do you mean exactly?

I've heard bad stuff happen when you get rid of the stairs, so I won't even risk getting rid of the stairs.

Like getting injured for no reason.

So basically you're saying you want to build a safe house on stilts.

No, i really think i couldn't do that. In fact i don't like building at all (as it is implemented now).

I believe he's talking about destroying an existing property's staircase, rather than building a house on stilts.

YES!!! So simple, yet so effective!

Like getting injured for no reason.

Well i personally would gladly take the chances of falling to zombieproof my safehouse!

This is one of the many Teachings of Brooks. You should get a copy of the zombie survival guide, not only is it the best compendium of zombie survival know how written by Mel Brooks son but it's practically the PZ Bible. Lots of tips like this here staircase one.

I for one, am a fan of stair destroying, risk of falling be damned!

This is one of the many Teachings of Brooks. You should get a copy of the zombie survival guide, not only is it the best compendium of zombie survival know how written by Mel Brooks son but it's practically the PZ Bible. Lots of tips like this here staircase one.

I for one, am a fan of stair destroying, risk of falling be damned!

Yeah that's the book i got the idea from. :)

So how do you destroy the stairs? Can you destroy them allready? I have to confess that i am a little confused over here...

need a sledgehammer to do it. approach the stair, right click,  and look for it to say destroy ...........(wall, industry,furniture, stairs)

Ah, i read an old thread before opening this one. Some guy said that destroying allready existing stairs wasn't in game and i thought that was still the case. Now i feel like an idiot... Oh, well, it's not the first time and it won't be the last one ;)

need a sledgehammer to do it. approach the stair, right click,  and look for it to say destroy ...........(wall, industry,furniture, stairs)

Ah, i read an old thread before opening this one. Some guy said that destroying allready existing stairs wasn't in game and i thought that was still the case. Now i feel like an idiot... Oh, well, it's not the first time and it won't be the last one ;)

DISCLAIMER

i have never tried to destroy stairs. but the method i posted is how you would destroy walls, furniture, industry.

So. Has anyone ever tried to destroy stairs, which didn't build himself?

Yes, it is possible to destroy "not self builded" stairs with a sledghammer.

You should start standing in the middle (second tile) of the stairs, then destroy the upper part.

Climb down one part and repeat until the stairs are gone.

(If you start destroying the lowest part of the stairs, your character will "jump/teleport" up to the middle part, but you might not destroy it from down the floor.)

So. Has anyone ever tried to destroy stairs, which didn't build himself?

Yes, it is possible to destroy "not self builded" stairs with a sledghammer.

You should start standing in the middle (second tile) of the stairs, then destroy the upper part.

Climb down one part and repeat until the stairs are gone.

(If you start destroying the lowest part of the stairs, your character will "jump/teleport" up to the middle part, but you might not destroy it from down the floor.)

Thanks a lot for that post. Clears up a lot.

You don't need a sledge hammer to take apart the floors of a staircase I think... There's nails holding the wooden floor together, usually with some sort of steel mesh covering them. The staircase is actually hollow so removing all the steps is sufficient to make it very hard for a zombie to 'navigate' or step up when the staircase is full of holes, but for a human you can use the walls or railings to support your weight and walk up using the 'edge' of the staircase that holds up what was once the steps for it.

You COULD bust up the steps with a sledge hammer though, though it'd make anyone's foot get stuck if they step into it (and step into a splintery trap).

One good smash at the center of the step, for every step, can make it impossible to actually put any weight onto it as the steps would crumble in half and your footing would fall through.

A crowbar might be of help. In all the bare stairs I've seen they have nails, even in an old wooden building with the timbers held by big wooden pegs. I've never tried it but a crowbar should work. Or maybe a claw hammer. If you have to get the nails out one by one you could use a knife/screwdriver/chisel to remove the wood around it and get at each nail one by one.

Maybe then zombies would scramble over each other and climb zombie stairs.

• 2 weeks later...

I think one of the best places to employ this strategy would be at Cortman Medical. It has the house features: the bed, fridge, oven, etc. upstairs already, so destroying the stairs gives you an isolated safehouse you can access by sheet rope.