Some occupations should remove the ability to pick certain traits.

AlisterSinclair

It doesn't make sense to me that a police officer could be illiterate, or a doctor be afraid of blood... You'd be hard-pressed to find an obese lumberjack. That is to say, some traits are incongruous with some occupations. Frankly, there aren't many traits which DO clash like this, and most of the occupations work pretty well with all traits, but some don't seem to work at all. This is sort of already present, with how some occupations automatically add a trait which is mutually exclusive with another (Veterans can't be cowardly for instance).

This WOULD only remove the ability to add negative traits (as far as I can tell) but this wouldn't be a benefit, as it could make the player pick negative traits they would have avoided otherwise, or multiple traits instead of one bad one, if they wanted to pick a powerful occupation AND have a number of good traits along with it.

Edited by AlisterSinclair
grammar

I've been thinking about this aswell recently. But here's how current trait compatibility could be justified in (almost?) any case:

The occupation displays the major adult experience of your character during his life. It is unknown what could have happened to your character before you start the game.

E.g.:

"illiterate police officer" - a foreign police officer  came to this town to visit his migrated brother right before the infection
"doctor be afraid of blood" - a doctor witnessed bloody massacre during the first week of the infection

"obese lumberjack" - he worked as lumberjack for many years untill something happened and he felt into depression, quit the job and became obese cuz of unhealthy lifestyle

"coward veteran" - his older brother scared him by wearing the zombie mask when he was a little boy
etc.

Really like your idea. Just to promote my own modding work a bit, I have a workshop that adds new professions but as an additional feature, certain professions are excluded from taking certain traits (for example, no illiterate doctors anymore.) See here: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2675128168

Generally speaking, I think it is better to have such a feature in vanilla game than only in mods (I already know all those "there is a mod for this" posts in the suggestion section). Just decided to post it anyway in case anyone might be interested.

Find it funny that you came up with this idea because I had exactly the same idea when I start working on the mod 2 years ago or so.