Realistic food spoilage times?

Goldkat

While there is a focus on farming and cooking for build 42 can we get a overhaul of produce spoilage times? In real life onions last for weeks at room temperature months if stored properly and yet in project zomboid its like 10 days. Same thing for canned goods, if canned properly they will last for years, I understand wanting to balance gameplay with realism but the balance should be something more realistic. IRL you can only use canning lids once before they will no longer seal properly and if you mess up your canning by not sanitizing everything or not putting in enough water then you have a significant risk of rot or bacterial infection. Not to mention you need salt and vinegar which dont exactly grow on trees.

Right now I understand that the game is focused towards the first few weeks of the knox event, but with build 42 adding more mid game and longevity features an overhaul of spoilage times would allow for a lot more preparation and trade. Right now high cooking if valuable because it lets you somehow eat rotten food(not safe IRL the visible rot is just the flower of the fungus, most of it is spread throughout the food) , but I think a better option would be that experienced chefs know how to preserve food properly. In multiplayer it would be a realistic strategy to farm and prepare foods to trade with other players. In single player it would allow you to start storing food for the winter during the harvest season which is something that happens IRL.

Another thing that I would like to see is hardtack, super dry super salty terrible bread. But it lasts for decades, we should be able to make some. Because that is what people used to eat in the past, and if the devs are serious about the crafting system being expansive enough to allow dedicated enough players to build up to a nu medieval society (And yeah I would be one of those players) then its not going to work if all of our produce spoils so quickly and we cant preserve food.