[AUDIO] -- THUNDERSTORM SOUND EFFECT: Discord mute sound fragment/artifact in the sound effect. v.41.78.16

CapTheSamurai

Can confirm:

[Single Player]

[Reproducible]

[version 41.78.16]

I can hear the Discord app "mute self" sound effect in the Project Zomboid thunderstorm sound effect. The first time I heard this a few minutes ago, while I was playing, I thought I muted my Discord app, but then I realized it was not open on my computer. So I ruled out user error. I placed my character outside and performed no input to my computer and continued to hear the discord mute sound during the thunderstorm. I googled "project zomboid discord mute" and saw another report from July 2022 with no real resolution, and no proof. 

Here is a YT video (not mine) of 1 hour of the Project Zomboid thunderstorm sound effect. The sound effect error I heard in my game, that the July 2022 post user also heard, is also present in this video. I have the video time stamped at 00:00:15 seconds and the 'discord mute sound' can be heard during the first half of second 00:00:18. In my headset, it can be heard in my right ear and it is "under"/quieter than the thunder. It can be heard again at 00:02:36 and I assume every interval of 141 seconds after (per the video, at least. I don't know if PZ's thunderstorm loop is naturally 141 seconds or if the author of the video has decided to loop it as such.) 00:04:53 and beyond.

For reference, this is a YT clip of "discord mute" sound effect: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNNRQpP18dg&ab_channel=ElRaio_YT

While not a game-breaking bug, it destroys immersion briefly, though, repeatedly.

logs.zip

Edited by CapTheSamurai
(1) Added final sentence about immersion. (2) Added a couple more relevant tags, added version number to title, added brief info before first sentence, added logs.zip

• CapTheSamurai changed the title to [AUDIO] -- THUNDERSTORM SOUND EFFECT: Discord mute sound fragment/artifact in the sound effect. v.41.78.16

I agree, I have been hearing it for over a year but I thought it was just me since nobody was talking about it. It is such a relief to see that someone else notices it too. It's not game breaking, but it is annoying when your immersion breaks because you thought you muted in discord.

I'm surprised to say after several attempts listening that I can't hear it at any of the three times you say it's audible there, which I find odd, since I have very good ears and an audiophile sound setup, and obviously I doubt you are making up that it's there! What headset are you using (and if applicable and it's not directly plugged into your computer, external audio equipment)? I wonder if there is something about the way it is mixed that makes it inaudible except on certain setups, if so that might explain why many seem not to notice it (and presumably not to hear it).

Can't hear it myself. Very slight bird sound or cricket sound, maybe at 0:18? 

I think it's a bit like the Ceasar 3 soundtrack -- there's one track where I could swear my old 90s landline phone is chiming, but it's really just 3-4 separate sounds that play at a similar time and overlap a little to generate something "like" that tone.

I've just been primed to interpret it as that after 8-9 years of having to always listen and rush to answer it. Haunts me to this day ...

On 3/9/2023 at 7:50 AM, EnigmaGrey said:

Can't hear it myself. Very slight bird sound or cricket sound, maybe at 0:18? 

Any sort of animal sound or otherwise unrelated ambient sound is virtually impossible as it's something that can be heard from my game, a YT video of someone else listening to the weather, and a third person from a different thread. I also doubt the sound mixer / sound team would have put an animal or otherwise unrelated sound effect in the storm soundtrack, specifically. I would also venture a guess that most, if not all, bird sounds cease occuring at night, like the YT video's time shows it is. Same as my experience. Edit: After listening to each storm soundtrack I could find in the files, none have any animal sounds within them, as far as I can tell. So if there were an animal or otherwise unrelated sound effect, I managed to move to my character to several different in game locations during my storm to see if the artifact occurred at all locations. It does. I tested outside in the storm in a field near West Point's Fossoil station, then inside the Fossoil station bathroom, then the woods across the street of the Fossoil station.

What it's seeming to me, now, is this error can't even be heard by some setups, thus allowing it to happen in the first place. I just tried running my audio through my monitor's (ViewSonic XG2401) speakers which are not good quality, at all. It can still be heard, through them.

Like I said further up, it happens at those time stamps but in my headset it's only in the right ear, and while it's not at all quiet, it's not as loud as the storm. It's volume is closer to the level of the rain. The sound effect is also not "centered" in my right ear. It sounds like it's only on the bottom half of my right ear. As if, were I playing a hyperfuturistic VR game with state-of-the-art 3D spatial soundscape, the sound would indicate it's occuring near my right shoulder.

I don't know how to describe my audio set up. It's just a set of Turtle Beach Ear Force Stealth350VR. It plugs into the back of the PC. My PC outputs audio to "Speakers (High Definition Audio Device)".

Looking through my .log, my sound is written as: Sound = { [Manufacturer=Microsoft,Name=High Definition Audio Device], [Manufacturer=NVIDIA,Name=NVIDIA Virtual Audio Device (Wave Extensible) (WDM)], [Manufacturer=NVIDIA,Name=NVIDIA High Definition Audio], [Manufacturer=Focusrite Audio Engineering, Ltd.,Name=Focusrite Usb Audio] }.

I don't think any of my audio output goes through my Focusrite, just my microphone for recording and talking on Discord/game voip. 

Edited by CapTheSamurai
bird nighttime sentence added, added .log sound description copy/paste

I'm currently listening to my in-game storm, right now. I noticed the errant sound artifact I'm hearing only occurs during a specific thunder roll/crackle. Every time. I do not know if that errant sound is within a certain thunder soundtrack or if it's in an accompanying soundtrack that happens to always pair with the thunder roll/crackle that precedes the artifact. Or if the artifact is a combination of several layers of soundtrack all "clashing" in a certain way that an emergent sound I've been calling the Discord mute artifact.

I've been listening through any sound files that sound storm related:

heavyRain

HeavyRainFall

rain

rumbleThunder1

rumbleThunder2

rumbleThunder3

thunder

thunder1

thunder2

thunder3

thundereffect

But so far, I cannot even tell which soundtrack contains the thunder crackle/roll that precedes the artifact. (the thunder that starts at 00:00:14, 00:02:33, 00:04:50, in the YT link) Nor does the artifact present itself to my ears while listening to any of those mentioned sound files above. This is driving me crazy. I'll continue investigating, myself, later, but anyone curious is welcome to share any findings here.

Edited by CapTheSamurai
a few words

Relistening to it with a set of AirPods pro 2 w/ the volume cranked and set to isolation mode, I really can't hear anything at the various suggested locations.

It just sounds like the thunder drops off a little before rising again. Listen to both the mute sound at 0.25x and the thunder at 0.25x in the video, and I think you'll see what I mean. It's a similar sharp increase, dip, then sharp (which is similar, but not the same to the discord sound) increase again, followed by the next crackle of thunder.

Well, that's unfortunate. Whether or not the sound is actually discord, it's so similar that the fact that only one or two other people besides me can even hear it. . . something really odd is happening and I can't figure it out. Every time that specific thunder sound comes around my right ear gets blasted with that noise. Meanwhile, the actual rain and thunder audio is in both my ears, individually.

No recourse left but to create a new game with storms turned off or learn to make my own dang storm audio and substitute. 

Thanks for listening, anyway.

Anyone else brought here from googling, leave a message to bump this topic. It's not worth digging into if there are only 3 of us claiming this issue. the issue has been escalated and will be resolved!

Edited by CapTheSamurai

• 2 weeks later...