Zombies come out at night (sandbox option)

elmarko98

I was watching I am Legend a couple of days ago (great film by the way) and it made me want to play PZ, so I did. And because I was in an I am Legend mood I went on sandbox, made zombies sprint and gave them incredible strength. Yeah I didn't last very long.

But then I thought, how cool and different would the game be if the zombies were exactly like the I am Legend zombies? In other words; if zombies only came out at night.

I love the idea personally, having your eyes constantly on the clock, and just hoping you can find somewhere safe to spend the night while the zombies try to hunt you down relentlessly until the sun comes up?

Obviously it'd be kept as a sandbox option, it goes completely against how the devs and most of us fans want the zombies to be like, I just thought it'd be an interesting option and a nice twist to the game.

Although implementing it would be hard I guess, with so many zombies about and not that many large buildings to house hordes when the sun comes out. Maybe they could just despawn and respawn in the exact same place they despawned when the sun came out. Although that wouldn't be the best thing to do immersion wise anything else would probably be too hard to implement without getting in the way of development.

Thoughts? Solutions? Cheese?

But will they sparkle in the sunlight?

The day this happens I want a refund!! I'm serious..

Edit: Maybe some zombies would have better night vision than others and would be able to maneuver about better at night. a small amount.

Edited by kinyoshi

The Will Smith version of I am Legend is wrong tho, in the original book and film they were wampires but they changed them to zombies like mutants or something!  I never did like the zombies in the Smith version.  Not sure what this has to do with your suggestion tho lol :D

It could be a sandbox option or a mod. Maybe the Zombies are not able to move as soon as the sun comes up.

It really would be creepy to turn around a corner just to see a giant frozen horde that will be able to move in just a few minutes, when the sun goes down.

It could be a sandbox option or a mod. Maybe the Zombies are not able to move as soon as the sun comes up.

It really would be creepy to turn around a corner just to see a giant frozen horde that will be able to move in just a few minutes, when the sun goes down.

Boy that would be freaky, especially if your walking through the herd while the sun sets.

I will say that this is not good please stay to original zombie theme so no zombies only at night.

No zombies fighting each other cause once infected they look for fresh food and alive humans not eating another zombie.

In serie Walking Dead they put zombie intestines on clothes so they can walk past zombies so please no zombies kill eachother.

Well they can make zombies crawling on floor.

But i dont like to be negative on other people threads but im against zombies only at night.

We all thought of it as a sandbox option or a mod.

This means that the survival mode will stay true to the Romero lore and you have the option to turn these special zombies on if you like.

There already are other zombie cutomization options like strong and fast zombies so nighttime-Zombies are not that farfetched.

I will say that this is not good please stay to original zombie theme so no zombies only at night.

No zombies fighting each other cause once infected they look for fresh food and alive humans not eating another zombie.

In serie Walking Dead they put zombie intestines on clothes so they can walk past zombies so please no zombies kill eachother.

But i dont like to be negative on other people threads but im against zombies only at night.

I think to make everyone happy here, someone needs to make this as a mod (in lua, not my forte) so that Vanilla zombies stay vanilla and those who want sleeper zombies (not all zombies would be this way most would still be normal, maybe they turn this way after time) could use the mod to modify zombies.

All I can understand is that you think TWD's strategy of camouflaging your clothing is better.

On a side note: Gallente is better. Squid pls go /EVErivalry

I was thinking about something like this the other day.

What I was going to propose is that the zombies become more active at night with them being nocturnal. When it becomes dark all zombies will move making it very dangerous to go out at night. With the game like this zombies will randomly move about the map, so the need for random gunshots won't be in the game until NPCs are restored.

I see this as a mod- not even as a built in sandbox option, simply because I think the spawning system wouldn't work with the constant removing and re-adding of zombies, not without some pretty serious modification anyway. More precious development time and all.

Maybe, who knows. I am the Iron Man.

The Will Smith version of I am Legend is wrong tho, in the original book and film they were wampires but they changed them to zombies like mutants or something!  I never did like the zombies in the Smith version.  Not sure what this has to do with your suggestion tho lol :D

It had a good ending in the book. *spoiler* In the end he realized he was the monster who was abducting, killing, and experimenting on the vampire/mutant things when all they wanted was to live in piece, they didn't want to be cured and he was the legend because almost no "survivors" were left making him that rare to find monster.

That statue thing would be an amazing mod.

And that comment made me think of weeping angels ._. That would be a total overhaul kinda mod though I think, because they wouldn't be zombies at all they would be angels. And you wouldn't even be able to defend yourself against them unless you had NPCs because they can move as long as they are not seen. The moment they are seen though they turn to stone.

Zombies only coming out at night? Honestly would make the game a hell of a lot easier. But in all seriousness I would be against this even as a sandbox option, sounds too much like a special zombie.

It's not like anyone is forcing you to use it if it's a sandbox option, and there are many zombie things that suggest zombies come out at night/are very inactive until night. Take The Walking Dead for example, probably most popular zombie TV show (I don't even know if there are others) and zombies aren't really active at day, but during the night the streets are crawling with them.

I was watching I am Legend a couple of days ago (great film by the way) and it made me want to play PZ, so I did. And because I was in an I am Legend mood I went on sandbox, made zombies sprint and gave them incredible strength. Yeah I didn't last very long.

But then I thought, how cool and different would the game be if the zombies were exactly like the I am Legend zombies? In other words; if zombies only came out at night.

I love the idea personally, having your eyes constantly on the clock, and just hoping you can find somewhere safe to spend the night while the zombies try to hunt you down relentlessly until the sun comes up?

Obviously it'd be kept as a sandbox option, it goes completely against how the devs and most of us fans want the zombies to be like, I just thought it'd be an interesting option and a nice twist to the game.

Although implementing it would be hard I guess, with so many zombies about and not that many large buildings to house hordes when the sun comes out. Maybe they could just despawn and respawn in the exact same place they despawned when the sun came out. Although that wouldn't be the best thing to do immersion wise anything else would probably be too hard to implement without getting in the way of development.

Thoughts? Solutions? Cheese?

hey i am legend is my favorite movie my friend.

yes it doesnt follow its book and it has different style of zombie infection.

at least its closer to reality.

ill make a mod following this movie. maybe after furniture barricade and npcs start working.

coz my ideas about it are endless my frend.

if i just know how to make a game.

ryt now ill just do modding

Zombies only coming out at night? Honestly would make the game a hell of a lot easier. But in all seriousness I would be against this even as a sandbox option, sounds too much like a special zombie.

It's not like anyone is forcing you to use it if it's a sandbox option, and there are many zombie things that suggest zombies come out at night/are very inactive until night. Take The Walking Dead for example, probably most popular zombie TV show (I don't even know if there are others) and zombies aren't really active at day, but during the night the streets are crawling with them.

I was merely offering my stance on the subject as to whether or not I support this. Your right objectively I don't have to play it if it is introduced as a sandbox option. However in saying that it's not like it's a small thing that is begin asked to be included in the sandbox option. It would require an entirely new spawning mechanic or movement mechanic in-order to make this work. So naturally if Devs were to consider this they need to gauge how many people would actually use this and be interested in seeing this in the game. Thus I offered my opinion and views on the matter, and definitively stated that I personally would not like to see this. It's no point in adding something if only a handful of people want it. In saying that I have nothing against the idea, it's just my personal opinion that it wouldn't be something I would be keen to see in PZ. In it's own right the idea isn't that bad, it's been done in gaming before.

Argumentatively, Being relatively inactive during the day and begin unable to be active during the day are 2 different concepts entirely. The specific reference was to I am Legend as I understand. The walking dead while a good series is not the same concept and I am legend as like you said they arn't really active which in essence suggests they still can be active during the day..

Alternatively, perhaps a sandbox option to make zombies roam at night and stand still during the day (rest/sleep) might be a better solution, it uses elements that already exist within the game and still introduce that element of risk. It would be far easier for the devs to implement into the game rather than telling all zombies to head indoors or to manage the spawning and despawning of zombies at sunrise and sunset.

In conclusion I do apologise for the rather harsh/abrupt manor in which I deliver this post. Understand it's not my intention to offend or conflict. In right you are perfectly alright in saying that this idea is good and you support it, however in my opinion I am incline to disagree and explain why I feel so. This is essentially what I am trying to convey and clear up.

• 3 weeks later...

Having them disappear during the day would be strange, but having them move indoors and away from windows would be better. Hell, have the sunlight kill them if they are stuck outdoors. It would make having a safehouse that much harder, and on top of that would make the seemingly easy task of scavenging during the day occasionally end up impossible. Just my two cents.