MP Sleep system

condings

OK so you cant sleep on MP, but if there was a minecraft style sleep system where every player needs to be in bed before you can sleep i think this would be a good addition. I know that this wouldnt really work on a big server but for small groups like me and my friends this would be helpful when we need to loot and travel far.  let me know your take on this

There's no time for sleep when playing with friends!!! Hahaha

I wondered about sleep before on MP servers, the only thing I could think of is that either:

A) Sleeping would take place in real-time

B) Everyone would have to sleep at the same time

Also, if you weren't in bed by curfew, the time would speed up and you'd be stuck outside!!

For real-time sleep they can always make a last stand-esque 'dream' room and prop you in there with unlimited ammo blasting never ending zombie hordes until you wake up rested, if they get you, then you wake early with a nightmare. That way you get to do something 'dreaming' while you are asleep.

It would be a novel way of handling it.

It might be a good idea to have characters get little naps in. If your character is tired and you're in a relatively safe area, you can just pile up on the couch and sleep for two or three irl minutes. It doesn't last a super long time, but at the same time your character is still getting bits of rest here and there.

Basically just right click and select "Take Nap" and your character nods off for a short while. It's not deep sleep, but it'll help take the edge off of the weariness and is just slightly more realistic than never sleeping at all.

You could always go the Rust route and have your characters sleep whenever you log off, but I'm not a fan of that idea. When NPCs get implemented I'd rather your character simply becomes an NPC while you're logged off. Food, water, and boredom requirements are slashed immensely and your character just acts like any other NPC would do while hanging out in base. If the base gets attacked, they run for it or fight back. It wouldn't be fun to log in and find your character either dead or running from zeds the woods when they were in the center of town in a fortified base, but it would maintain a certain amount of consistency that would help immersion.

It might be a good idea to have characters get little naps in. If your character is tired and you're in a relatively safe area, you can just pile up on the couch and sleep for two or three irl minutes. It doesn't last a super long time, but at the same time your character is still getting bits of rest here and there.

Basically just right click and select "Take Nap" and your character nods off for a short while. It's not deep sleep, but it'll help take the edge off of the weariness and is just slightly more realistic than never sleeping at all.

You could always go the Rust route and have your characters sleep whenever you log off, but I'm not a fan of that idea. When NPCs get implemented I'd rather your character simply becomes an NPC while you're logged off. Food, water, and boredom requirements are slashed immensely and your character just acts like any other NPC would do while hanging out in base. If the base gets attacked, they run for it or fight back. It wouldn't be fun to long in and find your character either dead or running from zeds the woods when they were in the center of town in a fortified base, but it would maintain a certain amount of consistency that would help immersion.

This would be a way but would't it be nice if you could Set up how you character behaves as an NPC while you are offline? So it could be possible to make ihm be have similar to you...would make it more consequent.

On the other hand i would hate to see my character dead every time i log in again

I personally despise the 'sleep when offline' thing, it just seems ludicrous. It is a game, you literally never even pee, immersion is not that important. It would be less immersion shattering to have people vanish into thin air with a global text message saying "XXX Has left the game" than having people sleep for potentially weeks/months ingame.

The NPC thing can work and whenever the NPC "Dies" it gets returned to the bed you last slept in for some time as to "heal" again. That way the NPC is useful to other players and you don't die off-screen. Everybody wins.

At the very least, having your character operating independently as an NPC while you're logged out would render it impossible to die from the meta game, since the meta game could just manipulate itself to where any Inactive PC's (I'll call them I-PC's for the time being) manage to escape whatever crisis the meta game throws at it. If a rival NPC gang attacks your safe house, you fight back and they're rebuffed. Mega horde of zeds sweep through the area? Your character escapes the horde and returns to make repairs when the horde passes through the area.

About the only way you could die would be by player intervention, but there would be ways to mitigate that. My favorite way to do that would be by having NPCs in your group. If you've got NPCs in your group, they would work in coordination with your I-PC while you're logged out and any players that attack you while you're away will have to really WORK for it if they want to kill you and take your stuff. NPCs are the one thing that I believe will set PZ multiplayer apart from all the other zombie games with multiplayer and finding ways to leverage their usefulness I think will be an interesting task.

I kinda like the idea of your character waking up injured and recovering if your I-PC gets killed while you're logged off, though. Not sure if it fits the game well, but at the very least I think it could be a server option to activate if the Admin wants. Make it so that permanent death is only possible when you're actually playing. That way if you lose your base and all your supplies at the very least you'll still have your skills so you're not quite starting from square one when you log back in.

Indeed I agree that NPC's will probably be a game-changer when it comes to MP, my only qualm would be if my IPC got killed while I was offline. I would literally stop playing for quite some time if I lost a high level characted due to something I was not present for. Hence the 'critical injury', and as Kaijin said, if the house gets compromised or destroyed then at least your personal kit/xp is still there to start anew. Could even add a few "Starting over" items to keep the game going and not punish players for having real life to contend with.