I can connect to my own server only once.

alexkntgn

Question

I can't join my own server more than once. I get stuck on loading after the intro. Friends can join the server as much as they want.
Only by deleting the world I can join again.

Vantus explains the situation below:

I tried validating my game files and deleting both my character save and (later) my server save. Sadly this didn't fix it.

I actually went the whole nine yards and completely uninstalled Project Zomboid and deleted all associated files.

After a fresh start it still didn't fix the issue.

Here's a step-by-step guide to what I'm doing (with screenshots!). Keeping in mind that I've already successfully forwarded my ports:

1. Launch the Server

jsv06Q2.jpg

2. Wait for server to start then launch Project Zomboid (64-bit), enter the correct IP, Port and a Username. Then join.

3. Success!! I'm on my server and playing without issue. (See just how fabulous my character is!)

FQMGmQG.jpg

4. I check the Player List to make sure I'm definitely online. Aah-yup!

W9Q6Hem.jpg

5. I decide I don't like being quite so fabulous so I decide to come out of the game.

6. I forgot I left a dead rat in the cooker at Bob and Kates house, so I decide to go back in to stop it!
(Without closing, restarting or deleting the server)

7. Unfortunately my days of being fabulous are over because I am unable to get back in. I am presented with a forever loading screen.

zmIQ591.jpg

8. I alt+tab to check the console and see this:

LHYxlxb.jpg

9. I cry into my Weetabix.

So there you have it. I'm sorry I didn't have any of my friends around to occupy the server as back up in my screenshots but I can confirm that while I experience all of the above, they can join and disconnect as frequently as they wish, even with new characters.

The only way for me to get back into multiplayer again is to delete the "servertest" folder in my User>Zomboid>Sandbox directory, thus undoing any work we've achieved on that world save. I am then subject to my One-time-connect rule in the new world save. Rinse and repeat.

I hope this helps or at least highlights where it is I am going wrong!  :)

What I have to add is that I tried hosting the server on a second laptop in my wifi, and joined with laptop-A (using local IP of the second laptop) and got same results. So I don't think this is about using the same machine, but using the same router(?).

Some router info:

Firewall: Tried Enabled/Disabled
SPI: Disabled
DNZ : enabled and using host's local ip 192.168.1.3
Ports:  
            Protocol:ALL
            Start/End Port Number16261/16293
            Local IP adress : 192.168.1.3
            Start/End Port Number (Local) : 16261/16293

4 answers to this question

Try and change your IP to "localhost" when you start up a game and then do it again... (instead of the usual 127.0 blabla IP)

I did i used both the host's local IP 192.168.1.3 and the default IP 192.168.1.1. Nothing new

It might help to see your client console output.  Look for the Zomboid folder in your Window's User directory.

The file is console.txt, post the contents in spoiler tags here or on pastebin.  Or a screenshot of the last part of the client console.

I get exactly the same as No.8 on Vantus' post if you need more information I could recreate the situation.

While I couldn't solve the problem, my friend is hosting our server so at least we can play.

No, that's not what I meant. I meant DON'T fill in the IP as "192.186..." etc... but literally join your server under the "IP" localhost. So no numbers, just "localhost"

You will then get save files like "localhost_sassa"  instead of "192.186.1.3_sassa" as well. This worked for me.