[WIP] SICmod (AKA Beer and Duct Tape)

RegularX

So I used to mod a lot with the Unreal engine, back in the Unreal Tournament (through about UT2004 days) - but since got a job, made a living programming "serious" things, etc.  Zomboid, however, seems a great chance to crack back into it.

I'm working on SICmod ... or Stuff I'd Change AKA Beer and Duct Tape.  Basically just minor gameplay tweaks.  Since I just cracked open the Lua scripts, not entirely sure what's realistic yet.  But I'll use this post as a status/TBD update.

Kinda working:

• Beer - just what you would think.  It's beer.  Comes in a can, refreshes thirst.
  • Duct Tape - Repairs melee weapons in a way similar to bandages.
  • Custom Magazines - Like normal magazines, but specific titles which you can actually learn things from.
  • Diluted Bleach (Disinfectant)
  • Grain Alcohol (Booze or Disinfectant)
  • MouseTraps (Rat Traps, actually)
  • Simpler kindling (I think having an axe or a saw is really req enough for a Park Ranger)
  • Reloading Key
  • Proper config / version

Planned/TBD:

• Tons of balancing and tweaking

Releases

And now I get the Kitten Knife joke that much more - thanks.  There might be a more utility method way of doing that, but that's enough info to get there for sure...

Nope that's the "official" / proper way of doing it now at the moment ;)

well... I could just make a file that adds an global function

function AddItemDistribution(buidlingId,containerId,itemId,itemchance)table.insert(SuburbsDistributions[buildingId][containerId].items, itemId);table.insert(SuburbsDistributions[buildingId][containerId].items, itemchance);end
surely if I would make said file I would add more parameter checks but why would I add this code if every modder can add it into there code?

well... I could just make a file that adds an global function

function AddItemDistribution(buidlingId,containerId,itemId,itemchance)table.insert(SuburbsDistributions[buildingId][containerId].items, itemId);table.insert(SuburbsDistributions[buildingId][containerId].items, itemchance);end
surely if I would make said file I would add more parameter checks but why would I add this code if every modder can add it into there code?

Yeah, this was more along the lines of what I was thinking.  Just seems like it requires more lines than really necessary at the mo.

The problem arises when you iterate through something that might be a table, might be a hashmap or might be an array or a combination, and at the same time attempt to delete entries that match a certain criteria - all this with 3 or 4 different ways of iterating, which is certain to cause confusion among beginners who think they can use that function anywhere they like and use # to get the size of any table.

?

for i,v in pairs(table) do  print(string.format("index: %s and value: %s",i,v));end
for both it works the same.

as of the deletion table.remove(table,itemindex); does that for both numerical or string keys

you have a point that #tablename would return strang things if you mix both indexes but WHY would you do that? that's a bad coding habit if you do that!

Would drinking beer give you a beer belly, like real life?

And if they put screaming because your scared into the game (and right now with RoboMats sleep mod) can you make it so I can ducttape my survivors mouth shut before going to sleep scared, so I don't have to worry about waking up screaming?

Would drinking beer give you a beer belly, like real life?

And if they put screaming because your scared into the game (and right now with RoboMats sleep mod) can you make it so I can ducttape my survivors mouth shut before going to sleep scared, so I don't have to worry about waking up screaming?

A life of zombie running seems to be improving fitness ...

And yes, if screaming ever gets added - I'll definitely look into it :)

?

for i,v in pairs(table) do  print(string.format("index: %s and value: %s",i,v));end
for both it works the same.

as of the deletion table.remove(table,itemindex); does that for both numerical or string keys

you have a point that #tablename would return strang things if you mix both indexes but WHY would you do that? that's a bad coding habit if you do that!

I think I explained why - it has nothing to do with printing indexes. It might be a bad practice, but I have no control over other people's bad habits.

OK - if you'd like to test it, here's a build: http://sicmod.herokuapp.com/SICmod.zip

As tagged, this is tested currently against 9.11 - I'll be trying 9.13 later tonight (probably).  Should work 9.10+ though.

Mind you: First mod.  Which means it probably suffers from "First Mod Syndrome".   Also I just started coding Lua on ... Friday night. So that build is a weekend of work. I haven't had much time to test, test for balance, prove it isn't crashing under scenario X or won't completely trash your save.

Other than that - enjoy the beer. 

OK - if you'd like to test it, here's a build: http://sicmod.herokuapp.com/SICmod.zip

As tagged, this is tested currently against 9.11 - I'll be trying 9.13 later tonight (probably).  Should work 9.10+ though.

Mind you: First mod.  Which means it probably suffers from "First Mod Syndrome".   Also I just started coding Lua on ... Friday night. So that build is a weekend of work. I haven't had much time to test, test for balance, prove it isn't crashing under scenario X or won't completely trash your save.

Other than that - enjoy the beer. 

Wow!!  Haven't played with it yet, about to go to bed, but looked at all the code. Wow!!

Edit: Just tested it a bit. Love the Learning! :D

Edited by kinyoshi

*Looks through code*

This is a weekends worth of work? WOW...cant even get my guy to say "mmm" xD

He will though....even if I have to use your tape, crawl into the game and drag his cocooned carcass through a horde....he will say "mmm" :evil:

K, so it seems like in that build that if the infection had progressed pretty much at all - then uninfecting the wound would just make you feel better for a while, but then you're still dead.

Trying a version now which will slow or stop if the infection hasn't gotten too bad.  After a certain point, though, there's only so much that can be done with grain alcohol....

OK, Rat Traps in the last version were wwaaayyyy to overpowered.  To balance a bit on both sides, I've reduced the likelihood of catching a rat greatly, but also add skinning rats with a kitchen knife.  Skinned rat, tastes just like chicken.  Even uses the same icon.

Disinfectant feels relatively well balanced, but will probably reduce the amount of Grain Alcohol in the distro.  Basically if you can disinfect the wound soon enough, you stand a decent chance.

I may also add some tweaks to farming and camping, if I can do so without trampling over what is there now.

Will play with Nail Guns and Ziploc bags possibly this weekend.

OK, the release I've got up (check OP) is probably near complete.  I'm trying to test for balance now on 9.15, but that might be hard until they've debugged the zom population/density.  I've increased the rarity for both rat traps, duct tape and grain alcohol - based on how useful they were on the last run.  I also went ahead and made catching rats harder since I don't want them to become an unlimited source of food (or not easily at least).

There are also config variable in both SICmod.lua and SICLootTable.lua if people want to turn things on / off (or increase rarity).

Will move to Completed forum after the next Desura release.

• 2 weeks later...