Version: 41.78
Multiplayer

Host

No Mods

Server initialized in 41.78
Reproduction steps:
1. Aggro Zombies

2. Move during a certain time with zombies aggro

3. A certain number of zombies disapearing, and some times all of them like the video below

Video: https://clips.twitch.tv/YawningObservantSwallowTBTacoRight-eMBkt4b5TeKLHmNA
Note: 
It appends in the server of my friend too, with the same version of the game

I am having the same problem. They are disappearing but pop up later at the same place or close. Yesterday suddenly a group popped up next to me. This killed me after killing 28k. Really annoying. The disappearing and popping up happens most the times working with the siren to pull zombies but also without it.

7 hours ago, Bolle said:

I am having the same problem. They are disappearing but pop up later at the same place or close. Yesterday suddenly a group popped up next to me. This killed me after killing 28k. Really annoying. The disappearing and popping up happens most the times working with the siren to pull zombies but also without it.

Unfortunately, people now use a Java mod to disable culling, sacrificing FPS for more zombies on the screen. 

So my best guess is that when one person has the "fix" and another person doesn't, it'll cause the zombies to be de synced between clients. They didn't seem to get that the deletion list is synced between the server and clients. 

Otherwise I can't explain why they seemed to be in full walk mode when they popped in.  It's a bit hard to tell without names on, but that was another player crossing the screen, wasn't it?

"Normally" when zombies spawn in they're in their idle state, albeit briefly, before the pressure of other nearby zombies or sounds causes them to move. These aren't. So I don't really get it ... We've seen zombies, ofc, walking in place when a server runs out of RAM, but this also doesn't seem like that.

I was playing on the server and seen this zombies walking in my direction, then they was walking in place for a time, few secs later they disapeered

On 1/21/2023 at 11:37 AM, Pepepizza said:

2 hours ago, EnigmaGrey said:

So my best guess is that when one person has the "fix" and another person doesn't, it'll cause the zombies to be de synced between clients. They didn't seem to get that the deletion list is synced between the server and clients. 

We were only two on the server with no mods and none of us had the "fix"

2 hours ago, EnigmaGrey said:

walking in place when a server runs out of RAM, but this also doesn't seem like that.

Can you tell us what can cause the server to run out of ram?

I am not sure about the java mod. I know that there is a sync problem in MP with two players close. In my case I was alone. The ambulance was parked near in front of a building to pull out the zombies with the siren, I left the car with a group of zombies to kill them. After a few meters they stopped moving and disappeared, Being out off the siren range this happened a few times to me but this time I was still in range. So after they disappeared I went back to the car, Only a few were left at the ambulance. It should have been more! So I killed the leftovers and started to check out were the rest is. Suddenly a glimse away from the car the first group popped up. I could flee but ran into the next group that popped up. The end of the story and me,

Zombies shouldn't pop up or respawn near a player (stop in at least 2 cells away until the player left the cell) which also still happens although we do not have respawn on. On the server before with respawn it was hell. The back was free, so you start to fight and suddenly a zombie in the neck. Was seen by other player or on stream. Wonderful.

Would be intersting what happened to Pepepizza after the zombies disappeared.

• 5 weeks later...
On 1/25/2023 at 8:38 AM, EnigmaGrey said:

Unfortunately, people now use a Java mod to disable culling, sacrificing FPS for more zombies on the screen. 

Otherwise I can't explain why they seemed to be in full walk mode when they popped in.  It's a bit hard to tell without names on, but that was another player crossing the screen, wasn't it?

"Normally" when zombies spawn in they're in their idle state, albeit briefly, before the pressure of other nearby zombies or sounds causes them to move. These aren't. So I don't really get it ... We've seen zombies, ofc, walking in place when a server runs out of RAM, but this also doesn't seem like that.

Has nothing to do with the mod as I've tried this and recreated the issue a few times.

Here is the log of what it is doing.

LOG  : General     , 1677365212582> 186,724,909> Zombie: removing stale zombie 5000 id=29328
LOG  : General     , 1677365212605> 186,724,931> Zombie: removing stale zombie 5000 id=29573
LOG  : General     , 1677365212626> 186,724,953> Zombie: removing stale zombie 5000 id=29517
LOG  : General     , 1677365212648> 186,724,974> Zombie: removing stale zombie 5000 id=29427
LOG  : General     , 1677365212648> 186,724,975> Zombie: removing stale zombie 5000 id=29633

So the issue is, what is a stale zombie? How does the game determine that? It's very immersion breaking and it has nothing to do with RAM as I tried this on a fresh vanilla server with 12GB ram and only me, with apoc settings.

Stale zombies are zombies that haven’t seen a remote update in 5000 ticks. I’m guessing that means they were originally properly of another user that is no longer near or no longer part of the server sim.

If you’re using the mod, you should know it’s going to cause a schism between clients that have it and those that don’t, leading to the simulation on the server and other clients to be out of sync.

Whether this is a symptom of the mod or not, I have no idea. I’ve only two logs from users with that since 2021.

33 minutes ago, EnigmaGrey said:

Stale zombies are zombies that haven’t seen a remote update in 5000 ticks. I’m guessing that means they were originally properly of another user that is no longer near or no longer part of the server sim.

If you’re using the mod, you should know it’s going to cause a schism between clients that have it and those that don’t, leading to the simulation on the server and other clients to be out of sync.

Whether this is a symptom of the mod or not, I have no idea. I’ve only two logs from users with that since 2021.

That log is from a fresh vanilla server. Something is wrong with the logic in it. As me the player is still fighting these zombies and generating noise and still should be visible to them as they are pursuing.

It is very easy to recreate as well. Spawn some zombies, fight, kite them backwards, fighting if you wish, eventually they will start to stop, turn around, walk in place, and then just simply vanish. It's a horrible "bug" as zombies are to be this looming threat that who relentlessly pursue you. Here they advance for maybe about 2 chunks and just vanish, not only that but it trivializes the threat of them as they just straight up get removed.

So this is no symptom of the mod, I found the code in the isoZombie.class, but it seems like it might need another check or something to insure that the zombies are out of view or something, so they do not just do a vanishing act. So when it comes to remote update what does that mean exactly?

if (GameClient.bClient && this.authOwner == null) {
            if (this.lastRemoteUpdate > 800 && (this.legsSprite.CurrentAnim.name.equals("ZombieDeath") || this.legsSprite.CurrentAnim.name.equals("ZombieStaggerBack") || this.legsSprite.CurrentAnim.name.equals("ZombieGetUp"))) {
                DebugLog.log(DebugType.Zombie, "removing stale zombie 800 id=" + this.OnlineID);
                VirtualZombieManager.instance.removeZombieFromWorld(this);
                return;
            }

Also I would like to thank you for your time and for letting me ask you some questions about a game I am very obviously passionate about :) (Almost about to hit 4,000 hours on PZ, one of my most played games ever.)

Edited by Yeahcoolcoolbro

Maybe the check should flat out just be removed. It's deleting a ton of zombies for no reason. Is it for performance? When I do play I like to play with zombie fix, I am 100% fine to take a FPS hit for more zombies, this is just a small server with friends, plenty of RAM, everyone on gaming PC.

It would be nice to have the options to choose more zombies vs more frames instead of it being chosen for us. As what the popularity of "Zombie Fix" and how it's highlighted on Retanarus channel it shows people consider more zombies = more fun.

I mean look at this image of them just all being deleted and for what reason?

AZDWbAv.png