Water + Freezing Winter Mechanics?

Cidxgaming

I have not yet played on a winter server.

When the grid is down and you are having to get water from rain barrels on the roof or what's left in random sinks, does the water and/or pipes freeze?

Or is this not taken into account in the current engine/game settings?

No. Water doesn't freeze and the only issue with water pipes is when the water officially "turns off". 

The only freezing occurs in the refrigerator's freezers. And then that's just with food. You can't freeze water in them.

Which I never really thought about before this. It could be useful in keeping food preserved for days-long trips out of base. You can't do this in game, but I'm just imagining a game mechanic that lets you take the cooler container item (already exists in game), put a frozen water bottle in there to keep other foods from spoiling out of the fridge. Have the water bottles frozenness degrade over like 2 or 3 days into just a normal bottle of water. Probably a little complicated for the game engine, but it sounds.... cool.  

48 minutes ago, Sick Boy said:

You can't do this in game, but I'm just imagining a game mechanic that lets you take the cooler container item... put a frozen water bottle in there to keep other foods from spoiling out of the fridge.

I've wished those containers would actually do something since the first day I saw one.

I just this weekend played on a Winter Server (the blizzards are pretty sick) and we tried leaving food outside in the 10* degree weather to use the front porch as a refrigerator but unfortunately that does not work. Shame. 

I think the pipes and barrels freezing in the winter would be a great mechanic.

Archived