Martial Arts

Baba

Use different fighting strategies on zombies by learning them from TV tapes founded around the world. For example Karate, Judo, Boxing, Jiu-Jitsu, Muay Thai. 

Why? So you can be strong without weapons and defend yourself in case of sudden attack.

Edited by Baba

This seems like a pretty cool idea. Learning a martial art could help in reducing the chances of bites from behind and stuff. It could also teach your character more effective ways of incapacitating a zombie (Behind the knees, breaking joints) and keeping distance if you don't have a weapon in hand. Clinching and grappling would be a pretty big risk I feel, as zombies are going for a bite and being so close would put you at greater risk of injury/infection.

Edited by Exphon
adding more clarification

In fact, in order to avoid being bitten by some zombie, you don't need karate, but the ability to use the stationery tape available in the game to wrap thick clothes in three layers. So you can make perfect armor against zombies, which will be impossible to tear or bite through.
But I know that it will break the whole balance in the game.

In the book World War Z (which is nothing like the movie) there is some talk of a special form of martial arts specifically targeted towords fighting zombies. I believe it's unlikely most people would be able to learn real martial arts from just watching tapes, it would at least be much more difficult without a trainer present as having somebody to point out specific small flaws in your form and technique that are important to fix.

19 hours ago, vek said:

In fact, in order to avoid being bitten by some zombie, you don't need karate, but the ability to use the stationery tape available in the game to wrap thick clothes in three layers. So you can make perfect armor against zombies, which will be impossible to tear or bite through.

Average human bite force can be nearly 200 pounds and who knows how the zombie infection affects that or if they have broken jagged sharp teeth, 3 layers of regular fabric might help but it's not completely bite proof and you'd definitely still get a very nasty bruise at a minimum.

The improvised armor being discussed is a good idea, but I don't think it would protect against blunt force trauma from a pack of zeds beating / kicking someone (especially if they were downed on a hard surface they could be stomped against).  If the zeds retain sufficient instinct, they might also try to tear off / apart any armor that's getting in their way.  

On 1/12/2023 at 5:54 AM, vek said:

Layered armor would need to have a greater impact on your characters well-being like dizzyness of overheating and thirst, faster exhaustion and way slower movements in combat. Then I guess the tradeoff would be something the player had to consider. As of now I don't even think about this - hot summer but hoodie, leather jacket and helmet? Yesss! Better hot than rot...

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/13/2023 at 10:55 PM, getstoopid said:

Layered armor would need to have a greater impact on your characters well-being like dizzyness of overheating and thirst, faster exhaustion and way slower movements in combat. Then I guess the tradeoff would be something the player had to consider. As of now I don't even think about this - hot summer but hoodie, leather jacket and helmet? Yesss! Better hot than rot...

Overheating without sufficient hydration and electrolytes can even lead to fainting, which would be quite dangerous around zombies trying to eat you, even without its still a head injury risk.