Convert Survival to Sandbox

ThirdHorseman

I've done several searches of the web and these forums but I haven't seen an answer, so I'm hoping someone here can assist.

I've been playing a Survival game for a while now.  Game is deep into winter, I have a great base and a character with lots of skills.  But I want to make some changes to the settings (2 hour days, change transmission, vehicle mechanics) that I think will make the game more enjoyable.  I've been going into the map_sand.bin file and editing the information there, but it doesn't seem to be taking effect in the game.  For instance, I changed the day to 2 hours but the game is still progressing on the 1 hour default. 

I've noticed that the game resets all the settings of map_sand.bin back to the defaults once the game closes, and then at certain points during gameplay, so it's very likely that the changes I'm making are just getting overwritten.

Can I start a new sandbox game and then just transfer all the files from the Survival save directory to the new game directory?  Is there some other way to convert my current game from Survival to Sandbox so my changes will not get overwritten?

Thanks!

Because the info about the world is saved in several other files, just modifying the sand.bin would not be enough. And if you try to copy over the other files it can have bad consequences, for example things such as time resetting, crops not growing and so on.

Archived