Rocket stoves

Zombiologist

The antique wood fired stoves found around the game are nice, but many people opt to heat with their own home made wood firing options. A very popular method for those with welding skills is to convert a 55 gallon drum into a rocket stove, which can burn wood more effeciently than the traditional cast iron wood burners so you need less fuel to run them. They also weight a bit less and are easier to move around when needed. Depending on how you build it they can also be used for cooking, boiling water, heated flooring, a homemade hot water heat, and quite commonly to make a heated bench or bed (done so that more heat is taken from the pipes and radiated into the house rather than being expelled from the chimeny). Anybody who can weld and has the basic materials could easily make a rocket stove, so I think it's within the scope of what an average person could make during the zombie apocalypse.

• 5 weeks later...
On 1/7/2023 at 5:24 PM, getstoopid said:

I really like the idea of a homemade stove but the problem I see is that then there would be no reason to go out and find an antique oven if you could just learn how to build one yourself and on top of this it would even be better.

Maybe it could be more of a temporary situation and has a chance of burning down.

• 1 month later...
On 1/7/2023 at 5:24 PM, getstoopid said:

I really like the idea of a homemade stove but the problem I see is that then there would be no reason to go out and find an antique oven if you could just learn how to build one yourself and on top of this it would even be better.

If you need high metalworking skill to get it, most people would opt to just go grab one from their guaranteed spawns.