Zombies disappearing upon loading

Prioctopus

Question

Hello everyone,

I am playing this game with the objective of clearing all zombies on the map by starting with max population (4x) and no respawn.

Sometimes, i can't really say when, when i reload after quitting to desktop the day prior, all zombies in the neighborood are gone. I literally have to sprint for 20 seconds to find one, to then notice that the zombie population is as dense as it is supposed to be 

Can anybody help me? The game never crashed, i play with three mods which are more objects and the "has been read" one. Please help as this bug or whatever it is breaks the whole experience and purpose of my playthrough

Have a nice day!

14 answers to this question

Not at the moment, we could not reproduce the issue that you were having, neither in the exact area nor with the exact settings that you were having. Meaning there might be something else that causes the problem. Such as what Enigma said, any mods or sandbox settings changes during the gameplay can cause problems. And possibly if you forcefully close the game or if the game crashes then that may cause problems with the spawning as well.

@Beard It happens randomly, and i have no way on how to record it. the times it happened (3 times in the last month or so) it was always after a day or so of not starting the game.

EDIT: i can add apic of when i traveled to the middle of the same cell i started my save (elementary school of Rosewood) and despite never heading north, i managed only to encounter two zombies, all inside a house. but when zooming and looking further, you can see there are the many zombies that are supposed to be in every street i have not cleared

https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198069931243/screenshots/

@Beard To me it seems like it stops saving cell infos after a week of playthrough in game time. Idk if it is due to the amount of zombies and corpses it has to save, but i even put the zombies corpses to disappear after 6 hours. As i have shown in the picture, it seems like they are being deleted only in half of the cell, about ten chunks from my saving and reloading position. i checked neighbouring cells and they don't seem to be affected

Screenshot: https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198069931243/screenshots/ 

Edit: nevermind, neighbouring cells are affected, as the southern chunks are completely empty despite never being there. I can confirm a 10 chunks radius (the green grid on the Project Zomboid map project)

Try checking the zombie population by using debug mode perhaps?
Steam Library > Right click Project Zomboid > Properties > Set Launch Options > Type -debug > Start the game

When you have it enabled, load in, go to Debug menu -> Dev -> Zombie population.

@Beard i did, and i got this image upon returning to the reload location. i spawned (and cleared) only the two houses on the bottom right of the school and the school itself, with its close surroundings. I never even looked at the houses on the left or above, but they are completely empty except for one with zombies inside https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198069931243/screenshots/. if i move slightly westward i can see the horde of zombies that is supposed to be present in all uncleared areas of the map https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198069931243/screenshots/

Btw i want to thank you in advance for your kindness and for helping.

Hmm yeah that might be a problem. Could you perhaps share the whole save folder so we can test with it? I recommend zipping it up first, since the files have very good compression ratio.
You can use any file-sharing website of your choice or a temporary one like filetransfer.io for example.

Thanks, this will be fairly useful. Could you also share the "Logs" Folder in the User/Zomboid folder? It contains all your game logs, you can zip it up as well for good compression. We are trying to see if there were any errors in your game which would better lead us to the cause.

Archived