Noise and other zombie mechanics questions

Darain

Hi guys, I'm new to the game, been binging it but now taking a break as no access to computer.

I have been browsing Zomboid wiki, and I'd like to clarify more on sources of noise and the range of it.

Firstly, is there a source where I can find out what generates noise, and how far? For example, breaking a window clearly attracts zombies, but the question is how far away can zombies here it?

Likewise, under the "Vehicles" page of PZWiki, car engine loudness has a number attached to it - is it the number of tiles a zombie can hear it away? Does RPM rev of a vehicle affect range of the noise of the engine? Muffler quality? By how much and how far? Some sounds in game such as climbing a window or opening doors appear to generate a noise, but it is not apparent if this noise is for player-feedback only, or also attracts zombies. I have also scaled certain tall fences and the zombies treated me as invisible despite shouting right across from 3 tiles away.

Secondly, how does the game handle zombie migration? Is it purely from meta events? Will zombies triggered by meta events destroy any player-made structures in its path? What happens to zombie-respawn mechanics if I drag an entire cell's population across to another cell, or is it impossible (they stop short of a cell's border's when I cross a cell?)? What happens to zombie-respawn mechanics when a cell is overpopulated, does the AI Director de-spawn zombies, or force zombies to migrate? 

Thank you very much guys.

There is a setting when making a server (at least there is through the Indifferent Broccoli server host i use) that specifies zombie hearing range. Default is 100, which i would assume to be 100meters. The vehicle noise detection/attraction is set to 1.0 by default and has a max of 10. So i would assume that to be more of an amplified range rather than distance. Meaning if zombies can hear a vehicle from 50m away at default setting 1.0. Changing that setting to 3.0 would mean 3x as far (150m). Though that is entirely my speculation.

As far as Zombie Navigation, I believe there are a few YouTube videos demonstrating that.

If so, by how much and how far? It's unclear whether or whether the noise made by actions like climbing a window or opening a door is only for player feedback or also attracts zombies. Also, there have been times when I climbed a particularly high fence, shouted over to the zombies, and they ignored me, even though I was just three tiles away. dordle

On 1/9/2023 at 2:50 AM, alecognitive said:

If so, by how much and how far? It's unclear whether or whether the noise made by actions like climbing a window or opening a door is only for player feedback or also attracts zombies. Also, there have been times when I climbed a particularly high fence, shouted over to the zombies, and they ignored me, even though I was just three tiles away. dordle

So a few things. Some servers have a setting which states "Zombies are more active at: DAY or NIGHT or BOTH ??" So if you happen to set that zombies are more active at night, then that means during the day they are more lethargic and don't chase as far. It's possible this setting was involved there, I am not sure.

As far as the range on hearing or reacting with the other sound settings, I am not sure, you'd have to play with it and see. You could also always turn on "Pin Point Hearing" or "Eagle Vision" settings if you are in control of the server and feel like they aren't engaging you enough =)

ALSO: High Fences...
If you jump over a fence that Zombies cannot climb over or knock down, they will ONLY give chase to you if there is a possible entrance through the fence in the general vicinity. Meaning if there is fence door or a fence opening maybe 50m away, then when you shout over the fence they will start walking to that direction to go around the fence to get to you. However if the entrance to a fence is too far away (unsure on distance) then they will not give chase, and they will just stand there. Its possible when you jumped over, the route for them to get to a break in the fence was too far away for them to recognize, and therefore they just stood there.

Archived