Custom Tilesets and fences for PZ Map Editor

Ambrosios

Hi everyone,

I thought that it may be useful that I share my experience with custom tilesets with PZ Map Editor. I did a little tutorial to explain the process to adding your own tilesets to PZ and how to create your own tiles. In bonus, you will find a little chapter about adding more fences to the fences tool.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask me.

Tutorial link (Public access) (v1.1 03-05-2014) :

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4IIbPlTwOdmNU5lRmVsTkdhY2c/edit?usp=sharing

You will find inside a .PDF tutorial and example files.

Next version :

• How to : One object on multiple tiles

WARNING : Custom tiles only work with the Map tool at the moment. If you try to load a custom maps which contains custom tiles in PZ, those tiles will not load.

I'm trying to find a way to load those new tileset in PZ but it seems to be hard without some modding support from the dev. If I'm not wrong, Tiles are stocked into Tiles.pack. You can unpack it with a tool that you can find on this forum, but I didn't know what to do with all unpacked files.

Even if I success in repacking the files with the custom tiles, it means that it will be very hard for multiples modders to use multiples sources of custom tiles. They will need to unpack and repack every time they add a new tilesets and it will work only for their maps.

Could the best solution be to use the same process with modding items and profession ? For example, we put the new tileset in a mod/MyMod/media/textures/Tileset_MyTileset.png and it load/overwrite the tileset ? I think it would be more easy to use multiple tileset from multiple sources.

I tried to convert free-for-use 3D models to 2D isometric tiles. It works fine, but there is still room for improvement. Multi-tiles object are really hard to do (I'm not an artist, I prefer lines of code rather than photoshop workspace ).

140302124843700417.png

Would be nice to have a PZ-Medieval settings :D

I think that I found a way to create multi-tile objects easily from 3D models. I'm going through some testing, and if it works, I will update my tutorial.

EDIT : That's working quite well.

14030501342565525.png

Here is a two-tile armchair. There is still a small imperfection where the two parts are jointed, but I think it's mostly due to the 3D render and color approximation. Can be corrected with any paint tool I think.

For a quick explanation on how I did it :

I separated the 3D model mesh into chunk of 1meter by 1meter.

I create a plane (the grey floor we can see under the object) centered in zero. This plane will be used later to correctly place the tile in the tileset.

For each chunk, I move it to be on the plane and at the border of the plane where there is a joint (here, for the right side, I placed the left edge of the chunk on the left side of the plane). I render in isometric view, with the plane filling all space from left to right direction.

In my tileset, I import the two tiles rendered and place them so the plane is fitting right into my grid of 64px.

And it's done !

I will try this with other object, and if it's viable, I will complete my tutorial tonight.

Hey, it's me again !

Tutorial v1.1 is finished,  you will find more information about creating your own tile and how to place them in your tilesets. A new section Tips and Tricks has been added to give further informations and possible issues that you may encounter (Thanks to Abdool for the idea !).

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know the plans for how custom items will be transferred in a multiplayer game? Would it be like source games where you download the servers data specifically? I'd love to get into making more tiles for this game but don't want me to be the only one who can see them. 

Does anyone know the plans for how custom items will be transferred in a multiplayer game? Would it be like source games where you download the servers data specifically? I'd love to get into making more tiles for this game but don't want me to be the only one who can see them. 

Nothing's been said on how this will work. If you're worried, it's best to wait until there's official details on mod support for multiplayer.

• 2 years later...