More ways to be stealthy.

Zombiologist

Currently the stealth options feel kind of limited. To see through curtains you have to open them all the way, same with doors. You can't peak over fences or look through the cracks you have to commit to jumping over them without knowing what's on the other side. You can't lay flat or hide pretty much at all, you can't drill peep holes into doors or walls and no peep holes exist in places that would make sense like motels. There also aren't many options for misdirection, no laser pointers, mirrors can't be used to reflect light, no way to make smoke or dust clouds beyond smoke bombs, no sort of flash bangs or teargas home made or otherwise, most options to make noise require you be at the source of said noise when you make it, etc. I'd like to see a lot more stealth options, maybe even camouflage like home made gillie suits, camouflaged hide outs, and such. It'd be cool to see options based on the skills of the player as well, for example and engineer or a person with high electrictian level may be able to make remote control noise or light makers, a person with high trapping may be able to make trigger distractions using long strings they can pull on or trip wires, etc. I suppose the stealth options wouldn't be used a great deal against default zombies since they're very easy to avoid other than perhaps stealth killing with a rifle, but they could be very useful for other zombie settings, and perhaps NPCs or even players if developed well.

23 hours ago, Modin said:

Stealth kills with melee weapons. Silencers.

I think such stealth skills would have to require a very high skill with said weapon, and should be limited to specific weapons such as knives. Perhaps if you shoved your padded arm into the zombies mouth from behind and stabbed it in the nervous system, temple, or eyes quickly enough and carefully lowered the corpse to the ground it might work, but I'd sure be risky and depending on what you use for the padding your arm would still get bruised pretty badly.

Also "silencers" are actually called suppressors in real life, and they work nothing like the movies. The gun is still very loud, just not ear damaging loud. Suppressors are primarily used for protecting your hearing and increasing your accuracy slightly by reducing recoil anticipation not making you more stealthy. However I'd still very much prefer a supressed gun in a zombie apocalypse if I had the choice, as less noise may at least reduce how much attention I bring if I'm lucky.

22 hours ago, vek said:

I think it's time to add bows and crossbows to the game.

Bows and crossbows contrary to popular belief are not completely silent, they string makes a good snap that will reveal your position. Rock slings, shepherd's sling, atlatl (spear thrower), and hand thrown weapons and objects are the only truly stealthy ranged weapons. There are also stealth bows which are modified to be much quieter than regular bows. They sacrifice some of their range for this though.

18 hours ago, getstoopid said:

A crossbow makes some noise yeah, but not nearly as much as a gun and a bow is even more silent. A suppressor for a handgun reduces the noise a little bit and every bit would be useful I guess.

I've seen a product on Amazon once called a beaver ball. Its some kind of furball thing you tie to the bow string, and it somehow dampens the sound of the bow string release. Dunno if they work, or were a thing back in the 90s.

Also don't know why it's called a beaver ball.

On 11/6/2022 at 6:26 PM, knightshousegames said:

On 12/29/2022 at 5:56 PM, Papa Juliet Whiskey said:

I've seen a product on Amazon once called a beaver ball. Its some kind of furball thing you tie to the bow string, and it somehow dampens the sound of the bow string release. Dunno if they work, or were a thing back in the 90s.

Also don't know why it's called a beaver ball.

You can easily make something similar by attaching plenty of fluff onto the string in two sections one near the top and one near the bottom. Not sure about the beaver ball but the fluff does work to reduce sound but at the cost of some range and arrow speed.