Modding Question | Making your own map

Cidxgaming

Hey all, 

Have a 100+ hours in PZ now (great game), and wanted to start modding and making my own map/city. Like many of you on here, I'm DYING to recreate Raccoon City. =X

I see some map mods on steam have their own cities that you can load into that are exclusive and some are simply additions to the existing game, and are found on off-shoots of roads in the farm lands etc, allowing you to both play with the original game cities + the new expansion city.

QUESTION 1:
If i'm new to modding and want to start fresh, is it easier/better to simply make my own map/city, or is it easier/better to start creating a city that is attached to the original game map?

QUESTION 2:
If I start with my own exclusive game map, can you overlay it into the existing original game at a later date?

The process is exactly the same either way, only difference being if you are looking to connect it up to the vanilla map then you need to line up your roads etc (which isnt very hard).

The difference between a standalone map and a map that adds to vanilla is a single line of code in the map.info file

"Lots=Muldraugh, KY"

if this line exists it will be a part of the vanilla world and overwrite any cells that already existed there, if it does not exist then the map will be standalone. You can add or remove this line from your mod very easily to change it between standalone and expansion.

21 minutes ago, RingoD123 said:

The process is exactly the same either way, only difference being if you are looking to connect it up to the vanilla map then you need to line up your roads etc (which isnt very hard).

The difference between a standalone map and a map that adds to vanilla is a single line of code in the map.info file

"Lots=Muldraugh, KY"

if this line exists it will be a part of the vanilla world and overwrite any cells that already existed there, if it does not exist then the map will be standalone. You can add or remove this line from your mod very easily to change it between standalone and expansion.

Ah ok so putting a custom map into the game OVERWRITES the cells that may already be there. That's good to know. I was wondering how that worked as well. Thank you for the information. =)

How do you large custom map makers go about creating your maps?

When making a new large custom map, is it best/easier to do it as a huge whole map?
Or is it best/easier to make several small maps and probably splice them together at a later time perhaps?

Like Louisville, was that made in sections (like here is the hospital map + police station map + etc spliced together later) or was it a huge 50x60 cell map or something and they made it all at once slowly?

Archived