LEAKY ROOFS

megaman204

So i started to play project zomboid today and it started to rain and i thought "oh thats no big deal" so i  stayed inside and waited. suddenly i heard   BBBBBBOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!!!!

and i literally screamed "OH F**K". that's when i realized it was thunder and i had to apologize to my mom. but that gave me an idea. Leaking roofs. in the apocalypse roofs wont have regular maintenance so it would make sense if they leaked especially in heavy rain. but just that idea led to some other stuff to think about. here is a list so you dont get lost in all this text.

1.leaking roofs

2.ladders (get on the roof)

3.sealant (fix the roof)

4.zombies climbing (get onto roof)

5.zombies falling through roofs (kinda like walking dead)

6.slipping on wet roof

7.have to think about your base abit more

8.not as easy to survive

personally i think it is too easy to survive. leaky roof might make it abit harder. and it wouldnt have to happen to all the houses just a few like once every month to a random house.

thats all folks.

thanks for reading

Sounds good except for climbing zombies.

The slipping on roof would be something i'd like to see too. But i was also in favour for the clumsy survivor thread and since there were some not liking the idea i don't know what others might think of it. But if suddently everyone agrees i think the clumsy survivor thread should get a revival out of fairness ;)

I agree, no climbing zombies. Maybe if a structure was crumbled they could walk up the slope? There would only be a few of them able to just barely be able to walk, or rather scramble, up the fallen structure. Most of them would have a high chance of falling though, if it was wet. It could also cause severe damage that you might just have to go to another safe-house temporarily or permanently. Players would have to go on runs the weren't planning on because the weather damaged their 'safe'-house and possible their safety.

Either way it's a yes from me for this to be implemented. :D

Yeah, heavy storms should have a small chance of damaging structures. Like Roofing or poorly built player walls. 

I like the idea.

What do you mean by damaging - loosing health, if so they would have to be fixable as well to be fair. Or would you rather consider option to "loose" carpentry level (and so max health as well), where the only option would be to barricade them?

Depending on the frequency of such events, it could prove to be a resource sink hole.

... That an according to the Zombie Survival Guide only 1 in 4 zombies has the coordination required to climb a ladder, forget a wall. 

:D I don't know how relevant that is to the game lore but I had to share for anyone who hasn't read.

sorry if i was unclear on that. i meant like climb up the ladder you put down to get on top of the house.

i would never suggest that they could climb a wall.

I think the idea is good but it does make the game much harder than it already is and also it would be a pain too have to fix the roof andore tedious then the idea may be worth.

In my understanding, it's the point of PZ to be hard. I wouldn't mind it if it would get harder with a feature making it more realistic at the same time. There are already enough dumbed down games out there.

I think the idea is good but it does make the game much harder than it already is and also it would be a pain too have to fix the roof andore tedious then the idea may be worth.

its not like your roof would collapse with every storm. just like random houses and the chance of it actually happening wouldn't be that high. Its like look at how many houses are on the map. imagine how unlikely it is that your safe house roof will actually collapse or leak.

If you built a lot of walls around your area but didn't have a lot of carpentry experience when you built them, I think it stands to reason that strong storms and high winds would knock them over and necessitate repair work to put them back up..

Repairing a leaky roof isn't too difficult. It just depends on what the problem is. If it's roofing tiles, you just need a hammer and some nails and some new tiles. If it's tar, you gotta apply some more. I mean, it's backbreaking time consuming work but it isn't difficult.

Repairing a leaky roof isn't too difficult. It just depends on what the problem is. If it's roofing tiles, you just need a hammer and some nails and some new tiles. If it's tar, you gotta apply some more. I mean, it's backbreaking time consuming work but it isn't difficult.

Or some pots to catch up the water ;) .

I like the idea and it would be wonderful if combined with the erosion-nature-takes-over-mod.

In addition, I would imagine that with leaks in the roof (or destroyed windows) the temperature in the house can fall.

Or some pots to catch up the water ;) .

I like the idea and it would be wonderful if combined with the erosion-nature-takes-over-mod.

In addition, I would imagine that with leaks in the roof (or destroyed windows) the temperature in the house can fall.

I dig the water catching thought. I was just building a crappy barrel this afternoon and I thought to myself "Hey! Why can't I just drop any one of those 12 pots I have in the kitchen on the ground to collect water?"

More general to the topic:

Zombies can't really climb. My understanding is that they really only climb ramps. As in they will climb up a dozen of their dead dead buddies, but even going over a chest high fence is just as likely to be problematic as not. And if you have enough corpses piled up around your house to allow them to walk up on to your roof... you've got bigger problems, I think.

A leaky roof isn't as common as people seem to think. After a year an untended home in monsoon country may develop a few leaks but it would take time. Your run of the mill cabin shack in the middle of the forest... well yeah more of a problem. And certainly a bunch of shambling corpses bee-boppin around on your roof would certainly accelerate the damage. To that I'd say, "See Above"

Composition roofing seems to be the general style roof in muldraugh and west point. In real life, composition roofs are built with colored granule shingles that come in about 32 per bundle most often. It takes quite a few bundles to build a small house. Repairs usually only take a bundle or two, depending on the severity of the leak. 

Really bad leaks tend to advance through the material and in to the wood underneath. This is called "dry rot" and worsens overtime. The roof will eventually cave in from this if not taken care of. Some roofs after a decade or two just gets old and needs to be replaced, some roofs are simply not built right and need to be replaced, and some roofs, if built right and out of the right material will last a longer time.