I think it'd be nice to be able to lock pick in the game like for car doors as well as regular doors.

I think this mechanic could be some kind of lock picking skill that you'd improve from picking locks as well as boost through lock picking books. Maybe there could even be a locksmith occupation that gets you started on the functional capabilities of said skill. Perhaps the skill could also be in the burglar occupation. 

I think for the tools needed it'd be standard lock picks or maybe you could even make some out of the paperclips you find in the game.

For starters, It'd be nice to be able to unlock a car without having to find the key or smash the window in addition to hotwiring it.

As for doors it'd be nice being able to get in the building without having to find the key or bash my way in through said door or other entrance. 

For padlocks it'd be nice to get through those too.

I guess for the mechanic to work, with all the proper items and skills in hand you'd right click the you want to lock pick and select "pick lock" and the progress meter would fill up as you pick the lock. It will take a few tries until success and fewer tries and faster ones as you level up.