[MOD SUPPORT 32.17+] The Walking Dead Prison v3.3 (TV Show)

LeoIvanov

i managed to do some testing, i used no zombies and abundant everything in sandbox.

apparently there is a chance for gas cans to spawn inside, and generators power a really small section of the prison (i connected one outside at floor 0 in that fridge area you posted, the power couldn't reach the ammunation area).

it's pretty fine then, people will have to prioritize the fridges and it's amazing that the noisy generator will be placed in the only area of the prison that is not well protected, that area will always be attacked once migrations happens :D

i thought that perhaps the freezing thing happens more because of the no zombie settings, may that be a thing? even though i got way less freezing after a while (in v31 i had them constantly).

i also wanted to ask if there is a way to get to that area without a sledge since i can't seem to find one, actually i can't even find a sledge inside the prison even on abundant loot + lucky (sledges on single player are my doom, i never ever ever ever ever find one), so what is the main way to get to that part of the building?

I believe that if you choose the carpentry-centered profession and skills, you could, in theory, build a staircase that leads to the second floor and reach through the broken gap in the wall. You won't need the sledgehammer to get to the entrance, but you'll still need something to break down the doors. A single hammer/axe will do the work just fine.

Edit : Also, I think there are a couple of fridges down in this area, too. 

There are quite a few fridges inside the prison. 

EDIT: Here, for example. On level 1 (second floor).

is that new? or have i completely overlooked it all this time?

Yep, you did overlook it, it's been there since version 2.0. You can only access it through the barricaded corridor that leads to the gunshop, though. You'll also have to do a bit of trickery and tip-toeing around the edges... quite literally.

There are quite a few fridges inside the prison. 

EDIT: Here, for example. On level 1 (second floor).

is that new? or have i completely overlooked it all this time?

Yep, you did overlook it, it's been there since version 2.0. You can only access it through the barricaded corridor that leads to the gunshop, though. You'll also have to do a bit of trickery and tip-toeing around the edges... quite literally.

You can find it here in Muldraugh :P

Nope, can't still find it :(

The coordinates should be X9807 Y9515, been there twice and nothing. 

I'm actually playing on Mac, build 21 i guess? Old stuff, is the map still compatible? Most mods are so I don't think its a version problem... tell me if i'm doing something wrong please!

You can find it here in Muldraugh :P

Nope, can't still find it :(

The coordinates should be X9807 Y9515, been there twice and nothing. 

I'm actually playing on Mac, build 21 i guess? Old stuff, is the map still compatible? Most mods are so I don't think its a version problem... tell me if i'm doing something wrong please!

you didn't give enough info for him to help, personally i can't tell what's wrong, if it's a version issue or you did something wrong.

what's the version? (main menu, bottom right)

did you follow the instruction literally to install it?

what other maps did you install and are working fine for you?

I'm actually playing on Mac, build 21 i guess? ...

If this is a "Project Zomboid" build you're talking about, I think you're about 10 versions behind the current, stable build. I doubt that my map is compatible with game versions this old...

lol that's a lot of missed new stuff

If you were talking about the excessive usage of "New!!1" in the title, I had to show people that there was an update for the map that they should check out  :D Changed it to something less desperate.

ok i'm trying your map with a real game with no test purposes (i used no zombies and stuff just to reach the place faster and check it)
aaaaaand, i have no clue how is it, i keep dying and i love it :D
plus i heard that easypickins used your zombies configuration in the latest updates, that makes it even more ironic XD
truth is i'm using a character with my real bad and good traits so i'm kinda screwed anyway but still i got killed by zeds surrounding me and not by my stupidity, it feels awesome :D
i'll let you know when i reach the prison :D

To be perfectly honest with you, I am yet to see a youtuber or player who could reach this prison, take it over and make it as their own base in a single life without dying once. Even I, myself, to this day still couldn't do it properly  :D

I think it is supposed to take far more than one single survivor to take it over properly and keep it running as a safehouse... You know, just like in The Walking Dead, right?

To be perfectly honest with you, I am yet to see a youtuber or player who could reach this prison, take it over and make it as their own base in a single life without dying once. Even I, myself, to this day still couldn't do it properly  :D

I think it is supposed to take far more than one single survivor to take it over properly and keep it running as a safehouse... You know, just like in The Walking Dead, right?

and it's awesome, take the place or (actually it's AND) die trying

i'm about to try with the crossbow mod to see if i can do any better, i may record it as soon as i get good enough to reach the place and take it over, but somehow my game slows down as soon as i start recording

anyway the crossbow may really be a key item there, though mastering it will require to give up on founding the food fresh still fresh and i'm really likely to die due to an alarm XD

i need to figure out a couple of things about hosting and then i want to try with two friends, i think the team needs to be either small or big but with few players combat oriented

oh man, no way can it be done with one character. 3 characters to clear it is my average, 2 if i use necro forge for ammo and med supplies.

i just don't understand why no server yet has had this as their community safehouse. guess i will have to get a new server going after Build 32 drops and have this as the spawn point/ safe house/ community garden area

Yeah, the "objects.lua" is, essentially, just a game's file with a few more lines from modified WorldEd's zones file (Since I had to make it so the forest zones work properly and you don't get to forage in the prison's courtyard).

I'll need to consult with someone who's more experienced with this than I am. I have no idea how to input the modified zones into the map without changing the objects.lua.. I tried making it as a mod once, Instead of fully replacing the "Muldraugh, KY" folder it instead "created" another, separate "Muldraugh, KY" map choice with the same description and everything as original Muldraugh.

Maybe EasyPickins could make it so the custom mods are capable of replacing specific files within the existing map, instead of creating the whole separate folder? I don't know, I need to PM him, but thanks for letting me know about a reason why not many people use this map on multiplayer  :D

• 3 weeks later...

Apparently, the modified objects.lua file is breaking the game, so I highly advice people not to replace within the game files, and to verify cache for those who have already installed this prison map.

I'm currently consulting with Tim regarding how to make this work better (and possibly appear as an actual mod instead of forcing you to replace original files), and will report back when this happens.

If you don't install objects.lua along other files, the only thing you'll have trouble with is being able to forage inside the prison yard. It's also possible that there won't be as much "world events" happening close, like gunshots or other stuff, but the prison will still be there, and zombies should be able to migrate around that area properly. Sorry for the inconvenience.

The download link is broken :(

The link to the 3.2 version of the prison seems to break the game, and I'm currently working on a version provided by Tim that makes it work as an actual mod instead of forcing you to replace original files. Enough digging on dropbox might get you to find the original file as all I did was just replaced the original files into a separate dropbox folder, but I'd rather people wait for a new version to be honest, saves me the nerve of telling people to wait ^_^

Now The walking dead prison is officially working as a mod, meaning you don't have to replace original files anymore. Big thanks to EasyPickins and Body Builder for their help in making this new version come true.

Main post updated with download link.

Download v.3.3 here (for the lazy ones)

Also updated the readme file with both English and Russian instructions on how to install or find the prison within the archive. Enjoy!

Would you consider making more TWD maps? Like terminus or woodbury?

I was thinking about it a while ago, and came to conclusion that terminus and woodbury are just.. a bit boring to map, to be honest. Because what are they, essentially? Just a bunch of "normal" buildings in a block tied together with an outside wall that stops the zombies from coming in. I think that is something that an actual bunch of players can do better than a single mapper, like me. Because you have the two story houses built together, and you have means of creating temporary walls that can hold zombies from coming in. A project like this has already been done by Man Bear Pig, I think, and a lot of interesting stories came together from it.

The prison is more interesting because it's a single, fixed location, that existed before the outbreak and that can possibly become your base, if you clear it out from zombies. There you have the perfect set up, like in original TV series, and allow players to play around in it and make their own stories.

When the TV show comes up with a more interesting safe location that isn't just "a bunch of houses surrounded by a wall", I might get on mapping those, otherwise I think the players are perfectly capable of building their own walls without outside help from the mappers :)