Locked mailboxes (and locked containers in general)

Zombiologist

It seems odd to go about the PZ world and never find a single locked mailbox. They have security mailboxes that require a key to get into and are designed to be more difficult to smash than traditional mailboxes. Many of them are square instead of rounded. Perhaps these could have higher odds of containing something worthwhile. Additionally locked containers and vaults in PZ could be interesting and likewise more likely to contain goodies since looters would have a harder time getting in.

Can't you already lock containers with padlocks?

It would be cool if some annotated maps had the locations of locked caches with the combination for the lock written on them, so it would almost be like a treasure hunt

Alternatively there could be locked caches in Survivor houses, and you'd need to find a key or a combination to get into them, like gun lockers and fire boxes and so on.

On 12/5/2022 at 4:44 AM, Octopus said:

I don't know much about breaking into mailboxes, but I'm assuming you would be able to get into them with a blowtorch (thus leveling up our metelworking skill?)

I've never tried breaking into one but I imagine a sledgehammer and enough time and determination would be sufficient, though a blowtorch would likely be faster and less noisy. They are strong but don't appear to be as strong a say a vault as far as I can tell. Either that or lock picking would do it. Probably the best method to take them in a zombie apocalypse would be to simply take the entire mailbox home and smash it up there, assuming the pole isn't also reinforced which they sometimes are.