MadDan

Hello peoples! I've searched through numerous topics and only really found one that said about this, but it wasn't focused on this primarily. My idea is fairly simple really, well the idea anyway. It's just a quick button press to get behind a wall your character is close to. 

Why is it important? Well, for one shootouts tend to happen a good amount of time in PZ's MP, at least from my experience a trade goes south pretty quickly. There's been times when I barely got out of there because I was armed. Which eradicated trust, but one time I got shot and I had to run around the entire building, I saw him at a place where I could have taken cover if that were possible. Would have been useless since I had no ammo. So I ran into a hotel room and bashed his brain in with a crowbar. It could have turned out differently.

There was also two of them at the place, one with a gun which was obviously not the plan so at that point I would have loved to take cover and use local chat to ask why there were two of them there. There is so much use for this in-game but it's probably a difficult task in an isometric game, right? :(

It could be useful in SP also to peek around the corner and used for shootouts as well. Shootouts are another entirely different topic but they could attract a really massive horde because of the amount of noise being created. 

Basically if I'd been shot from someone who was trading with me and I made it to a wall or any object like a wooden bench, fountain, inside a house I could use chairs, duck underneath the windows. We could press, for example "q" or right click and "take cover" which would be a "sprint to" command so people could have a chance to bandage and/or peek out and take a shot to keep the other person at bay.

cover/crouching are part of confirmed yes (more animations) ... once 3D engine will be in with models

I was wondering what exactly that meant, I'm really happy to see this is a planned feature. Is there any place you can link me to where the devs have said it themselves? Forums, site?

Sorry can't seem to find it, but I think it was mentioned either by Lemmy or RJ a while back. Something like late fall, last year... Somebody do correct me if I'm utterly wrong! I'm not even sure if it was on the forums.

EDIT: I did find this in a Mondoid from last July:

Line of sight

NPCs will have proper line of sight, and will react to seeing zombies and strangers as you might expect them to, and thus sneak mechanics become more interesting. Sneak into an NPC safehouse at night and take what you need? Stake out the safehouse and watch for the stronger NPCs leaving to gather supplies, avoiding guard patrols. This all becomes a big part of the game. In future when we have anims for sneaking / peeking this should add a whole new level to the game-play and it’s very exciting to imagine what will come from it.

There was also one mondoid about modelling, where they said that any new animation for spites is hard as it requires a lot of drawing, while with models it will be a lot easier (also for modders) to control and add animation to the characters.

As for crouching behind bushes or something like that I can't really find anything, my forum search skill sucks balls (think it's -1 in scale 0..5).

Isn't the peeking while crouched to look through windows? I don't see anything about taking cover behind objects though. :(

Doesn't mean they won't do it. We will see. :) Taking cover is quite a common feature in games. Also you can almost count it as taking cover when you strafe and hug a wall. :P

Isn't the peeking while crouched to look through windows? I don't see anything about taking cover behind objects though. :(

Doesn't mean they won't do it. We will see. :) Taking cover is quite a common feature in games. Also you can almost count it as taking cover when you strafe and hug a wall. :P

Hopefully, but I want the real thing. There's a little downside to that as you can't blindfire (which I doubt would ever be a feature), but you can't peek in and out of cover quickly taking shots at people. Thanks for the help looking guys. :D

I'm looking forward to being able to peek out through the windows of my safe house without alerting people to my presence. That way you could trade in the middle of the street while your friends overlook the situation from cover and if the deal goes south they can cover your escape with gunfire from the relative safety of the windows.

Hmm. Today, I was Playing MP, and was making a deal with a friend, when we were AMBUSHED by a group of guys. They seemed to just have saw us, and decided to attack. My friend was killed by a shotgun blast, and i was shot in the leg with a pistol. I was able to kill all of them, with a shotgun, but I had at LEAST 5 gun wounds. Taking cover would have been great. That character unfortinatly died from her wounds :'(

Exactly what I'm talking about. MP is survival of the fittest and of course some NPC groups will probably think that too, right? That's why cover's extremely useful. I'm glad I'm not the only one whose had a deal go incredibly wrong. It's still as intense, but I'd rather a longer shootout that could end in some melee combat or just running away.

I'm looking forward to being able to peek out through the windows of my safe house without alerting people to my presence. That way you could trade in the middle of the street while your friends overlook the situation from cover and if the deal goes south they can cover your escape with gunfire from the relative safety of the windows.

Or a rooftop built with a watchtower or some walls. Only thing is I don't think it's possible to shoot anyone that's not on the same level as you currently, maybe I'm wrong. But this is the sort of stuff that would make it more interesting and more secure for safe-houses that might get ambushed.