Foraging vs loot rarity

Luky_L

Hey, I just have question about loot rarity and foraging. Does loot rarity also affect foraging, because before the insanly rare option was an option I could sustain myself off of foraging (with extremely rare loot and very abundant nature) now it gets a lot harder (with insanely rare loot and very abundant nature), I always thought that foraging loot was only affected by nature abundance. Thanks in advance for shedding some light on this topic for me.

10 hours ago, Hugo Qwerty said:

As far as I know the two settings are unrelated.  A recent change means you need more calories now though (apparently walking & running didn't used to burn more calories than standing still, now they do).

Well thats what I thought that those settings are not related but 

• Fixed an issue with forageSystem.lua not accounting for the new loot rarity settings.

this is statement from the last hotfix 41.78.12 seems like loot rarity has something to do with foraging, but it is not explained anywhere, not on the wiki and no thread about it on reddit or steam. 

From forageSystem.lua:

abundanceSettings    = {
		NatureAbundance  = { -75, -50, 0, 50, 100 }, -- bonus percent density per zone
		OtherLoot        = { -100, -95, -75, -50, 0, 50, 100 }, -- bonus percent density per zone
	},

Maybe the OtherLoot value is used for man-made item found by foraging, so if you turn down the loot settings you'll find less weapons, junk, etc.  I think the recent change was adding the -100 and -95 to reflect the two new loot settings in the sandbox (none and incredibly rare).

3 hours ago, Hugo Qwerty said:

From forageSystem.lua:

abundanceSettings    = {
		NatureAbundance  = { -75, -50, 0, 50, 100 }, -- bonus percent density per zone
		OtherLoot        = { -100, -95, -75, -50, 0, 50, 100 }, -- bonus percent density per zone
	},

Maybe the OtherLoot value is used for man-made item found by foraging, so if you turn down the loot settings you'll find less weapons, junk, etc.  I think the recent change was adding the -100 and -95 to reflect the two new loot settings in the sandbox (none and incredibly rare).

Very well may be,  I honestly havent thought about man-made foraging loot, but now it makes sense that loot rarity settings most likely affect those. Thank you very much for your time and effort to explain.

I have also noticed that if you hover over the foraging window now to see the rarity of items in the current zone, a lot of items are marked as "None" and items that used to be just rare are now "Insanely Rare". This is with Foraging at lvl9:

zomboid foraging rarity.jpg

I don't remember anything being marked as "Insanely Rare" before the patch, let alone "None".

23 hours ago, bpdlr said:

I have also noticed that if you hover over the foraging window now to see the rarity of items in the current zone, a lot of items are marked as "None" and items that used to be just rare are now "Insanely Rare". This is with Foraging at lvl9:

I don't remember anything being marked as "Insanely Rare" before the patch, let alone "None".

I suspect the loot rarity in this menu is specific to the biom you are foraging in, as well as seasonal availability. Although I would expect there to be herbs available in a vegetation biom. Unless it's winter, or counts residential lawns as vegetation. I'd hazard a guess that it is not tied to the loot rarity settings for standard loot.

On 11/27/2022 at 2:29 PM, bpdlr said:

I suspect this is a bug in how the info is displayed only, I assume you're finding items as you'd expect?

The pertient code is (comments mine):

[1] = {text = getText"Sandbox_Rarity_option1", chance = 5}, --None
		[2] = {text = getText"Sandbox_Rarity_option2", chance = 10}, --Insanely Rare
		[3] = {text = getText"Sandbox_Rarity_option4", chance = 50}, -- Rare
		[4] = {text = getText"Sandbox_Rarity_option5", chance = 1000}, --Normal
		[5] = {text = getText"Sandbox_Rarity_option6", chance = 1}, --Common
		[6] = {text = getText"Sandbox_Rarity_option7", chance = 0}, --Abundant

I think rows 5 & 6 have been added in the wrong place and it should be somthing like:

[1] = {text = getText"Sandbox_Rarity_option1", chance = 0}, --None		
		[2] = {text = getText"Sandbox_Rarity_option2", chance = 1}, --Insanely Rare
		[3] = {text = getText"Sandbox_Rarity_option4", chance = 5}, --Rare
		[4] = {text = getText"Sandbox_Rarity_option5", chance = 10}, --Normal
		[5] = {text = getText"Sandbox_Rarity_option6", chance = 50}, --Common
		[6] = {text = getText"Sandbox_Rarity_option7", chance = 1000}, --Abundant

Example: the value 4 will display as None (because 4 is less than 5) on the current version, but would display as Rare on the amended version.

5 hours ago, Hugo Qwerty said:

I suspect this is a bug in how the info is displayed only, I assume you're finding items as you'd expect?

I am finding a lot of eggs which I thought would be rare so I guess this makes a lot of sense, thanks for tracking down the bug!

Archived