Farm of Fear

nasKo

fof.png

Let’s get something out of the way first then. Ugh. We feel so unclean doing what we’re about to do. SORRY. SORRY EVERYONE…

sa_2022-1024x576.png

All the other games were posting Steam Awards links like that, so we did too. Don’t vote for us if you’d rather not, but if you do – well click on the above massive intrusive image and that would be swell.

So, back to business, we released some final-ish fixes for the current stable build yesterday – the changelist for which can be found here.

There may well be another smaller patch, early next week, with some other minor changes – namely a few small anti-cheat measures, a fix for some modded textures and a bit of metal walls weirdness that still needs addressing.

B42 FARMING

This week we’re going over to Blair, and his current mission on overhauling our Farming system. Now, priority number one is to get things more tactile and animation-led with farming: when you use a watering can we want it through a direct mouse-click and not a maze of sub-menus.

image-45.png

Away from this, however, we are also making the overall system more complex, varied and interesting. Elements of this already coded into the 42 mainframe include:

• Plants have growing seasons, and for most crops there are one or two optimal planting months. You’ll be able to read the best month to plant your crops on the back of seed packets, and if you plant at the wrong time of year you’ll get a reduced yield, and perhaps the risk of producing sickly plants.
  • Appropriate plants, such as Potatoes, can be planted using the vegetable itself.
  • You’ll be able to dry seed Corn and Peas to preserve them for planting next year.
  • Plants can accumulate slugs and snails for the player to deal with – either using looted pest control, or perhaps using a folksy remedy. Nearby slug repellent plants such as Rosemary will help too.
  • Rosemary is one of several herbs added as well. They tend to grow more quickly, and when harvested are knocked back a few growth stages –  and then can be harvested again later. The herbs you pick can also be used to propagate new herb patches while they’re still fresh, and can be dried as well.
image-44.png
  • We are expanding the need to water your crops to houseplants. Potted indoor vegetation that players find in the world will now be living – similar, but not identical, to crops. They need to be watered, can fall victim to diseases, and will become visibly unwell before they die and become a dried husk. This also means that they will be another cool signifier of the days that have elapsed since the beginning of the Knox Event – since in time all the plants in homes, shops, the mall etc will wither and die.
image-46.png

Elsewhere, we’ve been seeing what animals look like without their clothes/skin on. We’re thinking that these look realistic but a little too fatty and should have a little more muscle on show – but it’s interesting nonetheless.

Skinned_Sheep.png

These past two weeks we’ve also made a lot of progress with getting the previously shelved fire system back on track, including the ability for the game to have liquid-looking Molotov fire FX on the ground. The actual visuals are going to be fine-tuned and improved soon, so we’d rather not share images of it, but rest assured it’s going to be pretty cool.

Finally, another quick bump for the Spiffo plush that Makeship are creating for us – which is something that the community has been asking for since forever.

If you want one you’ve got two weeks to put your order in.

In case you want to give it for Christmas then Mash has also created a certificate of gifting intent that will hopefully come in useful.

This week’s road-side (well, centre) picnic from Athena. A changelist of all our pre-release and post-release patches since the 41 beta began can be found here. The Centralized Block of Italicised Text would like to direct your attention to the PZ Wiki should you feel like editing or amending something, and the PZ Mailing List that can send you update notifications once builds get released. We also live on Twitter right here! Our Discord is open for chat and hijinks too.

Loving what Indie Stone is doing with the farming system! Will there be any consideration for indoor farming mechanics, especially during the winter season? This can be an immersive mechanic to consider, especially for modded permafrost playthroughs that likely will not see the yields of the other seasons, and the winter challenges. Something like glass houses, availability for sunlight by being parked nearby a window, while also factoring temperature of an indoor room, could be fascinating for indoor crops.

1 hour ago, UdderlyEvelyn said:

That mean zombie animals are on the table? I've planned to do zombie cows if you don't, but if you do that'll save me some work. xD

Farm stuff looks great!

No, we're leaving those to modders.

6 hours ago, Skyfarer said:

Loving what Indie Stone is doing with the farming system! Will there be any consideration for indoor farming mechanics, especially during the winter season? This can be an immersive mechanic to consider, especially for modded permafrost playthroughs that likely will not see the yields of the other seasons, and the winter challenges. Something like glass houses, availability for sunlight by being parked nearby a window, while also factoring temperature of an indoor room, could be fascinating for indoor crops.

I'm not sure, but there is a suspicion that the fire system has something to do with temperature, as well as the ability to manipulate parameters. Fire is the ultimate form of heat. The opposite is cold. Apparently the cold will be the starting point. Will the world warm up depending on the season? Will the temperature drop depth be adjustable? - I think yes. Perhaps there will be a temperature map? - Maybe.
I build my guesses based on the memory of the demonstration of the fire system. There was talk about the properties of combustibility. But I am also overshadowed by the thought that it seems like they wanted to postpone the temperature system or not even develop it. I would like to hear a comment.

Ah finally farming being reworked! I guess we'll need sunlight to make them grow now. So much more can be done, like building a greenhouse, using water sprinklers, hoses, scarecrows, removing weeds... and I hope this skill will become useful to up because right now, a newbie in farming (lvl 0) knows how much water a plant needs, knows how healthy the plant is, what kind of disease it has, when it is seed-bearing...

Sorry I'm getting a bit too enthusiastic.

Any difference between plants growing indoors vs outdoors?

What if i want to decorate my safehouse with a houseplant but all available houseplants in the world are already dead?

Crop rotation? Natural fertility of the soil (e.g. sand vs dirt)?

Edited by Toshis

• 2 months later...
7 hours ago, EnigmaGrey said:

Those are corpses.

I understood , but I think will be better to add more polygons for models of animals ( especially for face ). Looks not good now. Well I mean you shouldn't be doing super quality , but the model is really poor and made very rough now.

Maybe for debug it's good but not for future release of B42

Edited by Nazarito22

11 hours ago, EnigmaGrey said:

It’s fine. You’ll never be that close or at that specific angle to see anymore roughness then present on most models in the game, anyway.

I just want the game to be great, it really deserves it and it has really great potential. A large number of mods confirm this. 🙂

Edited by Nazarito22