Random Zombie Characteristic Settings

Bullet_Magnate

Everyone's probably aware that the Sandbox options now permit setting several zombie characteristics (such as Speed and Strength) to Random.  

What I'm wondering is, for each item set to Random, is the chance for each of the specific settings that can result even, or is there a curve? 

Let's take Speed as an example; setting to Random means each zombie may be a shambler, fast shambler, or sprinter.  Is there an even 1/3 chance for each category, or are the percentages skewed so that there will be (for example) fewer sprinters than shamblers / fast shamblers? 

Whatever the answer is for Speed, is it the same for all other randomizable characteristics? 

I'm not sure, and was wondering if anyone out there had insights.  

• 1 month later...

From my trials with that option, my conclusion was that it is literally random.

Each and every zombie has a literally random chance to be fast, strong, weak, sprinting, etc.

And as you might imagine, it SURE SEEMED like a lot more were Strong Sprinters than weak shamblers! LOL

But I believe its totally random.

• 1 month later...

Update on this ... my current playthrough is with EVERY zombie characteristic (speed, strength, senses, intelligence) set to Random.  Based on what I've seen so far (several hours of play) the vast majority of the zeds still seem to be slow shamblers with poor senses and little cognition. 

So, as least as of this writing, it appears to me that there is some sort of curve "under the hood" within the Random setting -- i.e., the extreme ends of the characteristic scales are more rare.   

• 1 month later...

Update to the update -- new playthrough (RIP last guy), again with all random settings, but also vanilla / no mods.  One of the mods I was using might have been interfering with the distribution of zed speed categories, because this time I am getting WAY more sprinters.  Feels closer to the 25-ish percent you'd expect if the determination was wholly random, with no curve.  So, still not sure, but now leaning in the direction of "probably completely random."

17 hours ago, Bullet_Magnate said:

Update to the update -- new playthrough (RIP last guy), again with all random settings, but also vanilla / no mods.  One of the mods I was using might have been interfering with the distribution of zed speed categories, because this time I am getting WAY more sprinters.  Feels closer to the 25-ish percent you'd expect if the determination was wholly random, with no curve.  So, still not sure, but now leaning in the direction of "probably completely random."

That's disappointing actually. Liked your previous observation and conclusion way more than this =/

20 minutes ago, getstoopid said:

That's disappointing actually. Liked your previous observation and conclusion way more than this =/

Yeah, I would definitely prefer something other than a straight random distribution.  Hopefully at some point they'll make it possible to specify percentages in sandbox mode.  

That said, I am enjoying the challenge that comes with making all the zombie characteristics completely random ... always interesting knowing there are probably 2-3 sprinters in any given crowd, and every so often one of them will not only be fast, but maybe strong, tough, and/or smart(-ish) ... :blink:

On 3/21/2023 at 1:55 PM, Bullet_Magnate said:

I am enjoying the challenge

Make that WAS enjoying the challenge ... until I encountered a group of 4 zeds at close range and 3 turned out to be sprinters.  

Starting next run ... this time using a mod that sets the sprinters to 5% of the zed population ... 

I do hope it becomes a vanilla option at some point.  In the mean time there are some good mods that allow you to tinker with the percentages. 

I think the one I'm using is called "Random Zombies."  Seems like 5% sprinters is a about the sweet spot for me.  Just enough for the occasional (terrifying) surprise ...  :) 

Archived