Sleeping in a bed should provide warmth

thiosk

I think this kind of balancing should be left to the beta phase as it isn't actually affecting your game in any way at all. The dev team is really small and tiny balancing takes a proportionally large chunk of time compared to the actual benefits gained from such a tweak.

This doesn't mean that it won't happen ever, I'm sure it will. However there should be some kind of order as where things are done.

Do remember that this is still very much an alpha game. :)

That being said, I think once we get there, the temperature system will be quite good. At least if it gets even half the attention any other features so far have.

Beds don't keep you warm, you can be warm even on the ground - if you're in sleeping bag on top of a mat that separates you from the ground itself. The same way bed alone won't keep you warm.

Running long distances should keep you warm too.

In that case you should overheat as well, when running in a warm day.

I agree with you, if the room is cold and clammy ...... well, the bed will be the same. (Of course you can warm a bit)!

The same for the road :)

Beds don't keep you warm, you can be warm even on the ground - if you're in sleeping bag on top of a mat that separates you from the ground itself. The same way bed alone won't keep you warm.

That's... Wrong. That is so very wrong. In a cold climate, sleeping on a bed without blankets is the much better choice over sleeping on the ground. The reason for this is insulation. The ground is poorly insulated and will constantly drain body heat from you. The bed on the other hand is basically a suspended pocket of cushy air. While it may be cold at first, once you've lain on it for some time it'll start to warm up and feed the warmth back into your body.

If it's cold out the bed is always the superior choice.

If you're talking about mattress with multiple layers that both have dense material on the top that allow you to build up the temperature and softer (or pocket type of thingy) beneath it to create a buffer, then I do agree. But most of them are simple material and air with springs that is getting the temperature out of your body and makes you kind of floating, with everything around you taking the heat out. Well not as bad as an air mattress, but still. Because of that in generic situation (not counting rich district) I would choose a mat and ground over bed, where mat would give me enough density to build up my own warmth and shield me from a ground at the same time. Also because there is nothing between mat and ground for air to circulate, it won't get colder because of that.

As an analogy take a look at bridge and normal road - where is road icing going to occur first .. of course on the bridge, because it has nothing beneath it, so it's chilled from both air above it and below it, without a buffer to hold the temperature.

Air is a far better insulator than the ground. The pocket of air in a cheap mattress is better for you overall than the ground, which will leach the heat away and diffuse it away from you. If I have any choice in the matter at all I'll always pick the mattress over the ground.

The bridge analogy doesn't work because the air flows over and under the bridge draining heat away from the construction materials, lowering the overall temperature of the road. This is in direct opposition to the mattress, where airflow is restricted and thus allows warmth to build up over time.

Think you're forgetting that bed (mattress) is in the air. While I don't agree with your choice, I do accept you have a different preference/experience than me... similar to my character feeling sad when eating beans from can, while I do enjoy them.

>.<

We're talking about pockets of air and the flow of surrounding air. The air inside the mattress is restricted and doesn't flow. This means that the heat inside it builds up whenever you're resting on top of it because air is an excellent insulator of heat when the flow is restricted. The ground is a poor insulator of heat, meaning the heat from your body drains away when you're on the ground. If you're trying to stay warm in a cold environment, sleeping on a mattress is the better option over sleeping on the ground.

This isn't about personal preferences. This is about keeping warm in a cold survival situation.

Thought I finished that circulating argument by acknowledging you may have different experience. But if you insist...

Trust me - I was living almost all my life in an environment you could consider cold with temperatures at winter going even below -20 (in 80s it went below -30) with snow and shit (in 90s we had snow for 130 days about 50cm thick). I loved to sleep at my grandmother place with bedding filled with chicken feathers that was really warm and comfy. But if I'd sleep without any type of cover, I'd choose simple mat (even blanket) on the ground over sleeping on bed (mattress), and that's coming from my personal experience.

What sort of conditions were you sleeping in? Were you inside? What kind of available heat sources did you have?

Just because you were comfortable in those conditions doesn't mean doing without proper bedding is the best choice. We're talking about the apocalypse here. About the end of most basic creature comforts like central heating where the only available source of heat would be an open fire. If you're sleeping mext to a campfire or a fireplace or have some other available source of heat then sleeping on the ground isn't that bad a choice. But if it's the dead of winter and your safehouse doesn't have a fireplace and the power goes out your best bet for staying warm is sleeping on a mattress.

I was helping with some construction during an Autumn and these were first three events when temperature outside suddenly went below 10'C. Every time we were arriving to the bower(?) Friday evening/night with about the same clothing thickness every time:

1) outside 6'C, inside 5-10?, started a fire in fireplace and went to sleep (bed/mattress with ~30cm of gap between the ground), woke up chilled next morning

2) outside 5'C, inside 5'C (got there at about 10pm), again fire and sleep (this time blanket on the ground), felt good next morning

3) outside 4'C, inside 6'C (brought thermometer), again fire and sleep (this time sleeping bag on camping mat on ground), felt excellent next morning (had to go for a leak in the middle of the night and noticed that place was warmed by fire to 17'C - think every time)

Well that's just odd. Whenever I go to sleep during the wintert I always turn the thermostat on my furnace waaaay down (lowest setting it heats to is 50 degrees Fahrenheit, about 10 degrees Celsius when converted) because I like my house to be as cold as a witch's tit when I sleep and I never wake up chilled when I sleep on my mattress.

How far away is the bed from the fireplace, and how far away from the fireplace was the spot of ground you slept on?

Hmmm, I'd say like 1,8m in diagonal to the bed, and like 1,6m to the place on the ground (next to a bed). All distances are to the head.

Bower at that stage wasn't insulated as well as it is now, so after first good burn you could have like 28-30'C near the ceiling and 8-10'C lower next to a floor. Also for some strange reason that first night of the weekend I was always sleeping in my clothing, think only taking my jacket off and using it as a cover (strange that I felt warmer that way, than wearing it on me).

Randomly this winter I also remembered why good sports clothing is layered, where I felt chilled at one night in bed, and during next night after feeling cold and not building up the warmth, I took the very thin decorative blanket for the bed and tossed it on top of the quilt I was under. That made huuuge difference and after few minutes I managed to built up my own warmth that I felt asleep right away.

That is something which could potentially be considered as a suggestion... but I guess from the game perspective it's easier to have a magical clothing capabilities: +6, +15, ... ;-)

• 4 weeks later...

Its somewhat annoying when I sleep in a queen sized bed with an obvious comforter and the freezing moodle comes up. Even if my room is 50 degrees, I'm not freezing under blankets.

Yanking the thread back towards the OP I like the idea here. But I'd also like houses to keep you warm, or for there to be fireplaces in houses you can light to warm up the space (and not burn the house down like a campfire).

• 4 weeks later...