the Addiction Mod

7Roses

this mod will be a mod that adds addictions to PZ,

nicotine, alcohol, caffeine will have some extra difficulties.

the mod will give you however more buffs while using such drugs. but be aware some drugs/addictive items can be helpfull and not addictive in small quantities but be aware. like in real live if you smoke a lot of sigarretes or drink a bottle of wiskey strait up you will become addictive to them.

while I'm not that cruel to add addictions I will also give a way to get clean again.

(this however will take some thoughts from the player as you will need to have the addictive chemicals in your body, yet not to high so you will remove some of it's addictive effect.)

while I'm not going to release this mod in the first 2 weeks (vacation/no internet/still implementing the core)

I'am open for suggestions about addictive things that could add some value in PZ (addictive items that will not only give a negative effect when used, but also a possitive)

Sounds cool and challenging!

yea it is in fact challenging already :P at least the coding part :)

but I hope it will also make playing PZ more interesting cause you need to think about the consequences of for example smoking a cigarette, cause while it will give you a stress outlet when used causally it will give you stress when your addicted and don't have any nicotine in your body.

Sounds cool and challenging!

yea it is in fact challenging already :P at least the coding part :)

but I hope it will also make playing PZ more interesting cause you need to think about the consequences of for example smoking a cigarette, cause while it will give you a stress outlet when used causally it will give you stress when your addicted and don't have any nicotine in your body.

Haha it was actually not the code but the gameplay I thought sounded challenging - I bet the code is too.

Anyways .. I love your thinking!

Ah shame on me ... thought you posted a download link already :(

Well can't wait to get my hands on it anyway :)

well cause I'm of to a vacation home without internet in a day or so it will at least be another 10 days before I can even post something slightly working :(

but I will try to work on it on vacation :)

:o I did not saw that!

(euwm your wip 0.2 link is death, can't really see what your mod does...)

is your mod a item mod only or does it also add some mechanics via lua files to the game?

cause my intent is not really to add items, more to add the mechanics of addictions into PZ (well I will add items but those will be there because I intend to do more than overhaul the cigarettes)

if it's only items then it should be possible to add your items to certain addictions once I get everything working

Sounds very interesting, good luck! :) Are you going to make one negative effect or different stages? Just to make a difference between "I would really like a cold beer now" and "must... have... alcohol!"

And I think it's okay to have multiple mods for more or less the same purpose. That's what has happened with every other game that uses mods and it has never been a bad thing.

Any chance you would want to add Meth to your addictions mod? People might get mad, but it would give you superhuman buffs for a few hours with a huge crash. And it would slowly kill you and make your body weaker over prolonged use and subject to infection faster as well as be hard to make, don't use the real life recipe, make it something PZish, and have a chance to explode or something.

If you add that, combined with RoboMats sleep mod, if you use to much meth, the crash will make you pass out for hours. I used to know some meth heads who lived near me years ago, their house could be on fire and they would burn to death sleeping. So if the crash happens while the survivor methhead is hacking away at zombies like Superman, he would just get super weak and drop to the ground passed out.

You could call it something not Meth so people won't freak as much. Zombock, I dunno.

love the idea :) and it was for that reason I placed the topic on the forum before I was going on vacation :)

so you lovely people could give me some addictions to add :) or ideas to how you people think the addiction system should work (cause I had a system in mind, but asking a lot of people's input gives in most cases a better result)

Yeah, the old version doesn't really much.
My general intention is to add realistic and fun game mechanics.
I initially tried to create a logical calculation in text form for the nicotine addiction first and other addictions in mind.
The topic addiction is complex and difficult to represent it realistically.

Mega-Addiction-Mod?

Sounds interesting, but that is exactly what I've planned. :D

I thought on: Nicotine, Alcohol, Coffein, Sugar, THC, LSD, Opium, Amphetamines....

with all the lovely side effects and withdrawal symptoms.

You could tell me via PM, what kind of system do you have in mind. (if you don't want to present it too early)

euwm maybe, but the release will also have some api functions to add custom items and/or addictions to the mod

also I rater add addictive items that have good as well as bad effects.

like nicotine will relive stress in low quantities (and low frequency of use) but will be addictive and stress creating if you use it to much.

? kinyoshi how did you know I was eating (non-drugged) brownies? :P

euwm maybe, but the release will also have some api functions to add custom items and/or addictions to the mod

also I rater add addictive items that have good as well as bad effects.

like nicotine will relive stress in low quantities (and low frequency of use) but will be addictive and stress creating if you use it to much.

? kinyoshi how did you know I was eating (non-drugged) brownies? :P

:P MMMmmmm Brownies... Hey don't forget that you can actually die from nicotine, and it doesn't really take much... 

• 2 months later...

Are these addictions mods still in WIP? I'm making one mod working with player moodles and part of it would be similar to these so i dont want make something what is already done.

There is no problem with having multiple mods dealing with the same game-mechanics :) 

Looking forward to your release.

• 2 weeks later...

yea no problem at all, actually it's still in WIP as I got a job some month's ago and had to adapt/learn a lot new things for that job (so less free time)

I only restarted my development about a day ago (srr for everyone wanting this mod faster.)